Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: With fuel prices dropping, what's going to happen to Mirage sales?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Right now I am in Norway, and 95 octane fuel costs the equivalent of US Dollar 7.22 per US gallon.
    By the way, Norway is known for its enormously rich oil fields.
    I've wondered about fuel prices in Europe... they're pretty high compared to the US as we all know. We're beaten over the head with it in the US all the time - "Well in Europe, they pay $9 per gallon for gas, so stop complaining about paying $4 per gallon!"

But what isn't often mentioned - how far does someone in Germany, or Norway, or France, or the UK drive each day? What is your daily commute like? I bought my Mirage in the middle of November last year - I've had it four months, and my odometer reads 8,600 miles. (13932 KM) I have to drive 10 miles (16 km) to find so much as a gas station or grocery store. Work is 30 miles from my driveway. (48.6 km) Cities in the US aren't set up for pedestrian traffic, sadly. There are bicycle and jogging trails all over Tulsa, OK, but none of those trails go anywhere useful. You have to drive miles to get to them in most cases. Public transportation is not a thing in most of the US - remember we are more than New York and Los Angeles! There is a bus service locally, but it doesn't help you if you have to get to work outside of the hours of 8am to 5 pm. And it helps you not at all if you need to get somewhere outside of the main part of the city.

So, the real question is - sure, gas is equivalent to $7.22 a gallon - but how much do you spend on gas? The mirage uses so little fuel compared to my '95 Grand Cherokee that the fuel savings pay for the car.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    To answer your question, my daily commute is about 18km one way. Before that it was 104km one way, for 12 years in a row. Not because I like it, but it was the only thing possible without being unemployed.
    I drive around 30 000km privately, and between around 40ooo and perhaps 60000km for my boss each year.
    And yes, its not uncommon for one third of your wages to go into fuel.
    My daughter spends about a 1/8th of her wages on fuel, she needs to take a car because there's no public transport when she has to be there.

But then, people are different, situations are different, and so on. My neighbour goes to work with a bycycle, lucky him. I really would like to live near my workplace, but its not possible.

Then again, high fuel prices are intended to make people drive less and drive economically. In Germany, we have achieved over 40% CO2 reduction, and further 40% is planned. There is no doubt that this will be achieved, one way or the other.
    In many Scandinavian countries, and especially in Holland, there are lots of bike paths, pedestrian walkways, etc. certainly very good.

Last edited by foama; 03-05-2015 at 07:48 PM.