Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reputable online OEM oil filter source

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    No one asked but....

I expect a filter to...well.... filter.

GM did a wear study decades ago and getting the crap out of your oil is key. ISO 4548-12 muti-pass test is based on 20 micro filtration efficiency. Test was based on a Beta Ratio of 75. Cleaner is better and it's on the box.

Purolator Pure One, FRAM XG, Royal Purple and AMOSIL EO head that list.

Mobil 1 and Purolator BOSS are rated at 30 micron. Sucking hind teat. Difference in wear is more than double.

Okay, I'll crall back in my hole.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

foama (05-10-2024),Fummins (05-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I always change my oil filter with each oil change. Otherwise, it would be like taking a shower & putting dirty underwear back on afterwards.
    In my mind, I always hear this analogy and I never come away satisfied. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with changing a filter every time. I've always changed the filter every time myself. Except for recently on my son's RX8. We put a Purolator Pure One on it and because that rotary is ... how to say this ... more directly responsive to good maintenance, he and I change that car's earl every 3,000 miles. So this last time I said F-it (not to him, I don't generally cuss in front of my sons, unless a democrat), let's leave it on one more 3,000 mile interval. We both agreed.

I don't look at it like underwear. Because cycled earl flows through a filter and then magically - presto-change-o the earl comes out clean as a whistle. Ok, not really. But the earl filter removes a lot of dirt. It doesn't add dirt. It catches or passes. So if you change to new earl with the same filter, the crud that's in the filter doesn't get released into the new oil ... if it did, that is one crap filter. The crud stays in the filter, and new crud continues to collect.

Here's how I'm looking at it. If I'm mowing grass with my pooooosh mower (and bagging), and I stop to empty the mower's bag into a grass bag, I can fit 3 mower bags of clippings into 1 "grass & leaf" bag. Why would I dump 1 bag of grass into it, leave it 1/3rd full, and go get another grass & leaf bag?

Now, I'm only just speculating. I know very little. But I suspect a 50% used oil filter *might* filter oil BETTER than a brand new one. In my mind I suspect the crud in the filter to actually help catch additional crud. The drawback being that the flow rate through the filter is going to go down as more and more crud collects in it. But could that reduced flow rate lead to a problem? Dunno. Maybe. Especially if your Mirage engine is low on earl already.

Tis an interesting topic, this thinking about using a used earl filter for more than 1 o.c.i.

Grumpy - I got a good chuckle out of imagining you crawling back into your hole! But ... stay out here with us!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (05-10-2024)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    In my mind, I always hear this analogy and I never come away satisfied. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with changing a filter every time. I've always changed the filter every time myself. Except for recently on my son's RX8. We put a Purolator Pure One on it and because that rotary is ... how to say this ... more directly responsive to good maintenance, he and I change that car's earl every 3,000 miles. So this last time I said F-it (not to him, I don't generally cuss in front of my sons, unless a democrat), let's leave it on one more 3,000 mile interval. We both agreed.

I don't look at it like underwear. Because cycled earl flows through a filter and then magically - presto-change-o the earl comes out clean as a whistle. Ok, not really. But the earl filter removes a lot of dirt. It doesn't add dirt. It catches or passes. So if you change to new earl with the same filter, the crud that's in the filter doesn't get released into the new oil ... if it did, that is one crap filter. The crud stays in the filter, and new crud continues to collect.

Here's how I'm looking at it. If I'm mowing grass with my pooooosh mower (and bagging), and I stop to empty the mower's bag into a grass bag, I can fit 3 mower bags of clippings into 1 "grass & leaf" bag. Why would I dump 1 bag of grass into it, leave it 1/3rd full, and go get another grass & leaf bag?

Now, I'm only just speculating. I know very little. But I suspect a 50% used oil filter *might* filter oil BETTER than a brand new one. In my mind I suspect the crud in the filter to actually help catch additional crud. The drawback being that the flow rate through the filter is going to go down as more and more crud collects in it. But could that reduced flow rate lead to a problem? Dunno. Maybe. Especially if your Mirage engine is low on earl already.

Tis an interesting topic, this thinking about using a used earl filter for more than 1 o.c.i.

Grumpy - I got a good chuckle out of imagining you crawling back into your hole! But ... stay out here with us!
    Your thinking on this matter is well thought out. One tiny stumble if I may be so bold?

No vehicle oil pump I am aware of is centrifugal. They are all "positive displacement". They pump what they pump. If something obstructs the flow, then one of two things happens. The pump stalls or it breaks. Long way to say that the flow through the filter remains constant but the pressure drop across it increases as it loads/gets dirty. At some point the pressure exceeds the filters internal bypass spring pressure and the pressure is relieved around the media. THAT is when dirty could be reintroduced into the system but only if that dirt is "free" or on the surface of the filter. Not the dirt "IN" the filter media. This bypass happens allot in normal operation. Cold oil has the filter in bypass early and remains so until the viscosity drops to a point the pressure differential across the filter gets below the bypass setting.

A filter in not just rated for efficiency in trapping certain size particles but also in VOLUME of material it can trap before the media is saturated. Harder number to find but THAT number is the one the manufacture bases his 'ESTIMATE" of filter life on.

Purolator BOSS and Mobil 1 filters sacrifice particle size for filter life or delaying the amount of oil filtered before the pressure reaches the lift point by trapping fewer total solids. It's still a decent number but a sacrifice none the less.

In commercial and industrial service oil filters are changed on the difference in pressure before and after the element. Delta P gauges. Automotive doesn't do this because filters are a revenue stream that is low fruit.

All that said I would not exceed the total number of miles or months.

One other caveat emptor here. Oil degrades and when the filter volume is a large part of the total volume then change the filter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-10-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey Giant22000, if your an ebay shopper, I found them here https://www.ebay.com/itm/22604392884...r&toolid=10049 I've never used this seller tho, so I can't comment on his/her reputation. I don't think there is really anything special about the OEM filter. I just get mine from the local FLAPS in what ever color (colour) I like that day...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,731 Times in 2,134 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bear View Post
    No one asked but....

I expect a filter to...well.... filter.

GM did a wear study decades ago and getting the crap out of your oil is key. ISO 4548-12 muti-pass test is based on 20 micro filtration efficiency. Test was based on a Beta Ratio of 75. Cleaner is better and it's on the box.

Purolator Pure One, FRAM XG, Royal Purple and AMOSIL EO head that list.

Mobil 1 and Purolator BOSS are rated at 30 micron. Sucking hind teat. Difference in wear is more than double.

Okay, I'll crall back in my hole.
    I will be honest. I have always done my own oil changes, & I used the cheaper Fram oil filters for decades without issue. Those, however, were years of conventional oil changed every 3,000 miles.

I started using synthetic oil with the purchase of my 2011 Forester in 2013.

Since going to full synthetic oil & 5,000 mile OCI, I have made more of an effort to purchase a mid-grade oil filter. For me that has been the Purolator ONE oil filter. I've done 17 oil changes so far, & it's the only brand my Mirage has seen since the factory filter. I can usually find them on sale @ my local Farm & Fleet stores. The Fram Ultra-Synthetic would be my 2nd choice. I'm not going to claim one is better than the other, but Ultra-Synthetic is a very well made oil filter.

The problem with oil filters brands like Mobil 1, STP, Super Tech, or whatever is that they are not oil filter companies. Someone else is making oil filters for them. My local Auto Zone carries two types of STP oil filters (S7317 & S7317XL) & the Mobil 1 for my Mirage. The STP filters are currently made by Fram. They use the same 7317 numbering as Fram oil filters, too.

Likewise Mobil 1 is made by someone else, & that can change from year to year, too. I believe Champion Labs was making them years ago, but Purolator is making them today. How do we know this? Look at Mobil 1 oil filter warranty -

Mobil 1™ Extended Performance Oil Filter limited warranty
    MANN+HUMMEL Purolator Filters LLC (“MANN+HUMMEL”) provides this limited warranty to the original purchaser who use Mobil 1™ Extended Performance oil filter products manufactured or sold by MANN+HUMMEL (“Covered Products”). Covered Products are warrantied to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval.

Purolator is now owned by MANN + HUMMEL, which I believe has an excellent reputation worldwide. I believe Wix oil filters are now made in MANN + HUMMEL plants, too!

I am a bit guilty of not looking @ Micron levels that closely. It's good to know Purolator ONE & Fram Ultra-Synthetic are two of the better ones, because my vehicles aren't going to see anything else.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-10-2024 at 03:27 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (05-11-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Hey Giant22000, if your an ebay shopper, I found them here https://www.ebay.com/itm/22604392884...r&toolid=10049 I've never used this seller tho, so I can't comment on his/her reputation. I don't think there is really anything special about the OEM filter. I just get mine from the local FLAPS in what ever color (colour) I like that day...
    Above example: A cheap $5.91 OEM oil filter that requires $18.69 shipping ($24.60).

I can go to my local Farm & Fleet & pick up three Purolator ONE PL14610 ($7.99 each) for less than that. Plus, I will often find them on sale for a little less ($6.99) most of the time. A good product at a good price is a win/win in my book.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-10-2024 at 03:28 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd like to procure 3 Purolator PUREONE's PL14610 from Mark Enterprises. It's a great deal from Mark Enterprises, $7.99 each and he doesn't even charge for shipping! Helluva vendor he is!

Now that I got that out of my system, I'm going to check where all I can get those. I usually get them from Advance Auto. Every time I go to Autozone, I leave there miffed (and don't buy). Then I go to Advance Auto and get what I want.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I'd like to procure 3 Purolator PUREONE's PL14610 from Mark Enterprises. It's a great deal from Mark Enterprises, $7.99 each and he doesn't even charge for shipping! Helluva vendor he is!

Now that I got that out of my system, I'm going to check where all I can get those. I usually get them from Advance Auto. Every time I go to Autozone, I leave there miffed (and don't buy). Then I go to Advance Auto and get what I want.
    Where to buy search -

https://www.purolatornow.com/en/where-to-buy.html

Pep Boys & Lowe's in your area may have them?

Advance Auto may have them, too.

You live closer to their factory than me.

"Nearly a century after inventing the oil filter, Purolator continues manufacturing to the high standard maintained by American workers in Fayetteville, North Carolina."

Menard's is popular around here. They have the Purolator ONE PL14610 for $6.67 each (after their 11% rebate off everything sale which goes on pretty much all the time). My nearest Menard's have 12 in stock.

I can typically find them for $6.50-$8.00 pretty much all the time, which isn't a bad price to a decent mid-grade oil filter. Some Walmart's may carry them, but not around me.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-10-2024 at 05:32 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I saw that locator. The Pep boys in my neck of the woods are all service centers. They don't look to sell filters. But I'm not sure I've stepped into one. I may do that this evening.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did step into a Pep Boys. No retail, service only.