Thread: Good morning from Canadia ;)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Good morning from Canadia ;)

Hello everyone! Yet another new owner of Mirage here
    Been reading this forum for past month while waiting for my Mirage to arrive (believe it or not, but there is, or at least there was, a shortage of Mirages in my area). You guys have amassed great wealth of information about our cars, I really appreciate it and thank you all.
    My Mirage is 2024 ES, got it in red instead of what I wanted, but my dealer didn't charge me extra for "more expensive" color option. Also it came with auto wipers, which I thought comes in more luxurious trims.

So far I did 1000km, and I love it. I will give it another 500km of mostly limping at 60-80km/h before I consider break-in period partially over and replace oil and filter. Then I'm going to take her for ~1000km long highway trip...
    I know that the service manual calls for first oil change at 8000km, but it doesn't sit right with me. Even though oil still looks clean and new alike, I am sure there has to be some metal shavings and other crap floating in the first break-in period oil, and since I'm planning to keep this car for years and miles to come, it's a no brainer. Anyways, changing oil too soon never hurt any motor

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mitsumir For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-10-2024),inuvik (06-10-2024),MetroMPG (06-11-2024),Top_Fuel (06-10-2024)

Welcome!
    I haven't looked at the latest service schedules but the 2015's used to call for 12,000km oil changes for normal service(that basically applies to nobody) and the "severe" service specifies oil changes at 6000kms.

I'm been to a dealer where they have a big sign in the service department with their own made up service schedule that wasn't close to what the service manual states.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Really 12000km, wow! I wouldn't trust any superduper bestest in the world oil to last that long... but that's me.
    My 2024 service manual calls for every 8000km oil/rotation. I haven't decided yet if I will follow this recommendation or do it more often (5000-6000km).

And about 12000km intervals you've mentioned: my car's service reminder is actually programmed for next service in 6mths / 12000km (because currently it shows 5 and 11000, and I did 1000km so far)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,512 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumir View Post
    I know that the service manual calls for first oil change at 8000km, but it doesn't sit right with me. Even though oil still looks clean and new alike, I am sure there has to be some metal shavings and other crap floating in the first break-in period oil, and since I'm planning to keep this car for years and miles to come, it's a no brainer. Anyways, changing oil too soon never hurt any motor
    A-10:4, Roger! I 100% agree with all things quoted.

I'm the black sheep "up in here" that if the book says it requires 7,500 mile oil changes, I'm going to do 7,500 mile oil changes. synthetic. I did several WAY WAY early oil changes before even getting to the first recommended oil change at 7,500 miles. But since 7,500 miles, I stick to 7,500 mile oil changes.

I'm at about 6,600 miles on this cycle. Last week when I refueled, I decided I'd better check the oil level to see if it's low, or dark. To my joy, it was still plum to the upper line, and looked dang near brand new. 43k miles on the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,756 Times in 2,154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsumir View Post
    Really 12000km, wow! I wouldn't trust any superduper bestest in the world oil to last that long... but that's me.
    My 2024 service manual calls for every 8000km oil/rotation. I haven't decided yet if I will follow this recommendation or do it more often (5000-6000km).

And about 12000km intervals you've mentioned: my car's service reminder is actually programmed for next service in 6mths / 12000km (because currently it shows 5 and 11000, and I did 1000km so far)
    The American owner's manual states 3,750 miles (approximately 6,000 km) or 7,500 miles (12,000 km) oil change intervals.

Most mechanics I have discussed this with suggest 5,000 mlles (8,000 km) OCI when using full synthetic oil. I'm doing 5,000 OCI, & it's easy to keep track of. When my Mirage reaches 90,000 mlles, I will know it's time for me to do my 18th oil change.

If I owned a brand new Mirage, I would do the first one @ 2,000 miles, 2nd one at 5,000 miles (3,000 mile OCI), & every 5,000 miles after that. If I live in the metric world, I might do 7,500 km oil change intervals.

Different driving habits may warrant different OCI, too!

I pretty much stick with 3,000 mile using conventional oil, and 5,000 miles using full synthetic.

Welcome, Mitsumir!

What were you driving before you went and bought the worst car for sale in North America?

What part of the country do you live in?

Enjoy your road trip!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)