Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Valve adjustment info found under hood (Periodic valve adjustement required?)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    the measurements is just a guide but there is no possible way to adjust it since its a tappet type the only way to correct the measurements is by measuring it then doing the math (there's a formula on the manual) then plotting it on the diagram(also on the manual) to know the specs of the tub(tappet) that you need, this repair is a bit of a headache we have done this way back 2016 i think and even if you already got all the tappets specs that you need parts is not readily available for the reason that the measurements is so random dealers will not store this kind of parts, we ended up porting the tappet with thick shim to fit with the measurements.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hi, I'm an owner of a Nissan Micra and adjusting the Valves would be the same procedure on the Micra and Versa 1.6L HD16DE engines. I'm assuming Nissan 1.8L is the same way and usually over 100k KM, the engines starts chattering and could be mistaken for an engine problem (piston slap). Now as far as I know, one can adjust the the valve but as said before. Take the valve cover off, messure the clearance, take the cams off, messure the bucket, calculate if another bucket would be appropriate, order new buckets, wait a few days, and reinstall. This isn't a hard job, just time consuming.

Running the engine with chatty valves isn't going to make the engine perform any worse either. Just noisy.

Too bad one can't put in hydrolic lifters in. Let alone if the oil journals are present which I doubt.

Cheers to everyone from the Nissan micra-forum.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jgoedhard For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoedhard View Post
    Cheers to everyone from the Nissan micra-forum.com
    Cheers! And welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi all,

Next time I am at the mechanic, we are going to do the valve adjustment and post it to youtube.
    I have no idea how to do it however, since it says it in the manual I assume it is needed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Hi all,

Next time I am at the mechanic, we are going to do the valve adjustment and post it to youtube.
    I have no idea how to do it however, since it says it in the manual I assume it is needed.
    The Mitsubishi Maintenance Schedule includes items the Mirage doesn't even have. For example - changing the transfer oil every 30,000 miles is recommended, but a Mirage doesn't have that type of transfer case (some other models might have one).

The Mirage engine is a 3A92, & I have never heard of anyone adjusting the valves on these engines.

My owner's manual states a 3A9, 4B1, 4J1, & 6B1 may need a valve adjustment.

If I thought a Mirage needed valve adjustments every 30,000 miles, I wouldn't own one.

If you find something to adjust, please share. I'm not sure that recommendation applies to our engines, however.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-30-2023),inuvik (12-30-2023),mohammad (12-30-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The Mitsubishi Maintenance Schedule includes items the Mirage doesn't even have. For example - changing the transfer oil every 30,000 miles is recommended, but a Mirage doesn't have that type of transfer case (some other models might have one).

The Mirage engine is a 3A92, & I have never heard of anyone adjusting the valves on these engines.

My owner's manual states a 3A9, 4B1, 4J1, & 6B1 may need a valve adjustment.

If I thought a Mirage needed valve adjustments every 30,000 miles, I wouldn't own one.

If you find something to adjust, please share. I'm not sure that recommendation applies to our engines, however.
    There’s no point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (12-30-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Manual says:

72,000KM (48,000miles) or at 36 months
    "Inspect and adjust intake and exhaust valve clearance (3A9 engine, 4B1 engine, 4B4 engine)"

Apparently all Hondas need this as well. From what I understand, if the valves are loose it can cost more fuel, if the valves are tight they can retain more heat instead of dissipating heat.

@Fummins, I know from an industrial standpoint cost/benefit may not be there.

@Mark I thought the transfer case was for 4wd only?

Just interested in learning how to do this.
    Last edited by sunbeam; 12-30-2023 at 02:57 AM. Reason: clarity

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey, I do the valve adjustment on my 58 year old air cooled VW every 5000 miles. The manual calls for every 3000 miles, but I like to live on the edge!!! The engine is a slightly different design, tho...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Hi all,

Quick question for you sunbeam - have you read through the rest of this thread? I'm pretty sure this has been discussed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-01-2024)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Quick question for you sunbeam - have you read through the rest of this thread? I'm pretty sure this has been discussed.
    Hi Eggman,

I have read the thread, but since there is a service bulletin and it says in the manual specifically referencing the 39A engine, I would bet that this is something that would be worth doing.

Cant remember where but another member linked the attached service bulletin.

I would say I like to see and do something myself after appraising the available literature.

If the valves are not adjustable will report back the findings.

Attached Images Attached Images