Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Price war in Canada: base Mirage now $9998 (plus delivery, dealer fees, etc.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, a US$9,100 car. Makes me think it might be worthwhile to look more into the regulations for importing a car from Canada.

I know there's a 2.5% duty (all US$227 of it ) and the car needs to meet EPA regulations.

Supposedly "vehicles that meet all U.S. emission requirements will bear manufacturer's label on the engine compartment in English, attesting to that fact." Can anyone tell me if the Canadian Mirage has that tag?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

How does this work?

So as I understand it, Mitsubishi Motors, the manufacturer of the Mirage, is offering the $2500 discount. That makes it a pretty affordable small car for sure, and is a lot better than last month's offer.

My question, then, is about dealer pricing - will the dealer have any further room to negotiate? Should I expect to get a further discount off the MSRP from my local dealer? I don't want to be unreasonable, but of course want to get the best price I can.

One other question - the colour they have in stock is not my first choice, but could be OK. I expect that I could order my first choice for the list price - would the dealer be more inclined to give me a price break if I am willing to take one of the in-stock vehicles? Put another way - should I just order the colour I want if there is no price difference, or is there an advantage for me to getting an in-stock unit? The in-stock colour is also grey - making it a $160 option (why does grey cost more?!?!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That's insane! I'm looking to buy one in the USA and am pretty jealous.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    So as I understand it, Mitsubishi Motors, the manufacturer of the Mirage, is offering the $2500 discount. That makes it a pretty affordable small car for sure, and is a lot better than last month's offer.

My question, then, is about dealer pricing - will the dealer have any further room to negotiate? Should I expect to get a further discount off the MSRP from my local dealer? I don't want to be unreasonable, but of course want to get the best price I can.

One other question - the colour they have in stock is not my first choice, but could be OK. I expect that I could order my first choice for the list price - would the dealer be more inclined to give me a price break if I am willing to take one of the in-stock vehicles? Put another way - should I just order the colour I want if there is no price difference, or is there an advantage for me to getting an in-stock unit? The in-stock colour is also grey - making it a $160 option (why does grey cost more?!?!)
    I just returned from the dealer and the answer to my question is that the dealers claim they are making no money on the car, and charge an additional $500 for PDI (above the $200 PDI included in the web-site form), and $600 for dealer fees. One of the dealers had an assortment of other mysterious fees as well. Neither would sell me the car for $13k, one offered $13,900, and the other started at $14,900 and then let me leave when I suggested $13k was more what I had in mind. Clearly I am a bad customer. That said, had they offered me the car for the price the web-site said was the MSRP, and not $900 over the MSRP, we maybe both could have felt better about it. Alternatively, the web-site could have noted that there would be a few extra fees even after checking the (Show price with taxes and fees). I think Toyota includes it all, but until today I thought Mitsu did as well. What do I know? Well, for one thing, my old Ford seems like a bargain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How could it be 900 over msrp when there is a 2500 rebate?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    How could it be 900 over msrp when there is a 2500 rebate?
    Sorry - I was including the rebate in the MSRP, based on the web tool.

My math:
    12498-2500 rebate +1450 freight/pdi +24 tire tax X 1.13 sales tax = about $13k

Dealer's math:
    12498 - 2500 rebate +1450 freight/pdi1 +500 pdi2 +600 dealer fees + 24 tire tax X1.13 = $14,243 less best negotiated discount = $13900.

The other dealer had a few extra unexplained fees as well so they tried to justify $14800 or $14900 for a while (I think the difference being when I pointed out that the A/C tax wasn't required).

I just talked to the Honda dealer my family uses to ask if these fees are industry practice, and he said that while yes, there are fees, that they are included on the Honda build/price calculator if you click to see them. Hondas are several thousand more, but I am once again considering all options.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    im guessing the 600 was the doc fee. Not sure what the 500 was. I sell cars and the only fee we charge is a 100 doc. Michigan state law has a max of 200. You should have him explain to you what the 500 was. Im not sure on north of the boarder laws lol

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    im guessing the 600 was the doc fee. Not sure what the 500 was. I sell cars and the only fee we charge is a 100 doc. Michigan state law has a max of 200. You should have him explain to you what the 500 was. Im not sure on north of the boarder laws lol
    It was all a bit confusing as both dealers had the same 2 fees, and one had several extra fees, including a document fee. My understanding was that the pdi included was pre-delivery to the dealer, done by the manufacturer, and the $500 extra pdi was done at the dealer, and included filling the oil, brake fluid, checking alignment and a variety of other things that seemed like the inspection done with an oil change (general checks). The $600 was the "dealer fees" also called "accessories" though the only accessories were locking lug nuts, a block heater, and nitrogen in the tires. Maybe that also included document fees? I really don't know what document fees are, as I assume the vehicle has landed in the country legally, and I have to pay to insure/register it myself anyway.

My beef is not with the fees themselves, only the lack of transparency. There is no reason such fees, or an estimate of them, could not be on the web-site calculator so that I would have known what to expect. Being told it is $900 more than expected is not as nice as expecting it to be $14000 and being given $100 off!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If it were mitsu Canada's site, i will look it up and see what the fine print says. I know most web calculators never include dest, doc, and ect. But pre delivery should be included in the msrp (at least with gm in america it is)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    quote from mitsu can website! I took this off the site, sorry if not allowed

"COPYRIGHT© 2013 MITSUBISHI MOTOR SALES OF CANADA, INC.

All prices are in Canadian dollars and are manufacturer suggested retail prices. All prices and payments are estimated and are non-binding to Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, Inc. or any authorized Mitsubishi Dealer. All prices and payments are plus applicable taxes and do not include title, registration, administration fees or applicable vehicle taxes such as tire duties unless otherwise noted. Prices do NOT include insurance and license fees, or any additional products or services that may be made available to you through your selected Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, Inc. Dealership. Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, Inc. Dealers are free to set their own selling prices for Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, Inc. products and services. Dealer/admin fees up to $599 are not included.

For calculation purposes, installation fees are NOT included on any accessories and are in addition to the listed accessory price. Residualizable accessories are limited on a leased vehicle and not all accessories can be residualized. Please confirm accessory pricing, installation costs and availability with a Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, Inc. Dealership.

Trade-In Value must be determined by the delivering dealership. Additional down payment may be required if trade-in value is lower than amount owing on trade-in. The interest rate shown can fluctuate. Please see your Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, Inc. Dealership for details and the latest available rates. The Effective APR is based on the value of the cash purchase incentive (if applicable) foregone by customers who choose to enter into a finance or lease agreement at a particular rate of interest.

End Value is for Personal Use Only. ACTUAL PRICE AND PAYMENTS MAY VARY.

All information contained on this site is for information purposes only and does not in any way constitute advice or an offer to buy or sell any vehicle by Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, Inc. or any affiliate. You should not use or rely on any of the information on this site, including without limitation any calculations of prices, taxes, finance rates and valuations, as a substitute for the information that is available to you from a Dealer. In the event that any information on this site is inconsistent with, or conflicts with, information supplied to you by a Dealer, the Dealer's information takes precedence and supersedes the information on this site. This site, Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, Inc. and the Dealers are not responsible for any detrimental reliance you may place on this site."