Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I completely regret buying the Mirage! Chose the wrong transmission.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    1) First of all if you wish to save the environment, then you should not buy gas powered motor vehicle.
    2) Little commute is not as Eco-friendly as you think it is because you make more cold starts. During the cold starts unburned gas goes directly to motor oil; therefore, causing the oil to lose its properties faster. According to the factory recommendation you still must change oil at least every 6 months that means 70 km/week x 26 weeks = 1820 km. Compare it to 10,000 km in normal use.
    3) If you think by burning less fuel you are not harming environment, then you are not exactly right. Let me compare the honda civic from the 80's and the current one. When that old civic was new it had better mpg than current one. The current one drives better, much more safer, more comfortable, and has better features and we pay for having a less efficient car.
    However, the current Civic is more Eco-friendly than the old one because of it has better neutralizing exhaust gases. For another example, if you decide to commit suicide with the latest model of a car with its engine on, parked in closed garage, you'll die not of the toxic exhaust gases, you'll die due to lack of the oxygen. And you'll probably not die because the engine will not work without enough oxygen anyway. That means your new Mitsubishi Mirage is much more Eco-friendly than your old Geo Metro, even if the Mirage burns more gas.
    5) More people buy the Mitsubishi Mirage due to its fuel efficiency. Compare it to the Chevy Suburban, the Mirage uses lot less fuel, that means it spends lot less money. Making much less harm to the environment by driving the Mirage is a huge bonus.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mikhail For This Useful Post:

BostonJellyBean (11-27-2016),Eggman (02-23-2016)

Banned
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    1) First of all if you wish to save the environment, then you should not buy gas powered motor vehicle.
    2) Little commute is not as Eco-friendly as you think it is because you make more cold starts. During the cold starts unburned gas goes directly to motor oil; therefore, causing the oil to lose its properties faster. According to the factory recommendation you still must change oil at least every 6 months that means 70 km/week x 26 weeks = 1820 km. Compare it to 10,000 km in normal use.
    3) If you think by burning less fuel you are not harming environment, then you are not exactly right. Let me compare the honda civic from the 80's and the current one. When that old civic was new it had better mpg than current one. The current one drives better, much more safer, more comfortable, and has better features and we pay for having a less efficient car.
    However, the current Civic is more Eco-friendly than the old one because of it has better neutralizing exhaust gases. For another example, if you decide to commit suicide with the latest model of a car with its engine on, parked in closed garage, you'll die not of the toxic exhaust gases, you'll die due to lack of the oxygen. And you'll probably not die because the engine will not work without enough oxygen anyway. That means your new Mitsubishi Mirage is much more Eco-friendly than your old Geo Metro, even if the Mirage burns more gas.
    5) More people buy the Mitsubishi Mirage due to its fuel efficiency. Compare it to the Chevy Suburban, the Mirage uses lot less fuel, that means it spends lot less money. Making much less harm to the environment by driving the Mirage is a huge bonus.
    Again, I don't need to explain myself to you and it's none of your business why I want a fuel efficient gasoline powered car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Again, the Mitsubishi Mirage is the most fuel efficient gas powered production car with highest Eco-friendly rating. And you need to explain yourself what else you want. And don't post your BS if you don't want other people's opinion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikhail For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-24-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For real. I see people are stating better gas MPG on Manual VS CVT. I have a hard time believing that too. The CVT < yess is slower but the MPGs is better. The Manual is fun as hell for a lil 1.2L can be. But for 35mpg Plus beating the piss out of it is abouslty awsome. Also the Under $11.00 fill ups are SWEETTT!!!!
    There is no I in team. But there is a PU in group and you guys stink.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't think you find many who bought Mirage to save the planet.

It is inexpensive frugal well packaged basic means of transportation. Get bicycle if you want to reduce your CO2 footprint.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (06-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontee View Post
    For real. I see people are stating better gas MPG on Manual VS CVT. I have a hard time believing that too. The CVT < yess is slower but the MPGs is better. The Manual is fun as hell for a lil 1.2L can be. But for 35mpg Plus beating the piss out of it is abouslty awsome. Also the Under $11.00 fill ups are SWEETTT!!!!
    I believe it. You also explain it yourself in the next thing you said CVT slower! They have the same engine.If one is slower that is because that one is being dragged down by something compared to the other one (manual). Like a bunch of hydraulic passages,pump to create pressure,clutches,pistons and all the associated gears,chains bearings to make it all work.

One obvious proof of inefficiency of a CVT compared to a manual is the trans fluid cooler's presence behind the lower grille.

It takes a lot of energy to create enough heat that needs to be kept under control with a cooler! All that heat is waste!
    And that is fueled by the...fuel in the tank.

The only edge that the CVT has over the manual is high speed driving on long trips where the gear ratio favors the CVT.
    Anywhere else the manual is unbeatable for efficiency.

Just walked out to my manual mirage and took some pics.

Miles sofar on this tank of fuel:

Name:  fuel 102.6.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  87.3 KB

Trip computer thinks there is still 600 miles range left:

Name:  fuel 600.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  86.0 KB

Tank average sofar! (will go down some)
    Note it's trip B which gets reset at every fillup.

Name:  fuel 80.1.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  26.7 KB

And earlier in this tank with about 25 miles in, the trip computer thought there is 810 miles of range left:

Name:  fuel 810.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  41.6 KB

Yes I hypermile the snot out of this thing but if it was a CVT I'm pretty sure I could not get these numbers!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-23-2016),fc321 (02-24-2016)

Thanks
    What kind of mileage did your automatic Metro get? Oh it was not an auto? I wonder why?

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure why CVT would be slower, conservative programming? lower final drive ratio? Not pressing pedal all the way down?

Given 0.5sec gear shifts manual should be inherently slower on 0-60 time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

manual is more efficient

Quote Originally Posted by Dontee View Post
    I see people are stating better gas MPG on Manual VS CVT. I have a hard time believing that too. The CVT < yess is slower but the MPGs is better.
    Nope. The EPA testing method penalizes manual transmissions. But in real world driving, the manual will beat the CVT in the hands of a motivated driver.

Look at our fuel log for proof. Despite its lower EPA rating, after over 1.2 million kilometers of data the manual is doing better than the CVT.

The Mirage's CVT is really good, but common sense and a manual is even better if MPG is your goal, despite what the EPA says.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (02-23-2016),Eggman (02-23-2016),fc321 (02-24-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    nice mileage 3DPlane!

i'll always love manual, but my CVT is comfortable to drive. like the OP, I am stuck in stop and go Vancouver traffic all of the time (extremely poor road planning in our city), and the CVT lets me sit there with one arm out the window and allows a little more foot relaxation.
    I'm looking forward to the spring and warmer weather mileage boost which should be coming soon! it's been a year since I bought my car and other than the rear alignment "issue", i'm extremely happy so far.

2014 White SE with CVT

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Kapitan For This Useful Post:

3dplane (02-23-2016),MetroMPG (02-23-2016)