Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ciao! ModernistDinosaur here!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Ciao! ModernistDinosaur here!

Hi all, I'm making a formal introduction after I posted about a curious used Mirage.

Long-story-short: my 2003 Golf TDI is aging. Although I've adored that car, life is such that I'm not going to be able to give it the geriatric care it so thoroughly deserves! As such, I've been trying to find a suitable replacement, which has been perplexing to say the least.

To me, car styling has been in a steep decline since the late 00s, so aesthetics are generally out for me. I've chosen to focus on: value, reliability, low cost-of-ownership, and general utilitarianism. I had been looking at Toyota (Scion) Yaris/iA, but finding one with a manual transmission has proven difficult.

In an unexpected turn, I've found myself considering a car I thought I never would: the Mitsubishi Mirage. Do I like the look of the car? Not really... But I like that it's small, inexpensive, and simple with a good track record!

Keeping my eyes open for the right one! Looking forward to bouncing ideas off of you guys!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ModernistDinosaur For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-22-2024),Grumpy Bear (04-22-2024),MetroMPG (04-29-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 1,042 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ModernistDinosaur View Post
    Do I like the look of the car? Not really... But I like that it's small, inexpensive, and simple with a good track record!
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I do love my Mirage. But I don't think it is the sexiest car I've ever had. And, this weekend I saw a blue G4, and man, that sucker was sharp. I wanted a hatch because I have never had one before. I do like it. More than a sedan ... yes and no. I do think the G4 is better looking. But in all cases, I like the skinny tire look on these cars. The skinny tire look has really grown on me. I don't know why, but it has.

20 years ago, I wanted a VW Jetta 1.9L diesel, with a 5-speed manual. But it just wasn't in the cards. I worked for Toyota at that time and got a 2004 Corolla LE 5-speed instead. And saved a whole ton of money since I was a Toyota employee. That Corolla was bad ass, all the way up to the day my wife wadded it up. Seems like that happened in 2018 or 2019.

The Mirage is everything you surmise it to be. It is a cheap car, that is very valuable because it is very reliable, very cheap to own, the 5-speed models are even fun to drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What's up 7milesout? Good to e-meet!

My dad has a mk4 Jetta TDI! The ALH engine really is bulletproof! I love that you worked for Toyota, but wanted a VW. <3

Thanks for confirming my intuition! I think the Mirage will fit the bill nicely... It's hard to find "just a car" today!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's hard to find "just a car" today!
    I know what you mean. For all I know, new fancy cars might read our minds and pop up a commercial related to our thoughts and annoy the living crap out of me. Like trying to watch a youtube video, commercial after commercial after commercial.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is what Mark and I (and likely many others on here) suggest is the KING of MIRAGES.

It would appear that there's nothing wrong with this unit, except the price...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/a...-615c6f3082f4/

5-speed
    low miles
    manual hvac
    134a refrigerant
    Heck, it probably cranks out 79 hp!

The king!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    More fEaTuReS = more things to break.

"Good design is as little design as possible." —Dieter Rams

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Like I had mentioned before. Blu 5 speed G4 = 7MO Edition!

Yeah more features = more things to break. I had understood this once I got a taste of it from my ex Accord. Hate sunroof.

If my G4 crashes today, I’ll probably go back to base G4 5 speed but it won’t be that easy.
    Last edited by defensivetackle99; 04-22-2024 at 07:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The blue G4 I saw Saturday was badass. But I could tell it was new enough to NOT be a 5-speed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The blue G4 I saw Saturday was badass. But I could tell it was new enough to NOT be a 5-speed.
    I hear ya. The latest model year for the Bluey G4 with the 5 speed was 2021. It was my first choice to procure my ex G4 5 speed and I was too late.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Hi all, I'm making a formal introduction after I posted about a curious used Mirage.

Long-story-short: my 2003 Golf TDI is aging. Although I've adored that car, life is such that I'm not going to be able to give it the geriatric care it so thoroughly deserves! As such, I've been trying to find a suitable replacement, which has been perplexing to say the least.

To me, car styling has been in a steep decline since the late 00s, so aesthetics are generally out for me. I've chosen to focus on: value, reliability, low cost-of-ownership, and general utilitarianism. I had been looking at Toyota (Scion) Yaris/iA, but finding one with a manual transmission has proven difficult.

In an unexpected turn, I've found myself considering a car I thought I never would: the Mitsubishi Mirage. Do I like the look of the car? Not really... But I like that it's small, inexpensive, and simple with a good track record!

Keeping my eyes open for the right one! Looking forward to bouncing ideas off of you guys!
    '
    I'm 61 years old, & all of my vehicles have been manuals (it's the first sort I hit when car shopping). My most fun to drive manual was a 1997 VW Golf (base model with a 2.0L engine). I can relate to where you are coming from.

I own a 2017 Mirage ES manual for one main reason. White Bear Mitsubishi was selling them brand new for $7,500-9,500 for most of that year. Where you fell in that price range depended on how many $500 rebates (Loyalty, VIP, & Military) you qualified for. I didn't qualify for any of the rebates, & I still paid less than 66% window sticker price for my Mirage. I gave up looking at used Mazda2, Yaris, & Fit hatchbacks, & began exploring the Mirage. It was the European reviews of the Space Star that helped me the most.

A Mirage must have 3 things (affordable, reliable, & economical) going for it to be appealing to me. A brand new car for under $10,000 OTD checked off the affordable requirement for me at the time. I hope to go 15+ years without a car payment, and my 2017 Mirage is extending the life of my used 2011 Forester (that I use for towing or extremely bad weather).

I still think the Mazda2, Yaris, & Fit are nice cars. For a long time, I had considered a used 2000-05 Toyota Echo, but I like hatchbacks & small wagons better.

I compare my 2017 Mirage to my former 1978 Honda Civic Wagon (63 hp), 1990 Ford Festiva/63 hp (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, & sold by Ford - paid $5,300 brand new), & the 1997 VW Golf (family car my former ex drove the most).

I can't say I like everything about the Mirage better, because I don't. The Golf was way more fun to drive. I love & miss the flat storage of my old Civic Wagon. The Festiva was a tough little car! I did stuff with that car that I wouldn't try with my Mirage.

Having said that, I really like my Mirage. I like it because it was cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, and cheap to drive. That must make me cheap! LOL!

I couldn't buy a new Mirage today & like it. Two main reasons - manuals no longer exist & paying twice as much for basically the same car would SUCK!

Would I buy a used Mirage today? Sure, without any reservations!

I like the 2017+ models (some minor updates were made) personally.

2017 ES & SE manuals existed that year. A 2017 SE manual is very nicely equipped with 14" alloy wheels.
    2018 ES manual - backup camera & Bluetooth became standard that year.
    2019 ES manual - factory cruise control & 6-way adjustable driver's seat became standard
    2020 ES manual - auto climate controls became standard again (was standard for all in 2014-15 Mirages).

I like cruise control, but hate auto climate controls. That makes the 2019 ES manual my dream Mirage. Cruise control can be added to any car, however. I wouldn't pass up a good deal over that feature alone.

The Mirage does not "wow" anyone during a test drive, but it has a charm of its own that grows on you!

Given how the car market has changed the past few years, I appreciate my Mirage more & more each day!