Thread: HOW TO: Changing 5MT Gear Oil (Manual Transmission)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm at 106k miles and I'm planning on changing the manual tranny oil. I took ownership of my Mirage at 75k and never changed it, i think I'm due.

I decided to try out this $14.97 Triax Gear Max MT 75W-80 GL-4, Full Synthetic Manual Transmission and Gear Box oil.

What intrigued me about this oil is it's claimed 500k mile service interval. I'd be happy with 250k with the number of miles I'm putting on my delivery Mirage.

Triax Performance Highlights:

• Exceptional frictional stability, even in off-road severe service.
    • Long drain service up to 3 times that of most other gear oils, up to 500,000 for passenger cars, SUVs and trucks.

I consider my deliveries to be a "severe service" on my Mirage. I want something that'll hold up.

Two quarts shipped to my house came out to $33.16. I like that the oil is Made in the USA and the company is based out of Dallas, Texas. I'm still missing a funnel but otherwise i wanted to try out something different besides the tried and true Red Line MTL. I'm sure either oil is fine regardless.

I'll be sure to report back.

Edit 10/28/2021: changing the MT oil is such a messy job, what a PITA. When you remove the drain nut the oil comes out very fast and with pressure. My advice, use a large oil pan and be ready to move it quickly.

Edit 11/05/2021: i haven't had any hard shifts like i used to. At times i would grind between shifts. Not sure if it's a placebo effect or I'm just shifting better but it's been noticably less difficult.
    Last edited by davidricardo86; 11-06-2021 at 03:10 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidricardo86 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-13-2021),lightningslow (11-10-2021)