Thread: A Year in Cars, 2014: The Mitsubishi Mirage Delivers a Surprise

A Year in Cars, 2014: The Mitsubishi Mirage Delivers a Surprise

Name:  mirage-awn.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  45.6 KB

After reading this review, nobody will say "they loved it!"

But they do manage to keep things in proper context, obvious from the opening sentence:

Empathy and understanding were key to our week of getting to know the Mirage
    They take Mitsu to task for...

- the CVT when pushed hard "groans and wails with irritation"
    - plasticky interior
    - soft suspension
    - rear seat comfort

But they also acknowledge its strengths...

- half the price of the average new car
    - nav system easier to use than a Mercedes Benz
    - the 3-pot sound / exhaust note
    - slots nicely between 2 other efficient 3-bangers: "both are either significantly more expensive (Fiesta) or compromised (Fortwo)"

Overall:

It may not be a stellar, game-changing hatchback to drive, but it is a basic one that comes with a five-year guarantee [...] we applaud Mitsubishi for its gutsiness in showing American customers that a bargain-priced new car is possible for about 15 grand. Sometimes, the best kind of surprise is the one you weren't expecting.
    Read the full review: http://www.autoworldnews.com/article...ck-economy.htm

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

CLARK (01-02-2015),Mikhail (01-13-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They say in the review that you can hardly hear the radio on the highway. Does the 2014 have a different radio than the 2015? The radio in my Mirage is great.

I notice a LOT of complaints about the Mirage, such as vibration, noise, and body roll, are all from those who have reviewed the 2014. There aren't reviews of the 2015. My 2015 is absolutely silent on the inside when idling. It is also very, very smooth, in fact smoother than the wife's corolla. I have zero trouble getting up to speed for the highway, in fact I'm normally having to slow down and wait on traffic in front of me. I can fly into a corner well above any sane and reasonable speed and the car feels planted.

Did they fix things for 2015? Minor tweaks?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i have the 14 mirage and can hear my radio, no issues. I grabbed the last 14 on the lot and it was by chance it was a stick

Yeah - I thought the radio comment was odd. Many reviews praise the sound system for an entry level car.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    Did they fix things for 2015? Minor tweaks?
    They actually did revise the engine mounts, for one thing. To transmit less vibration into the cabin.

Also see:
    Thread: Notable differences between the 2014 - 2015 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just drove a 2015 cvt, it was great except when pushed hard, I didn't want to do harm to it but 98% of my 10 mile test drive was excellent. I did not notice any change in vibration of course I don't notice much vibration in my 14 5mt. I enjoyed driving the cvt and I was impressed but I know I made the right choice for me with the 5mt because I get bored too easily and I must have that feeling of control over my car. I see now why car reviewers criticize the mirage so bad, if they want a driving experience than they need a 5mt! If you want a relaxed max mpg cruiser the cvt is a good choice. I think reviews would be different if these die hard car testers had the 5mt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    I just drove a 2015 cvt, it was great except when pushed hard, I didn't want to do harm to it but 98% of my 10 mile test drive was excellent. I did not notice any change in vibration of course I don't notice much vibration in my 14 5mt. I enjoyed driving the cvt and I was impressed but I know I made the right choice for me with the 5mt because I get bored too easily and I must have that feeling of control over my car. I see now why car reviewers criticize the mirage so bad, if they want a driving experience than they need a 5mt! If you want a relaxed max mpg cruiser the cvt is a good choice. I think reviews would be different if these die hard car testers had the 5mt.
    haha, I bet some of those die hard car tester idiots don't even know how to drive a stick...losers...

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    They also don't know how to drive a lightly powered CVT. It takes some time to learn techniques for best performance and economy. Just because you don't have to shift gears, it doesn't mean it performs the same as a high powered automatic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mi,mi, I fully agree with you! U have to get to know your mirage and the great CVT . I've learned a lot when going real slow and to prevent the clunk sound .
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    agreed with you guys too. the CVT is just fine. it only took a couple weeks to learn to predict its ways, although i did chuckle at the comment about how it becomes "irritated" under certain conditions. i think i know what the reviewer meant with that comment. but it's really under only the most extreme circumstances that it gets mad (like doing a u-turn mid street and stepping on it as hard as possible while still in the turn). both transmission choices are good. which clunk are you experiencing deb?

as for the radio, it can so easily be heard at highway speed. they should try an early 90's civic if they think the radio is hard to hear in a mirage!