Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bird chirping noise during acceleration

Quote Originally Posted by Kosta0933 View Post
    So don’t tighten the bolt that’s normally used? The one facing the front of the car that brings the alternator up?

And thanks Fummins for this info I really appreciate it.

Edit to add* I may have read it wrong, you meant the tension bolt facing towards me yes? The other 12mm bolt that brings up the alternator?
    Yes you gotta tighten the tension bolt bit should loosen the two nuts holding it place first. I wasn’t very clear and mentioned doing it with the car running. I meant “with the engine off”loosen the two nuts off(12 mm top and 14MM for the lower pivot/mounting bolt you can’t see) slightly, then (with engine running and accessories on[ac, headlights, rear defrost etc)tighten the adjuster/tensioner bolt as needed. I can try to make a vijeo if that help, there might be one out there already?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Kosta0933 (06-13-2024)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 709 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Kosta0933 (06-13-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yes you gotta tighten the tension bolt bit should loosen the two nuts holding it place first. I wasn’t very clear and mentioned doing it with the car running. I meant “with the engine off”loosen the two nuts off(12 mm top and 14MM for the lower pivot/mounting bolt you can’t see) slightly, then (with engine running and accessories on[ac, headlights, rear defrost etc)tighten the adjuster/tensioner bolt as needed. I can try to make a vijeo if that help, there might be one out there already?

Hello again, worked on the mirage today. Loosened the 12mm and 14mm bolt and turned the car on, had a/c, headlights, and rear defrost on. Checked belt there was slight what appeared to be, flappy movement. Tightened the 12mm tension bolt a little bit, there was still belt squeal. Tightened a bit more and no squeal. I will follow up tomorrow morning after a cold start and see if I hear anymore squeal.

I’d also like to point out that since my OP, belt squeal was getting slightly worse. The belt itself still looks good and I have 23k miles. Also I used the post mentioned above for belt adjustment and using the sound of a properly tensioned belt and matching it with my belt. Real test will be after an early morning start and having the a/c on while accelerating.

Thanks for the help and insight guys! Will update with my findings tomorrow

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kosta0933 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-15-2024),inuvik (06-15-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update: as of today 06/15/2024. Started the mirage this morning and turned on a/c and drove for a little bit around the neighborhood. No belt squeal!! I even turned on the headlights and rear defrost just to test to see if it’ll make any noise. It didn’t.

Really appreciate it guys. Thank you!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kosta0933 For This Useful Post:

7milesout (06-17-2024),BigMW (06-16-2024),foama (06-18-2024),Fummins (06-15-2024),inuvik (06-15-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,107 Posts
    "I love it when a plan comes together."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)