Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Low Fuel warning (gas gauge flashes well before empty)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coolflippers View Post
    i got 11.05 gallons in.
    OMG! Don't do that!! You're going to cause the world to end!!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-18-2023),MetroMPG (12-19-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    :''''-)
    '21 1.2 MT

The only flooded Mirage charcoal canister that I've ever seen was on my own car. Over filling the fuel tank with gas had nothing to do with it. I've filled it up with fuel right up to the cap before, it likes it...They don't like water though. Water bad. If water is up to the seats then there's now water in your fuel tank.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-19-2023)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (12-19-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    WORD!!!

Fummins - I'm glad you mentioned topping it off to the cap. I did that 1 meeeeellion times in my Camry and Corolla, with not one issue. I won't do it in my Lexus, as that car is too expensive to expose myself to repairing something on it (so far, the LS 460L has been very Camry-ish, not one damn thing has gone wrong).

I've wondered about topping off the Mirage like that. There's been an instance or two where another 30 miles range on the tank on an interstate run would have been handy. My youngest son is at a college that is right at 1 tank away (when running 75 mph - 80 mph). A few extra shekels of gas down the hole will have me getting there with less seat cover gathered up my crack.

Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just wish the Mirage was easier to fill to the brim.

On my TDI Beetle, the fuel cap is at the top of the fender and when you remove the vent from the filler neck, you can fill it all the way to the top with the Big Truck nozzle in dang near NASCAR pit stop times. Then just let the foam die down and trickle it right straight plum full to the top. One of many things I miss about that car.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    A problem particularly with small cars is, the bottom of the tank is flat, and that flat surface is large. Therefore if the car is not level and not very much fuel left, the fuel pump will suck air. To prevent the engine from concking out going up or down a steep hill or on a sloping embankment, the gauge was designed to give you an early warning. That early warning is perfect for hilly districts (Japan!), but seems premature if you stay in flat terrain.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-22-2023)

I'll take a flat tank over this

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'll take a flat tank over this

Cheers!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-22-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    the gauge was designed to give you an early warning.
    I GUARANTEE you, it is not.

These systems are very basic (especially for a Mirage), there's just no need for more accuracy in automotive fueling / fuel warning systems. I can guarantee you it is more like, "that's good enough, we're not measuring fuel availability in a solid rocket booster for the space shuttle." I say this, in essence. In reality, of course there are standards. But the precision is such that (for example) that threshold of low fuel light to activation, is rather broad.

These systems are put together (designed) for vehicles in such a way that they work "good enough," then cost down the sheeite out of them, and carry these systems over (as much as possible) to as many other vehicles as is possible. These fuel measurement systems are about as low tech as can be (and I respect that). Hyundai-Kia would make them out of dirt if gas wouldn't dissolve them. But what do I know? I only worked for Toyota & Hyundai-Kia in their vehicle design departments.