View Poll Results: What Oil Grade Do You Use In Your Mirage?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0w16

1 3.85%
  • 0w20

14 53.85%
  • 5w20

3 11.54%
  • 5w30

9 34.62%
  • 10w30

0 0%
  • 10w40

1 3.85%
  • 15w40

0 0%
  • 20w50

1 3.85%
  • Single Grade Oil: 20w, 30w, etc..

0 0%
  • Oil: No idea, I just put in whatever is laying around.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Oil Viscosities

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not a huge fan of overly thick oils. 0w-20 works in all temperatures, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've noticed over the last 20yrs that motor oil recommendations are for thinner and thinner oils. 20yrs ago, 10w-30 or 10w-40 were the standard recommended viscosities. Now it seems every new vehicle requires anything from 0w-20 to 5w-30. Why this change?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    I've noticed over the last 20yrs that motor oil recommendations are for thinner and thinner oils. 20yrs ago, 10w-30 or 10w-40 were the standard recommended viscosities. Now it seems every new vehicle requires anything from 0w-20 to 5w-30. Why this change?
    For many reasons, engines are produced with significantly tighter tolerances than the engines of 20+ years ago. Variable Valve timing and other engine technology advances have introduced more complex oiling systems that require thinner oils that flow better. Also, oil quality itself has improved, the thin oil today can protect the engine as well as thick oil did years ago.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    For many reasons, engines are produced with significantly tighter tolerances than the engines of 20+ years ago. Variable Valve timing and other engine technology advances have introduced more complex oiling systems that require thinner oils that flow better. Also, oil quality itself has improved, the thin oil today can protect the engine as well as thick oil did years ago.
    ... and on the other hand, thicker oils are recommended for engines experiencing higher operational heat or load, and I would suggest that the Mirage's hardworking 3-cylinder falls into that category.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    ... and on the other hand, thicker oils are recommended for engines experiencing higher operational heat or load, and I would suggest that the Mirage's hardworking 3-cylinder falls into that category.
    The mirage's engine is not hardworking and not experiencing high operational heat. Infact it's probably the easiest on oil of any car engine produced right now. Turbocharged engines are very hard on oil, but I would still recommend a thin oil, it will flow better through the turbo.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The mirage's engine is not hardworking and not experiencing high operational heat. Infact it's probably the easiest on oil of any car engine produced right now. Turbocharged engines are very hard on oil, but I would still recommend a thin oil, it will flow better through the turbo.
    Agreed. I believe Cookiemonster's description of the Mirage's engine as 'hardworking' may stem from mainstream American perception of 3 cylinder engines. Less cylinders --> Less power - therefore must work harder to move the car. Remember that the Mirage is a very light car and it rewards 'toned down' driving styles with higher mpg's. Thanks to dash display always on mpg mode, 90-95% of the time, my tachometer is always floating around 1.5-2k rpm.

Definitely do not see how the Mirage can be producing higher than normal operational heat.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Agreed. I believe Cookiemonster's description of the Mirage's engine as 'hardworking' may stem from mainstream American perception of 3 cylinder engines. Less cylinders --> Less power - therefore must work harder to move the car. Remember that the Mirage is a very light car and it rewards 'toned down' driving styles with higher mpg's. Thanks to dash display always on mpg mode, 90-95% of the time, my tachometer is always floating around 1.5-2k rpm.

Definitely do not see how the Mirage can be producing higher than normal operational heat.

-Charlie-
    If you keep up with traffic accelerating from red lights, and merging onto expressways (especially on inclines), you'll find the Mirage's engine to work very hard. I know this car is slow accelerating, so I don't bother trying to keep up with traffic. I'd have to nearly redline it all the time and I'm not going to do that to my Mirage. I just focus on my 3k RPM rule. Essentially, I try to avoid revving the engine greater than 3k RPM in normal driving. This helps reduce fuel consumption and in the long-run will prolong engine life. I'll only push it harder to maintain speed on the interstate (usually requires up to 3500 to maintain speed on inclines) or when safety is an issue, like merging or pulling out into heavy traffic when you HAVE to push the Mirage hard or risk getting run over.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    High revving isn't going to damage anything or shorten the life of the engine. Redline on our engines is only 6,500RPM, that's low by todays standards. Motorcycle engines rev to 16,000+RPM and last over 100K miles now.

Engine's are designed to rev, just drive it and don't worry about being gentle. I can guarantee you it won't last any longer driving it gently.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    High revving isn't going to damage anything or shorten the life of the engine. Redline on our engines is only 6,500RPM, that's low by todays standards. Motorcycle engines rev to 16,000+RPM and last over 100K miles now.

Engine's are designed to rev, just drive it and don't worry about being gentle. I can guarantee you it won't last any longer driving it gently.
    Second this.
    Today's engines (and the Mirage's 1.2 in this case) have no issues whatsoever about turning high RPM. It might 'hurt' your mpg goals, but it WILL NOT hurt your engine and (IMO) it sure makes it more entertaining and engaging. I don't know that there's a week that goes by I don't bouce off the limiter at least once. Am I worried about it? Not in the least. Not only do I believe the engine will easily do it and not be any worse for wear, so does the manufacturer(!!) they're standing behind it for 100k miles! Take a walk on the "wild" side my fellow Mirage peeps - you might enjoy it :-)
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    That`s rigth Minihaha ! just beat that little thai ***** once in a while and she will stay hot
    cheers from Copenhagen