Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT road test / review (MotorWeek) UPDATE: video added

US: 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT road test / review (MotorWeek) UPDATE: video added

Name:  motorweek-mirage.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  39.7 KB

Look at the header image on MotorWeek's website: expensive, powerful import doing a full on burn-out.

What do you think they're going to say about the Mirage? It is not promising when they admit right off the top...

...we admit to dragging our heels into doing a complete test.
    Translation: "This car is just not appealing to us. But I guess we have to review it, so here goes."

But you know what? They do a decent job of keeping things in perspective. This this is probably one of the fairest reviews of the car among the "big" U.S. car review outlets (longest running TV car show in the country).

Likes...

- CVT is "no more objectionable other whiney CVTs"
    - interior materials seem rugged
    - decent fit & finish
    - comfortable seats, despite flat appearance
    - upside to a soft suspension: "may be one of the best riding cars in the segment"
    - sporty, pleasing exhaust note
    - excellent fuel economy

Dislikes...

- missing center arm rest
    - slow, mushy steering
    - sloppy handling in sharp maneuvers
    - braking distance is longer than it should be for a car this light
    - price of top spec trim makes it less competitive

Overall ...

Mitsubishi realizes that they are facing an uphill battle. But bringing the Mirage to market with a great ride, acceptable build quality, and respectable comfort for a city car, is a sound plan.
    Read the full review: http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...subishi-mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (12-19-2014)

Also: the video of this review supposedly airs tomorrow on PBS.

Update ... here it is:

Lots of comments on the video too:

https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=zvays8Zsulg

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Iv always liked motorweek

They posted their Mirage review on YouTube today - added to post#2. Going to watch it now!

This one's going to get lots of comments too: https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=zvays8Zsulg

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That's not such a bad stint . Surprised they liked the ride and how it handled weaving in / out of the cones . The 44.5 they got is a extra bonus . They don't exactly pamper the cars . Hopefully they'll do a long term . Gettin' the itch again . Little wider tires and a rear sway could help the performance without putting a big hurt on the gas mileage . A 175/65-14 should aid the handling . Didn't someone say they put the General Altimax RT43 on their MIRAGE ? If so , wonder how that's working out for them . We have the 175/65-15 H-rated on our '13 FIT and we're happy with them for now . They do quite well in rain and snow . Ride seems softer with a bit more steering response . Gas mileage might be taking a slight hit , hard to tell with the gas being a winter blend and colder weather .
    Last edited by cinder; 12-21-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Tyres tyres tyres. The local media praised the Mirage's braking distance when it came out; the top-spec model (mine) came with 175/55/R15 Bridgestone Potenza RE050 tyres. I think the US spec only comes with 14" economy tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Dislikes...
    - braking distance is longer than it should be for a car this light

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been driving on the General Altimax 175/65-14's for a few months now. Very sticky tires, and yes the handling has improved quite a bit. Mileage has suffered also, but not too bad. Have driven through pretty deep snows and am impressed with these tires. Bought a little plastic kids shovel in the same Kiwi green as the car and did not have to take it out of the hatch yet to use it as I have not been stuck, so yes I am impressed with these tires. Most likely will be going the 175/65-14 route for summer tires if summer ever comes!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Usually they have a hard time meeting the fuel consumption numbers ... they beat them. Not bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    Tyres tyres tyres. The local media praised the Mirage's braking distance when it came out; the top-spec model (mine) came with 175/55/R15 Bridgestone Potenza RE050 tyres. I think the US spec only comes with 14" economy tyres.
    Alpha: I remember reading praise for its braking from PH. Australia, too, where the top spec trim has the wider/lower profile (and presumably stickier) tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Probably a bit worse for fuel economy?