Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front strut avaliability

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    It all depends on what you want! Of course you can't make a race car out of a Mirage, and if you wanted a race car you probably should have bought something else.
    Me thinks: If your goal is to replace 200000+ mileage suspension parts, and to do it with a good and proven product without paying through the nose, I would go with Eibach springs and KYB shocks. The Eibach set of 4 springs is not really that expensive. They are called lowering springs, but are quite a bit firmer and don't sag so much under load, so it doesn't bottom out as before. There is not much lowering from them, but are so much firmer and therefore better on bad roads. The KYB shocks, especially the more recent sort, are also a bit firmer than the OEM. Compared to a softer 2015 style suspension with 200 000miles, that should be a huge improvement. Compared to OEM part prices, it is also beneficial for your wallet!

The parts you mentioned are very much more pricey. In these parts and probably in Canada too, for that much $$$ you could get an entire and perfectly useable old used car. Like I said, it all depends on what you want.
    I would pay more if the quality were better.

The mirage is not a racecar, however, whatever the best gear available within reason I would use.

Given my lack of experience on the topic I am trying to understand more for sure.

The OEM are probably not what I am looking for based on your advice above.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 695 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    I would pay more if the quality were better.

The mirage is not a racecar, however, whatever the best gear available within reason I would use.

Given my lack of experience on the topic I am trying to understand more for sure.

The OEM are probably not what I am looking for based on your advice above.
    FYI The Eibach part number for a complete set of four springs is : E10-60-017-01-22 They should be available in Canada/USA.
    An aftermarket set of OEM style springs costs about half in these parts, (€80/US$80) but is not better than what the car came with.
    The KYB shocks have different part numbers here in Europe, so you could look up or contact KYB for the correct sort (the latest sort).
    The covers over the top of the front shocks should be checked, and if not OK replaced together with the shocks. Plenty of aftermarket choices, but also made by KYB. To replace the shocks, either get help from a friend, or look up in Youtoob and you will see. After front replacement, it will need an alignment, paticularly look at camber first, only then touch toe-in. There are how-to's for camber and toe-in in this forum.
    Last edited by foama; 05-11-2024 at 05:28 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-11-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    FYI The Eibach part number for a complete set of four springs is : E10-60-017-01-22 They should be available in Canada/USA.
    An aftermarket set of OEM style springs costs about half in these parts, (€80/US$80) but is not better than what the car came with.
    The KYB shocks have different part numbers here in Europe, so you could look up or contact KYB for the correct sort (the latest sort).
    The covers over the top of the front shocks should be checked, and if not OK replaced together with the shocks. Plenty of aftermarket choices, but also made by KYB. To replace the shocks, either get help from a friend, or look up in Youtoob and you will see. After front replacement, it will need an alignment, paticularly look at camber first, only then touch toe-in. There are how-to's for camber and toe-in in this forum.
    Many thanks. The roads here are extremely pot holled so I am trying to have an idea of what the correct parts to get are before the inevitable happens.

https://drifthq.com/en-ca/products/k...gas-shock-rear
    https://www.partsgeek.com/86k9z12-mi...-assembly.html