Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Valve adjustment info found under hood ...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    Are you sure that site is ok? It seemed to try and eat my computer alive when I went there.
    I never have issues either but I also have uBlock origin and ad blocker plus installed in chrome.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The maintenance schedule for the 2015 Mirage has a very few Xes in a row next to the words "Inspect and adjust valve clearance" and "3A9" engine, but-But-BUT there is a footnote designated by " *2 " ! And when you look at the end of the schedule for the footnote *2, you find it says this:

*2: Check valve clearance in case abnormal noise from valves is heard.

The maintenance guide has a Schedule 1 ( for vehicles used in more challenging conditions) and a Schedule 2 (for more gently used vehicles); on both schedules, the check valve clearance contingency is indicated by Xes for 60,000 miles and 120,000 miles. So it sounds like you are supposed to listen for abnormal valve noise, once every 60,000 miles, and, if you hear it then, have the dealer do whatever it is they do to adjust the valve clearances.

Presumably, were the valves making an abnormal noise at any other time, the dealer (or any other mechanic) would be only too happy to inform a Mirage owner that the valve clearances needed to be checked and possibly adjusted for a lusciously high price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I could be mistaken but I don't know of anyone here on the forum that has had to adjust their valves ever. I'm sure we'll find out if anyone has.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

DonkeyPal (03-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I could be mistaken but I don't know of anyone here on the forum that has had to adjust their valves ever. I'm sure we'll find out if anyone has.
    As others have stated earlier in this thread, the valves on the 3A92 require no routine maintenance. They are the solid-lifter type, but there are no provisions for adjustment other than pulling the cams and replacing the tappets with ones of a different thickness. There are no shims, no locknut adjusters, etc.

This is only required if abnormal valve train noise is heard.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-29-2019),DonkeyPal (03-28-2019),inuvik (03-28-2019),poorman1 (03-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've owned several older hondas with a ton of miles, and even the 20+ year old engines in them rarely needed much if any adjustment at the 250000+ miles I had on them when I checked valve clearance on them(these were d-series motors with valve adjusters). With the advancements in oil, metallurgy, and engine design, with regular oil changes I suspect you would be at 350k miles or more before you needed to worry about valve clearance in one of these engines.