Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Why Cant i tow with a mirage

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I think that a trailer with about 600lbs gvw would be ok for the Mirage to tow. The reason that this topic blew up for weeks was that a member was trying to convince everyone that a enclosed trailer that weighed 1000 lbs with a gvw of 2000 lbs would be ok to tow. Now we have never heard if he ever went through with it or not. I direct messaged him and sent him a email to get a update and no response. I'm thinking either one of two things happened. Either someone somehow convinced him that towing that heavy of a trailer was certifiably insane or he actually did it and found out through experience why this was a really bad decision.

I said I'd let everyone know if I did go through with it, not if I didn't. I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything. I *was* trying to gather as much useful information and experience as I could
    before making my decision to.

I had an insane last 4 months that led to me moving to a place with many hills, the steepest to
    and from my new house is an 11% grade. There is no way that's feasible and so I won't be doing
    it, besides gaining law information from my area that suggests that in the event of an accident
    there's no real way to be certain of coverage as the manufacturer states not to tow period in their
    manufacturers manual and the context of a future possible accident is so varied and uncertain.

Disregarding the negative emotional bias you continue to display (certifiably insane? really bad
    decision? seriously?) have you considered that the trailer I was suggesting to tow weighed just a
    few hundred pounds over what Mitsubishi says is a safe load to have in the vehicle with
    passengers/cargo?

Regardless, time to stop beating a dead horse. Lots of great information and some great
    conjecture and food for thought in this thread, but I suggest it should get locked as I highly doubt
    anything more productive can be added to the conversation.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlestan View Post
    I said I'd let everyone know if I did go through with it, not if I didn't. I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything. I *was* trying to gather as much useful information and experience as I could

I had an insane last 4 months that led to me moving to a place with many hills, the steepest to
    and from my new house is an 11% grade. There is no way that's feasible and so I won't be doing
    it, besides gaining law information from my area that suggests that in the event of an accident
    there's no real way to be certain of coverage as the manufacturer states not to tow period in their
    manufacturers manual and the context of a future possible accident is so varied and uncertain.

Disregarding the negative emotional bias you continue to display (certifiably insane? really bad
    decision? seriously?) have you considered that the trailer I was suggesting to tow weighed just a
    few hundred pounds over what Mitsubishi says is a safe load to have in the vehicle with
    passengers/cargo?

Regardless, time to stop beating a dead horse. Lots of great information and some great
    conjecture and food for thought in this thread, but I suggest it should get locked as I highly doubt

Thanks for for giving us a update. In the end you answered your own question. Mitsubishi says don't tow period therefore as you stated: "besides gaining law information from my area that suggests that in the event of an accident
    manufacturers manual and the context of a future possible accident is so varied and uncertain.". Lastly, as was debated ad nauseum in previous posts there is a fundamental difference between placing 1000 lbs inside the confines of the passenger space of the Mirage and placing 1000 lbs outside the the vehicle focused onto one point (the trailer hitch). I'm glad you didn't end up going through with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Littlestan (02-09-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts

passengers/cargo?

Thanks for checking in!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Littlestan (02-09-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    and from my new house is an 11% grade.
    Littlestan, good to hear from you again. I hope all is going well for you, and that your move was under good circumstances. How's your Mirage doing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Littlestan (02-09-2016)

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Thanks for for giving us a update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Thanks for checking in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Littlestan, good to hear from you again. I hope all is going well for you, and that your move was under good circumstances. How's your Mirage doing?
    Thank guys, I really appreciate the warm regards!

Mirage is good, I'm good (now) and life is moving forward. I'll be sure to update my garage with new stuff soon... next thing is that armrest Cobra put in his Mirage!

Looks like I missed quite a bit the last 4 months; hope all y'all are doing well too.
    Last edited by Littlestan; 02-09-2016 at 06:50 PM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Littlestan For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-11-2016),Daox (02-09-2016),Eggman (02-09-2016),inuvik (02-09-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Online group hugs are hilarious.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here is my Geo Metro towing a 1300 lbs scamp

I towed 1/2 mile on a gravel road just to say I did
    It would be suicide to pull it on the road
    Last edited by poorman1; 03-11-2016 at 04:08 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to poorman1 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-28-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I installed the hitch to haul light loads, A mattress set, a few boards, a couple sheets of plywood or something you wouldn't want in the car.
    The heaviest I ever towed was a 500 lbs ATV or snowmobile Slowly with extreme caution.
    I built a box on a 4x4 harbor freight trailer, and hauled all our luggage etc. to Florida and back,
    2700 miles and couldn't even tell it was there.
    I actually got better mileage with it then without,It must have been a drafting or camback? effect of some sort

15. The Following User Says Thank You to poorman1 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-11-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    I built a box on a 4x4 harbor freight trailer, and hauled all our luggage etc. to Florida and back,
    2700 miles and couldn't even tell it was there.
    Any pictures of your work?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No, it was just a plywood box 4x4',2' tall. 2 sheets of 1/2 " plywood
    Traded for something years ago