Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New Owner - First time driving automatic

Hi Frens,

Just picked up a 2022 Mirage Carbon with 19 000km on it.

Given the state of used vehicles here in Canada, I think I got a good deal on it. ($17 500 OTD all in). Which included a 180 day/10 000km no questions asked 3rd party warranty + the factory balance of the warranty which I believe after reading the booklets is 10yr 160 000km powertrain and 5yr 100 000km bumper to bumper. As well as a 2 week/1000km no questions asked return policy.

I picked it up as my old car (hyundai veloster turbo which I owned for 7 years) developed a severe engine issue / misfires / catastrophic damage while passing on the highway. Cases have been settled in the USA. In Canada there is still pending litigation.

I was quoted between $8500 - $13 000 to repair the engine. Just outside of warranty with hyundai giving me the 1 finger salute. So Fck them. It's in storage until the case / litigation is final. And hoping for the same result as the US, in which they will be forced to repair it free of charge. So I was looking for something that provided reliability / cheap operating expenses. Over power / high cost.

Any who, I spent a week diagnosing / quoting the job. A week of researching possible vehicle replacements. Then after 3 weeks without transportation pulled the trigger on this.

Spent the last week putting it through the gauntlet. Checking fluids. Checking for leaks. Trying to test for possible CVT issues, but I am not exactly sure how to test / signs to look out for (any suggestions?). It seems to ride fine in both D and Ds mode.

The vehicle history shows it was under sprayed on delivery new. And every 5000km had the oil change / tire rotation at the dealer. Then at 19 000km was detailed with an oil change and handed off to me. I like to go above and beyond maintenance schedules so will really be browsing around for ideas here.

What I love so far
    Amazing fuel economy. Getting around 5.8L/100 (small sample) using Ds mode. 4.1L/100 highway (80km sample), 5.4L/100km city only (200km sample). Combined with all (using Ds to pass / merge) it's sitting at 5.2L/100 (300km sample)

The sheer affordability in this economy. With gas prices where they are. (Veloster was eating oil like a shiv, and doing 9.8L/100km combined using premium (currently @ $2.19/L). Not to mention cheaper tires, cheaper pretty much everything to maintain and replace.

Cabin room, believe it or not. There is actually similar/same space for driver/passenger. And more space in the back for passengers than the veloster.

What I dislike
    Lack of fob / power locks. I overlooked this. While it's not a deal breaker. It is a tad annoying to make sure the trunk and all doors are locked manually before leaving the vehicle.

Lack of center console - Luckily I found something on amazon that replicates my old one. And solves this issue for just $70.

Headlights - coming from cars which always had aftermarket HIDs in them. I will be looking to change these for sure. Almost feels like you're just driving with DRLs at night.

Location of oil filter. Seems to be a nuisance if doing own oil changes with plenty in the way to create a mess when draining.

Neither here nor there is the CVT transmission. I am still in between on this. The mileage seems to be great, and I wasn't expecting the Ds mode to perform as it did for merging / passing. But I am also used to proper downshifting and having my clutch last car lifetimes, and brakes over 150 000km before wear. Still on the fence, but the mileage is amazing.

Apart from the service for the CVT oil and filter (which I will do at 30 000km @ the dealer). And the obvious Oil and filter changes every 5000km/3 months. What are things should I look into as far as keeping the car in tip top shape?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EricRogers For This Useful Post:

BigMW (05-05-2024)