Thread: Blowout just past the Cat.....

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Blowout just past the Cat.....

Name:  IMG_20240420_171532906~2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  93.0 KBThe collector pipe weld let go just after the catalytic converter....just how screwed am I? Some guys would perform a decatectomy, but that's against the law....would the exhaust get much louder without one?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I got it up in the air (a bit) and see that there's another (bigger) cat upstream that has what I figure are O2 sensors attached to it.
    I figger the smaller can in this photo is a resonator? If not, our Drive Clean program here in Ontariairio is effectively gutted & this car's next owner will be Kenny's U-Pull because I plan on driving it 'til it poops the bed.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That can be sleeved and welded by someone who knows what they are doing.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

strawboss (04-21-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    That can be sleeved and welded by someone who knows what they are doing.
    Ok thanks for that information,as my welding skills aren't up to something like this repair, and I found an aftermarket vendor that sells a " lower cat pipe" to fit between the upper cat flange and the muffler, the vendor is "ontario muffler " ( they ship from New York State) for $227 Cdn with shipping for $27 Cdn. If it doesn't get tagged by Customs for Taxes/Duty crossing over it's a pretty good deal, even with it should come out around $300 Cdn....I may give these guys a try, because my local Mitsubishi dealer loves to sell $300 brake drums......https://www.ebay.ca/itm/186257106004...YAAOSw2wJlp-H1
    Last edited by strawboss; 04-21-2024 at 12:46 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to strawboss For This Useful Post:

Johnny Mullet (04-21-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Johnny's right. That exact same thing happened to my old Ford Ranger a few years ago. Take it to your local Muffler shop or Indy garage & I'll bet they can fix it WAYY cheeper & faster. I think my Ranger repair was like $30.00 & a round of Timmy's coffee for the shop
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-21-2024),strawboss (04-21-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ok, I'm convinced! I'll go to my local garage up the road & see if his welding skills are better than mine!

I remember brazing the tube/banjo bolt assemblies back together on an old straight six air injector tree exhaust manifold back in the day, but that was easier somehow....I could get the whole assembly laid out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,042 Posts
    strawboss - What I'm about to add here, is not something I know factually. I've only read it, on more credible website locations that less. That rear catalyst really doesn't do much. They say it mainly helps when the car fires up. However, that doesn't *seem* right to me as the closer cat would see more heat and tend to fire off sooner. But it could be the type of catalyst the 2nd cat is may light quicker and easier. But what I read is that after the first cat fires up and is doing it's thing, the 2nd one is doing little to nothing.

And, that 2nd one is unmonitored. It should cause you no problems, even with your own gobment, if it were to just fall off. The first one will still be doing it's thing. If you do bypass it, or remove it, I would be VERY INTERESTED in how the car sounds.

I've checked into buying a manual pipe bender and making my own in-home cat back exhaust for my Mirage. Leaving the first cat, and removing the 2nd. And then playing around with mufflers / resonators and the lack thereof. I think this 3-Tapper sounds great, very much like a 6V71. And I'd like to hear it sing a little more clearly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

strawboss (04-22-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    strawboss - What I'm about to add here, is not something I know factually. I've only read it, on more credible website locations that less. That rear catalyst really doesn't do much. They say it mainly helps when the car fires up. However, that doesn't *seem* right to me as the closer cat would see more heat and tend to fire off sooner. But it could be the type of catalyst the 2nd cat is may light quicker and easier. But what I read is that after the first cat fires up and is doing it's thing, the 2nd one is doing little to nothing.

And, that 2nd one is unmonitored. It should cause you no problems, even with your own gobment, if it were to just fall off. The first one will still be doing it's thing. If you do bypass it, or remove it, I would be VERY INTERESTED in how the car sounds.

I've checked into buying a manual pipe bender and making my own in-home cat back exhaust for my Mirage. Leaving the first cat, and removing the 2nd. And then playing around with mufflers / resonators and the lack thereof. I think this 3-Tapper sounds great, very much like a 6V71. And I'd like to hear it sing a little more clearly.
    7milesout, empty your mailbox....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,042 Posts
    Done!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    Ok thanks for that information,as my welding skills aren't up to something like this repair, and I found an aftermarket vendor that sells a " lower cat pipe" to fit between the upper cat flange and the muffler, the vendor is "ontario muffler " ( they ship from New York State) for $227 Cdn with shipping for $27 Cdn. If it doesn't get tagged by Customs for Taxes/Duty crossing over it's a pretty good deal, even with it should come out around $300 Cdn....I may give these guys a try, because my local Mitsubishi dealer loves to sell $300 brake drums......https://www.ebay.ca/itm/186257106004...YAAOSw2wJlp-H1

confirm the material this thing is made from. Mild steel will sh*t the bed within a year with these tiny low heat engines. You blew out a weld on a stainless exhaust system. Think about it.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)