Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Why Cant i tow with a mirage

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by f0k4l View Post
    Attachment 4149

Just picked up this Carry-on 4x6T trailer from a local tractor supply Co yesterday.

I owned that same trailer for years. It was very convenient and easy to repack the bearings. I did have to redo the wiring though as it was hanging under the trailer and snagged on road debris.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I'm gonna have to find a solution to keep the wire from getting slack and hanging. It's underneath ran through the tongue. I'm gonna get some plywood and motorcycle wheel chocks so I can avoid having the Army move our bikes in december.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Littlestan, where are you?? I hope all is well and have been wondering if you continued pursuing towing, and how that turned out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-17-2015),Littlestan (02-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/member.php/1316-Littlestan Considering the amount of time and energy you spent attempting to lay out an rational argument why you should be able to tow a small covered utility trailer what was the result of your investigation?
    Last edited by inuvik; 10-26-2015 at 05:25 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The rear shocks are pretty soft.
    I won't put any trailer on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to travels For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-05-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by f0k4l View Post
    Yeah I'm gonna have to find a solution to keep the wire from getting slack and hanging. It's underneath ran through the tongue. I'm gonna get some plywood and motorcycle wheel chocks so I can avoid having the Army move our bikes in december.
    they make a bedliner insert for small trailer. i would just add a thick piece of plywood. when it wears out cut it up and buy a new one.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Lightbulb

I have towed many a trailer with small cars, mainly in Greece. I had a Skoda Target 105 with a 3rd gen 1.3 L Golf engine. I used that to tow a trailer with scrap metal. The most I towed was about 1500 kg of scrap metal for a combined trailer/payload of just under 2000 kg. Was it the smartest thing to do? No, it wasn't. Did the car handle it? Yes it did, with careful driving. That's my 2 cents on that.

As for lightweight trailers, I've had a class 1 hitch installed on my '14 Mirage and intend on buying a Lees-ure Lite camping trailer. The trailer has a dry weight of 265 lbs and gross weight rated at 600 lbs with a tongue weight of 17 lbs. This trailer was purpose designed and built to be towed by motorcycles. If a motorcycle can handle 300ish lbs, I don't see why or how our Mirages can't. It has a cargo rack on top of it and 30 cubic feet of internal storage so I also plan on using it for the odd time I'll need to haul something too unwieldy for the inside of the Scootabout. Here's a link to the Lees-ure Lite site for anyone interested:

http://www.leesurelite.com/default.asp

Regards,
    Peter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kineo For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My mirage does better towing a trailer with 600lbs cargo vs a full load of people.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kineo View Post
    I have towed many a trailer with small cars, mainly in Greece. I had a Skoda Target 105 with a 3rd gen 1.3 L Golf engine. I used that to tow a trailer with scrap metal. The most I towed was about 1500 kg of scrap metal for a combined trailer/payload of just under 2000 kg. Was it the smartest thing to do? No, it wasn't. Did the car handle it? Yes it did, with careful driving. That's my 2 cents on that.

As for lightweight trailers, I've had a class 1 hitch installed on my '14 Mirage and intend on buying a Lees-ure Lite camping trailer. The trailer has a dry weight of 265 lbs and gross weight rated at 600 lbs with a tongue weight of 17 lbs. This trailer was purpose designed and built to be towed by motorcycles. If a motorcycle can handle 300ish lbs, I don't see why or how our Mirages can't. It has a cargo rack on top of it and 30 cubic feet of internal storage so I also plan on using it for the odd time I'll need to haul something too unwieldy for the inside of the Scootabout. Here's a link to the Lees-ure Lite site for anyone interested:

http://www.leesurelite.com/default.asp

Regards,
    Peter
    I think that a trailer with about 600lbs gvw would be ok for the Mirage to tow. The reason that this topic blew up for weeks was that a member was trying to convince everyone that a enclosed trailer that weighed 1000 lbs with a gvw of 2000 lbs would be ok to tow. Now we have never heard if he ever went through with it or not. I direct messaged him and sent him a email to get a update and no response. I'm thinking either one of two things happened. Either someone somehow convinced him that towing that heavy of a trailer was certifiably insane or he actually did it and found out through experience why this was a really bad decision.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I read through the whole thread (OMFGS was that a long read!). While I believe it is within the realm of possibility to safely tow a 2000 lb (loaded) braked trailer, I would not suggest it to anyone unless they have a helluva lot of experience with towing AND understand what variables could and will affect the handling and how to safely manage/mitigate them.

Again, I'm not saying I would do it with the Mirage because there's just so much that can go wrong but I will give the opinion that it can be done under the right circumstances and know-how. That Skoda I used with the VW golf engine had about 95 hp and weighed about 2,500 lbs. Would I recommend it? No.