Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else getting excessive tire wear? (Dunlop Enasave 165/65r14)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just talked to another tire guy and he said the stock tires on my Mirage, Dunlop Ensaves, are very soft tires that don't even have a mileage warranty. He also said it's no big deal to mount 175/65s on a 4.5" wide tire even though the preferred range is 5-6". I really have no choice but to try the 175/65s since the only 165/65s tires I can get are expensive and wear out fast. I'm going to put some cheap 45K tires (175/65) from Walmart for $45 and see how they work first. My next option would be to get slightly wider rims with the 175/65s.

For the record my local Mitsubishi dealer has been completely worthless on this topic. They don't even know what brand of tires they have for the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is annoying. I called Mitsubishi's main service number and they could not give me any technical info on my wheels like the offset or width. They told me there's no way to find out that kind of info. Idiots.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    This is annoying. I called Mitsubishi's main service number and they could not give me any technical info on my wheels like the offset or width. They told me there's no way to find out that kind of info. Idiots.
    I remember reading somewhere what the offset and width was but I don't remember where it was. I'll look for it.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I remember reading somewhere what the offset and width was but I don't remember where it was. I'll look for it.
    According to this it's 4.5" and 46mm. I just wish I could get it officially from the dealer.

http://www.wheel-size.com/size/mitsubishi/mirage/2014/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I went back and forth between the stock steelies/EnaSaves and my Civic VX wheels (13x5) with 175/70/13 General Altimax RT43 tires. Complete night and day difference. I wanted to keep the EnaSaves because they really did great for low rolling resistance, but when I turn a corner, they feel like they're going to roll out from under the rim. Ended up selling them (probably too cheap, should have asked for more), since I was vocally complaining every time I drove with them. Sometime I'll pick up some 13x5 steelies for snow tires.

The EnaSaves did have a treadwear rating of 340.
    Last edited by Cani Lupine; 01-29-2015 at 01:23 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Here's another newer review of the RT43 from Tire Rack a month ago . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPZf9G7xoRw and http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=195 . This is the first test results , http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=178 and http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=178 . Have these on the '13 Fit and do well on packed snow , slush and the partial ice of the winding town road . Did some stops on the part ice / packed snow and came to a straight stop with the help of A.B.S.. They do pick up many stones and produce plenty of noise up in the tire wells . More than the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60s on the other FIT . The benefit of this is the 43s' deter tailgaters due to the stones collected in the tread .
    Last edited by cinder; 01-29-2015 at 04:28 AM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Generally, increasing tire pressure will give you longer tread life. Steel belted radial tires won't really balloon out in the tread because the steel holds it flat. Unless you had issues with your first set of tires and uneven wear in the center, I'd suggest a higher pressure.

I run the tires on my cars at 50 psi, and I haven't ever had issues with the centers wearing out.
    I have lowered my tire pressure. I ran for a while on 3.0 bar (43.5 psi) OMG it feels like am driving an old wooden wheels! It's just not comfortable and i even scared the wheels gonna blow anytime I hit a speed bump (which is a lot in a city).
    Am back to 2.4 bar (35 psi) and am just totally fine with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    I went back and forth between the stock steelies/EnaSaves and my Civic VX wheels (13x5) with 175/70/13 General Altimax RT43 tires. Complete night and day difference. I wanted to keep the EnaSaves because they really did great for low rolling resistance, but when I turn a corner, they feel like they're going to roll out from under the rim. Ended up selling them (probably too cheap, should have asked for more), since I was vocally complaining every time I drove with them. Sometime I'll pick up some 13x5 steelies for snow tires.

The EnaSaves did have a treadwear rating of 340.
    Also the Enasaves have no tread warranty so in a way that's good news. I'm hoping that explains the rapid tread wear. Basically the only stock option (165/65 R14) in the US is the Enasave and it has no tread warranty and it costs 3 times what it should. So it's a no brainer to switch to an alternative. I found some 14X5 alloy wheels on tire rack for $92 each. The offset was only 1 mm off the stock (45mm vs stock 46mm) so it seems like a good match. I was all set to buy them but then I read something about needing to get the TPMS sensors installed on the new wheels so I decided just to try some 175/65 R14s on my existing 4.5" wheels for now.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

So to summarize my two options are so far:

175/65 R14s on my existing steel 4.5" wheel

175/65 R14s on an alloy 14X5" wheel

Thanks for all the info! I've learned 10 times more on this site than from the dealer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OH! Thank you for reminding me. When I swapped rims, I had to look all around for the proper valve stems to go with the OEM sensors. They turned out to be Dill VS90 rubber valve stems. Took me a while to hunt down a part number, and ended up paying $4 more each than I needed to from another vendor. Here's the best price: http://www.carquest.com/webapp/wcs/s...4611?acesApp=1

Absolutely everywhere I looked listed the wrong parts when searching by vehicle, and I have no idea why. VS90 is the part number for these valve stems:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (01-30-2015),davidricardo86 (02-23-2015),DemiRage (01-30-2015),Madison320 (02-02-2015)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    2015 Mirage in Holland comes with TPMS. my 2013 model don't have it. I want TPMS which shows me the exact pressure in the tires all the time instead of a warning lamp

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)