Thread: Gas mileage / MPG achievements (with optional MPG computer pics)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Versa View Post
    You need to do your odometer correction in order to get accurate MPG numbers. According to a tire size calculator the tire size you're running is 5.8% larger diameter than OE. Without doing the tire size correction it's possible the mpg would figure lower than with the original size tires.
    I'm going to have to 2nd the motion on this one. 2016 Versa has this stuff "figgerd out." I'm likely more OCD than he, and so far he and I are in lock-step as it relates to the numbers games.

About the bicycle thing. The stink of it is, where I live is very bicycle friendly. There are bike paths and I can get to where I work on maybe 90% bike paths. But, just like Shrek, I am built the same, but smell twice as bad. If I were to ride a bike to work, I would downright stank so bad, I wouldn't be allowed in a meeting room. Plus, it would turn my 5 minute commute into a 30 minute workout. Lardass dinosaurs don't like 30 minute workouts.

Another note. I just happen to have an old crusty mountain bike. I think mountain bike folk must think they are very good bikes. Maybe they're good for storming downhill on single track trails, dunno. I've had this bike for a while, but it is in good shape. Since 2015 my youngest son has been racing BMX. Any time I ride anywhere, any terrain, any elevation, uphill, downhill, it doesn't matter ... his BMX bike is so much more efficient and effective. I was shocked. We rode across town, and I figured since I had umpteen gears, his single speed bike would get whomped. But I was WAY WRONG. The simplicity of his BMX bike rules. His bike gives away very little energy. And is geared to provide top speed at as fast as his legs can go (lots of math in bmx gearing that many are not aware). I would say that his top speed on asphalt with his bmx bike (straight level pedaling) is probably 35 mph ... enough to get a person kilt if they come off and hit something solid. But can still out accelerate my bike up any steep hill from a stop. Whatever energy he exerts into effectively translates into motion. Not true on a mountain bike with a suspension. I raced a BMX bike for a year too, got in decent shape, then had to help my mom and dad when my mother got sick (and died). Now I'm back at full-moose lardass. I'm thinking about buying my own custom bmx bike and getting back in better shape.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

PityOnU (01-18-2021)