Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear wheel alignment (DIY solution)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    I thought this was only an issue with the 2014/2015 models, but I might be wrong. I rotate my tires every oil change so I suppose I would not notice wear issues?
    https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/t...subishi-mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How is it that no one in the aftermarket has manufactured a rear axle that is adjustable?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 2,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    How is it that no one in the aftermarket has manufactured a rear axle that is adjustable?
    There's no money in it. These are cheap cars sold in small quantities, and the problem is generally only seen in a small subset.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    And some dealers did try to deny/delay their way out of the repair. But I think most who needed a new rear axle (under warranty) and got one...it fixed their problem. If I had a Mirage (under warranty) and the rear axle was out of whack, I'd let the dealer give me a new one before I did anything else.
    Any dealer who spots this modification will use it to deny warranty claims. Consider this method as a last resort.

With the mounting holes enlarged, would a good bump shift the axle out of position easier than before? Just speculating on what this might lead to.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The old-timers will remember guys posting threads like... "Why is my left rear tire bald at 8,000 miles?" or "I'm on my third set of tires at 30k miles". Thankfully we don't hear crazy stuff like that anymore.
    Now it's just Tesla owners complaining of fast tire wear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    With the mounting holes enlarged, would a good bump shift the axle out of position easier than before? Just speculating on what this might lead to.
    How about the eccentric washers from the castor adjustment of a Silverado 1500? Bet it is a bolt in.

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K100026-.../dp/B00498WLU6
    Last edited by Grumpy Bear; 04-25-2024 at 03:54 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A pair of heavy washers with the original hole size tack welded or pinned in place once the position is finalized would prevent that from happening.
    Another good idea for this problem.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (04-18-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This issue is a good example of fitting statistics AROUND the reality. These are HUGE windows for toe and camber. A monkey could weld that up with those specs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The same reason Koni or Bilstein won't even entertain making a kit for it. Not worth their investment.

That is straight out of their mouths at SEMA.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

I've yet to see one of these cars eat rear tires(first hand) and I don't rotate tires very often. I'm really surprised to not see at least one or two out of the 50 currently in the (entire) fleet, and the other 10 or so that were completely totaled over the last 9 1/2 years.

I'm more worried about being hit by lightning than my trailing axle being bent. Most, if not all the Mirages that I've had aligned(farmed out) had the rears out slightly. But of course I don't think I ever kept records of the specs for myself.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-18-2024 at 07:43 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Hello all,

Have noted in prior posts a whistling sound, went in for my post winter brake service, turns out that the rear alignment is severely off and out of spec, as others have noted.

Did not consider a warranty claim because as others have noted, there is a 90-100% risk of rear axle misalignment from the factory for these mirages.

Posting this video of a possible solution to the rear wheel alignment problem.

Before:

Attachment 26956

After:

Attachment 26957

Video:

I may sounds like a complete noob by asking this question but shouldnt the post alignment test result be showing completely green in every aspect? No red nor yellow as shown on the pre alignment test?

Green: passed (within specs)
    Yellow: neutral
    Red: failed (out of specs)

I find the post test result odd.

Heck my recent alignment test result at dealer is nearly identical and they said it was adjusted to factory specifications. I am not convinced it accurately done as I am inclined to give a below score on the CSR survey provided by Mitsu.

Thought?

Last edited by defensivetackle99; 04-18-2024 at 09:20 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)