Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: U.S. debut - 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage @ New York auto show: details, photos, specs

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 699 Posts
    Actually there are quite a few realistic ecomod suggestions in this forum.
    For example, the first that comes to mind is how to adjust camber and toe. Mine is adjusted neutral, saves fuel.
    Of course tyres are inflated to max, and are the original 165mm narrow size. A 175 width will increase roll resistance by approx. 4%.
    Then there is an ecomod for reducing the excessive amount of fuel injected during warm-up.

You could take your time and have a good look, but most eco-mods are unfortunately not labeled as such.

And yes, it was different years ago in the TeamSwift forum, but unfortunately that database is gone. Maybe MetroMPG could tell us something about that. There is a section in Metro's Ecomodder forum about how to adjust the nut sitting at the wheel. That usually makes the biggest difference.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Actually there are quite a few realistic ecomod suggestions in this forum.
    For example, the first that comes to mind is how to adjust camber and toe. Mine is adjusted neutral, saves fueln
    foama - I was taught that for optimal toe settings, OEMs set toe at some very small negative amount. Because as the car begins rolling, all the associated dynamic drag pulls the suspension back, basically pulls the "slop" out of the suspension, and pulls it back to neutral toe. So setting it at neutral toe would achieve some small amount of positive toe whilst rolling. Which would very slightly increase drag and wear. I'm going to take a look here on the forums and see what you're talking about regarding camber, as I don't remember ever seeing anything about it here on the forums.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 699 Posts

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Jump ahead 10 years, & we are discussing the end of the Mirage in America.

https://www.motor1.com/news/719951/m...nivan-america/

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Andddddd...I strongly suspect if Mitsubishi had spent an extra $100 to upgrade the interior cabin materials the Mirage would be so much more highly rated and recommended.

Imagine the sales figures if the Mirage had a cabin quality similar to a Corolla or perhaps a Fit. Demurro would have been slobbering all over the car telling every one to buy one. Don't say Mits couldn't have done it. The best kept secret in the world is the real cost to build a vehicle. The suspicion is anywhere from 30-60% of the retail cost. The margin is there.

If I didn't know better I would suspect the companies collude as to who gets to produce what. There is no direct competitor to the
    Porsche 911 line, the most profitable auto in the world. It had free rein as the King of profit close to 25 years now so why has no other company elected to compete with it. I suspect Tesla may be the real new king of profit as the primary cost of those cars are the batteries. and since Tesla is now producing their own batteries I am sure the cost is minimal, especialy as they get $BH worth of grants and tax breaks to build a factory. Ooops I am going sideways.

Anyhow, the 911 line is now 60 years and there's no reason an econp car could not survive that long. The Bug had a 40 year run in NA. Look at the age of the Corolla, the Civic, the Jokestang, F150. etc. Many of those cars made subtle upgrades over the years and did well. The Bug, AFAIK, never had a padded dash so talk about a frugal run.

Mits is throwing away any goodwill and brand loyalty they built after a decade. This is the second time Mits has walked away from a segment of a market they could have owned. Consumers have a hard time trusting companies that leave them in a lurch. Will I buy one of their MASSIVE suv body vehicles because the Mirage is gone? not a chance. What will I buy?

Something used that takes any 1st sale profit out of the chain.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 05-28-2024 at 08:36 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Will I buy one of their MASSIVE suv body vehicles because the Mirage is gone? not a chance. What will I buy?
    An even bigger, more MASSIVE motorhome lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Andddddd...I strongly suspect if Mitsubishi had spent an extra $100 to upgrade the interior cabin materials the Mirage would be so much more highly rated and recommended.

Imagine the sales figures if the Mirage had a cabin quality similar to a Corolla or perhaps a Fit. Demurro would have been slobbering all over the car telling every one to buy one. Don't say Mits couldn't have done it. The best kept secret in the world is the real cost to build a vehicle. The suspicion is anywhere from 30-60% of the retail cost. The margin is there.

If I didn't know better I would suspect the companies collude as to who gets to produce what. There is no direct competitor to the
    Porsche 911 line, the most profitable auto in the world. It had free rein as the King of profit close to 25 years now so why has no other company elected to compete with it. I suspect Tesla may be the real new king of profit as the primary cost of those cars are the batteries. and since Tesla is now producing their own batteries I am sure the cost is minimal, especialy as they get $BH worth of grants and tax breaks to build a factory. Ooops I am going sideways.

Anyhow, the 911 line is now 60 years and there's no reason an econp car could not survive that long. The Bug had a 40 year run in NA. Look at the age of the Corolla, the Civic, the Jokestang, F150. etc. Many of those cars made subtle upgrades over the years and did well. The Bug, AFAIK, never had a padded dash so talk about a frugal run.

Mits is throwing away any goodwill and brand loyalty they built after a decade. This is the second time Mits has walked away from a segment of a market they could have owned. Consumers have a hard time trusting companies that leave them in a lurch. Will I buy one of their MASSIVE suv body vehicles because the Mirage is gone? not a chance. What will I buy?

Something used that takes any 1st sale profit out of the chain.
    I actually like the interior. It has a simple charm to it and 6 cupholders! The mitsubishi entertainment system in mine is surprisingly responsive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    I actually like the interior. It has a simple charm to it and 6 cupholders! The mitsubishi entertainment system in mine is surprisingly responsive.
    I agree. The interior doesn't bother me in the least. I would change the electric power steering, add a bit stiffer suspension, & have a rear seat that flips out of the way & leaves a flat floor space. Other than that, it's perfect!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think the interior is fine as well but in comparison with the Micra/Spark/Versa/Fiesta it does come off as second rate quality considering those cars were price comparable with the Mirage. What does the consumer see 99% of the time they are driving? The interior.

I find the door elbow rests were too hard and I used some spirit glue and medium density foam padding to fix it. It has been fine since. And I can't wait to find the right RV. I have come close.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by talldino View Post
    03-29-2013, 03:01 PM That's easy to explain: for the US version they removed the ugly reversing camera from the back of the car!
    This quote is hilariously funny, and did not age well, lol (*See time/date stamp haha!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tommyptr For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-31-2024)