Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool

Good point they have really advanced in safety on the Mirage! And Mitsubishi cars! One thing I learned when I had mine, was if you unlocked the Door and got side tracked and didn't open the door and you came back to the car , the door was locked! I really like that!

Last edited by debburyl; 12-21-2015 at 06:33 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Great Britain
    Thanks
    Hey

On European versions with the 4 bar green "Eco" leaf, the indicator switches off above legal speeds (I'm not saying anything more!)

It doesn't have a passenger vanity mirror on the sun visor - an omission I still find hard to believe!

In colder months you can disable the A/C running all the time by holding down the snowflake button (climate controlled cars) for several seconds until it beeps. Re-enable with another press for several seconds. Windscreen demist will override as will manually engaging the A/C.

Again climate controlled cars, you can still change the air circulation mode from recirculate / fresh air even if it's turned off. You'll see the symbol on the display for recirculate / fresh air will appear when you press the button, and then disappear again after a few seconds.

There's a bag hook that features as part of the passenger side head rest.

When I asked them, MMUK said that using 'higher octane' fuel would add no benefits to the Mirage's fuel efficiency, nor offer any performance boost (as it's only 3 cyclinders and a small engine) and from reading various forums, that each market has its engines tuned for the quality / grade of fuel in that market. So in the UK, standard 95 RON Unleaded is fine; put in more expensive 97 RON Super Unleaded, is just flushing your money away.

There's a little hooky thing on the fuel flap to hang your cap from when filling so it doesn't just clank onto the side of your car.

For the MP3 users out there; long pressing "Display" (I think it is) lets you set the preferred format for displaying the song information - ID3 tag titles / filename. Single pressing it (not long pressing) switches the ID3 tag fields, like Artist, Title, Album, Genre etc.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pilchardfish For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (12-27-2015),Daox (12-28-2015),fc321 (07-19-2017),Fummins (11-26-2019),Teasmade (12-26-2015),ThunderG (12-27-2015)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Cool a few remarks

Quote Originally Posted by pilchardfish View Post
    Hey

On European versions with the 4 bar green "Eco" leaf, the indicator switches off above legal speeds (I'm not saying anything more!)

It doesn't have a passenger vanity mirror on the sun visor - an omission I still find hard to believe!

In colder months you can disable the A/C running all the time by holding down the snowflake button (climate controlled cars) for several seconds until it beeps. Re-enable with another press for several seconds. Windscreen demist will override as will manually engaging the A/C.

Again climate controlled cars, you can still change the air circulation mode from recirculate / fresh air even if it's turned off. You'll see the symbol on the display for recirculate / fresh air will appear when you press the button, and then disappear again after a few seconds.

There's a bag hook that features as part of the passenger side head rest.

When I asked them, MMUK said that using 'higher octane' fuel would add no benefits to the Mirage's fuel efficiency, nor offer any performance boost (as it's only 3 cyclinders and a small engine) and from reading various forums, that each market has its engines tuned for the quality / grade of fuel in that market. So in the UK, standard 95 RON Unleaded is fine; put in more expensive 97 RON Super Unleaded, is just flushing your money away.

There's a little hooky thing on the fuel flap to hang your cap from when filling so it doesn't just clank onto the side of your car.

For the MP3 users out there; long pressing "Display" (I think it is) lets you set the preferred format for displaying the song information - ID3 tag titles / filename. Single pressing it (not long pressing) switches the ID3 tag fields, like Artist, Title, Album, Genre etc.

Hi I want to make a few remarks and a question. I own a EU spec Mirage, but the Eco leafs will not turn off at illegal speeds. What struck me was the contrary even. If I drive very high speeds (150 kph or about) on the cruise control, all eco leaves are on !

On high quality fuel: On the octane level, you are right, but still especially when you do a lot of city driving, it might make sense to fill with more expensive fuel because it prevents carbon settling on the valves and pistons.

Your trick on the recirculation knob was unclear to me. You cannot turn off the ventilation/heating/ventilator in cars with automatic climate control, hence I do not understand your point.

Country
    Great Britain
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    Hi I want to make a few remarks and a question. I own a EU spec Mirage, but the Eco leafs will not turn off at illegal speeds. What struck me was the contrary even. If I drive very high speeds (150 kph or about) on the cruise control, all eco leaves are on !

On high quality fuel: On the octane level, you are right, but still especially when you do a lot of city driving, it might make sense to fill with more expensive fuel because it prevents carbon settling on the valves and pistons.

Your trick on the recirculation knob was unclear to me. You cannot turn off the ventilation/heating/ventilator in cars with automatic climate control, hence I do not understand your point.
    Hi, I don't want to name the speed, but if you go fast enough the eco leaf lights turn off even if you coast at that speed. On the UK model at least.

On the climate control, hit the off button. It's off when all the fans and temperature icons disappear. But you can still switch from recirculate air mode to fresh air mode by pressing the button for changing that. The icon appears briefly to show if air is recirculated or not, then goes off again. This is without turning the climate control unit back on.

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Regarding the 95/97 octane thing on UK/EU cars... Do we have a knock sensor on our Mirages?

I know on previous Mitsubishis I've owned that there's been a knock sensor and adaptive knock control programmed into the engine ECUs - and on the UK cars I've had, whilst there was no perceptible performance benefit to 97+ RON petrol, when connected to Evoscan, it counted less knock events (and therefore less timing pulled and less alterations to the fuel map trims) on higher octane fuel. - especially when it was hot weather and the car was under high load. I never did enough controlled driving to establish if there was an MPG benefit.

One of my Mitsubishis was a Japanese import; now that was mapped for high octane petrol and running it on 95 was a very bad idea!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Teasmade View Post
    Regarding the 95/97 octane thing on UK/EU cars... Do we have a knock sensor on our Mirages?

I know on previous Mitsubishis I've owned that there's been a knock sensor and adaptive knock control programmed into the engine ECUs - and on the UK cars I've had, whilst there was no perceptible performance benefit to 97+ RON petrol, when connected to Evoscan, it counted less knock events (and therefore less timing pulled and less alterations to the fuel map trims) on higher octane fuel. - especially when it was hot weather and the car was under high load. I never did enough controlled driving to establish if there was an MPG benefit.

One of my Mitsubishis was a Japanese import; now that was mapped for high octane petrol and running it on 95 was a very bad idea!
    On the Eco leaves, my experience is that on top speed the orange light is on. It does not switch off in my car. The funny thing is, that if you go top speed on cruise control, all the green indicators are on, haha. Funny. On octane, I do think that the engine adapts to octane levels, as it is in the owners manual. It says (from the top of my head) that 95 is minimum, but 91 can be used in exceptional cases with some loss of power. But my point was not the octane level, but the dopes preventing carbon settling on valves.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teasmade View Post

The last I had checked is just about every new engine made now has a knock sensor provision on the engine. This is to keep the emmissions as clean as possible, with a side effect of increasing power when the correct octane fuel is used. Even though the compression ratio is moderately high on our 3 cylinder motors, cam timing plays a crucial role in cylinder pressures. If cylinder pressures can be kept low, you can have a rather high static compression ratio and the engine will run perfectly fine on low octane fuel. Running higher octane fuel really has no benefit if the ignition timing is not being pulled due to spark knock. If anything, running the lowest octane fuel possible without seeing a decrease in ignition timing (due to knock being detected) will give you the highest horsepower, and the best fuel economy.

As long as you only use good quality fuel then there is no benefit to higher octane since a majority of quality fuel distributors put additives in all octane fuel being sold, not just the high octane stuff. Since higher octane fuel also burns slower, one might actually be causing more carbon buildup on valves by running higher octane fuel instead of the lowest octane fuel you can run without ignition timing being pulled.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of miss-information out there regarding fuel.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    The last I had checked is just about every new engine made now has a knock sensor provision on the engine. This is to keep the emmissions as clean as possible, with a side effect of increasing power when the correct octane fuel is used. Even though the compression ratio is moderately high on our 3 cylinder motors, cam timing plays a crucial role in cylinder pressures. If cylinder pressures can be kept low, you can have a rather high static compression ratio and the engine will run perfectly fine on low octane fuel. Running higher octane fuel really has no benefit if the ignition timing is not being pulled due to spark knock. If anything, running the lowest octane fuel possible without seeing a decrease in ignition timing (due to knock being detected) will give you the highest horsepower, and the best fuel economy.

As long as you only use good quality fuel then there is no benefit to higher octane since a majority of quality fuel distributors put additives in all octane fuel being sold, not just the high octane stuff. Since higher octane fuel also burns slower, one might actually be causing more carbon buildup on valves by running higher octane fuel instead of the lowest octane fuel you can run without ignition timing being pulled.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of miss-information out there regarding fuel.
    I know (well at least I think I do) about fuels and engines. In the Netherlands we have two fuels, both sold as 95 octane. The more expensive one has dopes preventing and even removing carbon in the engine, among some other less important things. That is my point. The octane levels are both the same.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Eco indicator also turns off above about 78 mph even if I am coasting with my foot off the gas.

When I am using bluetooth to make a phone call the radio display shows ''Connected''. If during a call I want to check the time and I press the clock indicator button the radio display wont show the time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For the Push Button Start. so i guess ES in the US. if you Press it 3 times quickly while turned on it shuts down the car. This is for emerncys and not reccommended while moving. But i know this works, guessing it is for is there is a engine fire or something

There is no I in team. But there is a PU in group and you guys stink.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)