Thread: solved my only cvt annoyance

cvt connoisseur, of sorts OrganicFoxes's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool solved my only cvt annoyance

I have a little over 100k miles on my 2017 atm and have NOW just found out this amazing trick with the cvt model. My biggest complaint with this rubber band gearbox was that if you press the gas down kinda fast from a stop, it will stay in a lower gear then it needs to be, and it is super super SUPER annoying. I would have to let off the throttle some and then press it down again so it will shift down, BUTTTTTTTTTT I have just found a solution.

If you quickly put the car into sport mode and back into drive, it will magically shift down without me having to mess with the throttle at all. This has completely changed my driving, I used to have to slowly push the throttle down so it doesn't rev higher for no reason. I can now pull out onto faster roads and get on the freeway from a stop SO MUCH EASIER without having to slowly get into the throttle.

I only found this out because I have been doing this on the freeway for a few weeks now, you can do 3k rpm at half throttle if you slowly push the throttle down but if you press it fast it can go up to 3500rpm, sometimes higher, which is annoying. I just press it down fast and then do the sport mode trick and it shifts down to 3k rpm at half throttle.

I do not like to rev my car out over 3k rpm, but I also hate having to slowly press the gas down to get the most I can under 3k. I have been doing this for a few days and it has saved me so much frustration. It feels like I am manually shifting it down like it is a typical geared automatic, which is a little fun too. Hopefully this helps someone that also has a similar way of driving the cvt Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I too am utilizing the Sport mode when needed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganicFoxes View Post
    I do not like to rev my car out over 3k rpm, but I also hate having to slowly press the gas down to get the most I can under 3k. I have been doing this for a few days and it has saved me so much frustration. It feels like I am manually shifting it down like it is a typical geared automatic, which is a little fun too. Hopefully this helps someone that also has a similar way of driving the cvt Mirage.
    Don't be afraid of rpm's on this motor. MIVEC doesn't activate until 3500rpm and torque peak on the 3A92 is 4000rpm. This 3 pot loves 4000-5000 rpm's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @inuvik true! I went on 280 miles round trip commute yesterday via 75 mph on my
    G4 CVT. RPM read 2,500 RPM on flat hwy. when the highway went up road the CVT jumped to about 4000 RPM while on Ds mode. It was working very hard to stay steady.

TotaL MPG was 41 with the A/C running at 71F low fan speed. Not bad!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.2 mpg (US) ... 18.4 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Feels like I am breaking it lol. My trans temps are also WAY better now that I don't go over 3k rpm, which I have been doing for over a year now. Also at 3k I get better instant fuel economy, even if it is the same amount of throttle. I just prefer to get the most I can without revving the car out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,107 Posts
    OrganicFoxes - Maybe you can put on a DEMO of this practice when you most certainly will join the Mirage à trois in August!

OK! We have our first activity!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It doesn't bother me to make the quick throttle adjustment if I hit the "sticking point" where the 2 speed auxiliary gearbox won't shift. I don't have a sport mode so I can't use that method. Here's a thing that I like about the CVT. If the highway is busy and I only have a short time to merge, I put the pedal to the floor. Almost immediately, I have 5000 rpm and it stays there while the CVT handles the gearing until I reach merging speed. Since my 10 year powertrain warranty is up in 17 days, maybe I shouldn't do this anymore. lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    It doesn't bother me to make the quick throttle adjustment if I hit the "sticking point" where the 2 speed auxiliary gearbox won't shift. I don't have a sport mode so I can't use that method. Here's a thing that I like about the CVT. If the highway is busy and I only have a short time to merge, I put the pedal to the floor. Almost immediately, I have 5000 rpm and it stays there while the CVT handles the gearing until I reach merging speed. Since my 10 year powertrain warranty is up in 17 days, maybe I shouldn't do this anymore. lol
    Yeah I used to show no mercy with this little econobox. I saw this car more as a temporary vehicle at first so I did not care, turned out to be a surprisingly amazing car and I am just going to keep it for however long it lasts. Not just a good car but a car I actually have come to really enjoy driving.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    OrganicFoxes - Maybe you can put on a DEMO of this practice when you most certainly will join the Mirage à trois in August!

OK! We have our first activity!
    Interesting name for a car meetup. But yeah you were making some kind of meet up in the Hellanta area? Where can I find info on this or are you just going to make a post announcing it?