Thread: USB hub to keep phone and memory stick plugged simultaneously?

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

USB hub to keep phone and memory stick plugged simultaneously?

Hello fellow Mirage owners-operators ;-)
    Has anyone tried using USB hub with Mirage's sole USB port? What I want to achieve is to expand number of devices connected to radio, since with this single USB port setup I have to keep swapping phone and usbstick with music so often that I'm afraid it will be broken soon (USB port is already much less tight than it was week ago when I bought this car).

In short: I want to keep both, my Phone (connected to radio's Android Auto through USB cable, not through Bluetooth) AND my USB Flash Stick with music simultaneously connected to the radio. Has anyone tried that with a USB hub? TIA

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,098 Posts
    I don't think I've ever plugged in to the USB at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I found and tested 2 different USB hubs, one was USB 2.0 and other USB 3.1, but both show same "USB hub is not supported" error on screen. It may be same case as with Android-based phones, they won't recognize ordinary hubs but should accept USB OTG hubs (which neither of mine is). I'm about to order one.

image sharing

image sharing
    According to Mirage's SDA Manual it's USB port is of USB2.0 standard

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I don't think I've ever plugged in to the USB at all.
    Neither did I... Im old school and still prefer CDs, but since Mirage (nor probably any other new car models nowadays) doesn't come with CD slot anymore, I had to cave in.
    But there is an up side to Mirage's disc-less radio: unlike my previous car radios that could play only MP3 or WMA files, this one can read and play some lossless type of files, i.e. FLAC files. That's good, because instead of having 6 CDs loaded into radio, we can have 60-70 CDs in lossless format on a single cheapest 32GB USB memory stick...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I tried many hubs, none worked.
    I finally settled on a simple plug in to the lighter socket thing to power USB devices and plug my phone into the USB port in the glovebox and my music player into the AUX jack (long retired, a 20gb Creative Labs Jukebox. that thing was great. )

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)