Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
    If you give it WOT (this is in the 5speed, not sure about the auto) in neutral it will stop short of ride line and decrease the RPM even if you don't lift.
    It's like a fuel cut type of thing.
    Also happens when the car is cold and you try and hit limiter. Same in first gear, you can't hit limiter.
    And in second gear, it happens and you feel the car cut the power.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    It's like a fuel cut type of thing.
    Also happens when the car is cold and you try and hit limiter. Same in first gear, you can't hit limiter.
    And in second gear, it happens and you feel the car cut the power.

It is because you do not have control over what the throttle actually does, the computer has control. Our cars have a system called drive by wire. There is no physical throttle cable connecting the gas pedal to the throttle body. Instead, there is a sensor on the throttle pedal, and a corresponding motor on the throttle body. The computer then sees what you want the throttle to do, but it has certain parameters that must be met in order to do what you want. If those parameters are not met then the computer does not do what you want. Just like the above situation where you have the gas pedal floored when sitting still. The computer does not see that the car is moving so it does not open the throttle all the way.

I am not a fan of drive by wire cars due to the delay that there is between when you press on the throttle and when the car responds. I MUCH rather a traditional throttle cable, but those tend to increase warranty claims for a manufacture so I understand what they put it on cars.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With the CVT model, if you have it in either drive or reverse and let the car roll in the opposite direction down a steep driveway, the car will die.

I had the car in reverse and was backing up my steep driveway. The car was not lined up right, so I just took my foot off the brake and let the car roll forward while it was still in reverse. I got to the bottom of my driveway and the motor had died.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Funny I should catch this thread today. Just yesterday I discovered my U.S. spec Mirage has semi-automatic turn signals. There's probably an actual name for it, but that's what I'm calling it at the moment. To signal when changing lanes, you don't have to gently press and hold the lever, as in most cars. You simple tap the lever and it will automatically blink 3 times and turn off. Anyone else notice this?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to palebeachbum For This Useful Post:

fanfare (08-08-2021)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    Funny I should catch this thread today. Just yesterday I discovered my U.S. spec Mirage has semi-automatic turn signals. There's probably an actual name for it, but that's what I'm calling it at the moment. To signal when changing lanes, you don't have to gently press and hold the lever, as in most cars. You simple tap the lever and it will automatically blink 3 times and turn off. Anyone else notice this?
    Yeah, designed for changing lanes. Also over here it's handy for when you are leaving a round a bout and have to indicate out.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    It is because you do not have control over what the throttle actually does, the computer has control. Our cars have a system called drive by wire. There is no physical throttle cable connecting the gas pedal to the throttle body. Instead, there is a sensor on the throttle pedal, and a corresponding motor on the throttle body. The computer then sees what you want the throttle to do, but it has certain parameters that must be met in order to do what you want. If those parameters are not met then the computer does not do what you want. Just like the above situation where you have the gas pedal floored when sitting still. The computer does not see that the car is moving so it does not open the throttle all the way.

I am not a fan of drive by wire cars due to the delay that there is between when you press on the throttle and when the car responds. I MUCH rather a traditional throttle cable, but those tend to increase warranty claims for a manufacture so I understand what they put it on cars.
    Knew it was something like that. Since it doesn't ,let you hit the limter. I have accidentally down shifted from 3rd to 2nd at 110, poor car made a loud noise and just cut all throttle and power till it was under 92km/h then would let me accelerate again.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    Yes this is working but not with all speeds, I tryed it several times when I drove 100KM/h and then it doesn't work. When I drive arround 50KM/h it is working?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage CVT 1.2 automatic: 39.5 mpg (US) ... 16.8 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 47.4 mpg (Imp)

I remember it was sensitive to how long you press the lever down. Tap down too quickly and it won't do the 3 blinks. I forget if it only does 1 blink if you hold it down too long, too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ToXiQ View Post
    Yes this is working but not with all speeds, I tryed it several times when I drove 100KM/h and then it doesn't work. When I drive arround 50KM/h it is working?
    I was wondering that myself. I couldn't figure out if I wasn't tapping the lever just right, or if it has to do with my speed. Sometimes it seemed to work and other times not. Honestly, I'm finding it a rather user UN-friendly feature and a bit useless. I'm not so lazy that I can't just hold the lever down part way for 2 or 3 secs as I change lanes. Maybe more useful for stick drivers? I really just can't see a point to it.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Probably I didn't test ut very well. Today it did what the manual mentioned regardless which speed i had.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage CVT 1.2 automatic: 39.5 mpg (US) ... 16.8 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 47.4 mpg (Imp)