Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: With fuel prices dropping, what's going to happen to Mirage sales?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kissfan View Post
    That just means it's even cheaper than ever to drive a mirage.
    INDEED!! It justifies the purchase of Mirage way even more! Plus it looks good, I constantly got praised by everyone even ppl I don't know at parking lot that it's a good looking car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Fuel prices always fluctaute, but the general direction is always up.

Waisting fuel or energy makes our world more miserable for future generations and those already starving today.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ever since I owned a Ford Aspire and got at least 40 MPG, I'm spoiled and can't go back to anything that gets less.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Ever since I owned a Ford Aspire and got at least 40 MPG, I'm spoiled and can't go back to anything that gets less.
    I think it's real Stupid to jump from a. Gas saver to a GAS HOG and think that gas prices are going to stay down. Here in the Pacific Northwest gas is still high it's still over 3:00 a gal.its went down.But it will go back up! I love my Mirage besides even if it stays down I have other things to spend my money on.besides people who have a mirage or small car are smarter to be saving gas and going a lot farther on a gal of gas.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    I would not dare to judge others people's favor of high powered cars. In the end, one has to admit that the reason for some drivers to buy a Mirage was in fact the high gas price at that time. We are all short-sighted humans, after all.

Personally, I like my Mirage, I like the low gas price too, and I don't regret my purchase.
    Having driven a Mustang, on the other hand, I would have fun times at the moment, without too much incentive to go for a Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used to live in Oregon, it took forever to get used to having someone else pump my own gas. I've since moved out east, but I'm still in a state with E10 mandates. :/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think Mirages are too bottom barrel/fringe to be affected. The sales for rentals, first time buyers and the fuel economy minded won't be changed. I don't think people shopping for $13k cars are cross shopping them with $24k SUVs.

Good theory.

And a look at sales numbers of "America's cheapest car" (which is also relatively efficient, too -- though not as good as the Mirage) seems to support that idea.

The Nissan Versa (Tiida) has been increasing sales almost every year since it was introduced. There was a jump up in '08 when US gas prices spiked, and then a drop in '09 when they crashed (also the beginning of the Great Recession). But other than '09, they're higher than '08 every year:

Year
    Nissan Versa
    U.S. Sales
    first year of sales, probably not a full year
    oil prices hit record highs nearing ~$150
    oil crashes to ~$30, Great Recession
    oil surpasses $100 again
    2014 YTD *
    oil now near ~80

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Those are huge sales figures for the versa, but to be honest I never see them around Charlotte in North Carolina! I have seen at least 8 different Mirages though. I do get to see a lot of rich people's cars, those bankers know how to live.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree with points made before.

It is still the best value.
    It is an efficient choice - that efficiency is good for the personal budget, the environment, and the national budget (what would gas cost if the demand was reduced commensurate with everyone driving only the vehicle they needed, not the one they desired?)
    Who can predict what gas will cost over the period of ownership. Resale on a Mirage will be good if gas goes back up. Resale on an SUV will be poor. In fact, expensive cars always depreciate a lot more.

I do the math all the time, and the Mirage comes out on top. The only way the Mirage can lose is if it is measured against things it wasn't designed to do (towing, off roading, racing) or against arbitrary standards of luxury/performance (if leather, sunroof, touch-screen displays and all wheel drive are crucial to you and worth an extra $10k then the Mirage isn't for you).

The Mirage is still unique in the marketplace, and a better choice for most than the Scion IQ, Smart, and Nissan Micra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)