Thread: My Mirage got hit

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

My Mirage got hit

I mentioned this in April when it happened. I finally got a date for repairs sorted out. I have no extra coverage on my car, no rental car if mine needs approved repairs, no glass coverage, etc. Just the most basic policy there is.
    Ontario is no fault, meaning if there is an accident my insurer pays to fix my car, their insurer pays to fix theirs.
    Neither driver is assessed as being the negligent party, or so I'm told. But what about guys like me with no coverage to repair my car?

Two possibilities, 1. I pay out of pocket to fix my car. It's all on me, the repairs, the rental replacement, etc. That's what happens to guys like me if there is nobody else involved, OR
    2, There is another party involved, and they get assessed as being 100% responsible for the damage. THEN their insurance has to pick up the cost of their repairs AND mine. Only fair, I wasn't negligent so why should I be left with a damaged car.

When 2. happens my adjuster told me HIS insurance will be upset and they have the right to nullify his good driver record and hike his rates for 7 years. I told buddy this and gave him a chance to pay out of pocket for my repair but he was adamant because Ontario is "no fault" that his record and rates would stay as is. Well, I guess his agent told him to expect big hits at renewal time because he is going to have an accident on his record where his company had to pay for both his car and mine. I got an email from him begging me to let him pay the body shop for the repairs and keep the whole incident away from the insurance companies.

How do you think I should answer him? Or should I even answer him at all?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (06-09-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,765 Times in 2,160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post

How do you think I should answer him? Or should I even answer him at all?
    If you aren't at fault & the repairs aren't coming out of your pocket, I wouldn't care how it gets done. If he's willing to pay the body shop up front before the repairs are made, I would accept that. I wouldn't let him weasel out of the repairs.

I honestly don't understand the logic behind Ontario's car insurance laws?

The bare minimum insurance I could carry is liability, which is what I assume you have. If you hit someone else with liability insurance, your insurance company will cover the damage done to the other car. They will not cover the damage done to your car.

My best friend (that's a story in itself) rear ended me. His older Chevy Tahoe totaled both our vehicles. My 2000 Honda CR-V was 13 years old at the time, and we both had liability insurance only. I received a check for $5,900 for my CR-V from his insurance company. He received a ticket for the accident, and nothing for his Tahoe (except whatever the salvage yard gave him for it).

I received a fair value for my 2000 Honda CR-V, but it still forced me to buy something else. I used the $5,900 to help purchase my 2011 Forester at the time. The Forester was 2 years old with 15,000 miles at the time, and I paid $17,000 for it. I felt crunch for time to buy a replacement vehicle, and the low mileage Forester was one of the better 5-speed manual/AWD options still available back then.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,108 Posts
    When I lived in Michigan, it was pretty much the same ... no fault. It sucked. If I were involved in an accident, even if it were NOT my fault, and my insurance had to pay out, it was justification to raise my rates. I never did get into an accident though.

Wally - I think I would be leaning toward letting the insurance pay. Because if you go the other route, this guy is bound to screw you some how. That's the way it works in the area where I live. Unless he is willing to pay the repair shop up front before you cancel the insurance company's pay-out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    you did well with the Suburu. I would have paid that in minute.

Yes, our insurance laws are dictated entirely by the insurance industry. I think the industry takes it out on Ontario drivers because places like BC offer full coverage for everyone for about $450/year. Regardless of vehicle type and driving record. I think.

I found out the process is in motion so I cannot call it off. Buddy has to live with his arrogance and accept his higher rates.

One day tell us about your friend wrecking your Honda.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)