Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: LED headlights!

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    After two weeks or so of LED use I must say they are amazing. I really prefer the cool white light, it seems to increase the contrast greatly. You can have gobs and gobs of watts but without contrast they mean nothing.

The pattern of my LEDs is perfect. I have incredible high beam range and amazing full road low beam coverage. I couldn't be happier.
    Can you post a pic of the pattern?.. Do you use a projector?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    give me a day or so to scrouge up some pictures. I don't use a projector, just the bulbs in the housing.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

bosbik (12-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    After two weeks or so of LED use I must say they are amazing. I really prefer the cool white light, it seems to increase the contrast greatly. You can have gobs and gobs of watts but without contrast they mean nothing.

The pattern of my LEDs is perfect. I have incredible high beam range and amazing full road low beam coverage. I couldn't be happier.
    Good for you then.

I dislike all the white headlights on the road. Even if they are properly aimed. I find them blinding as an oncoming driver, which hinders my ability to see. Even SUVs coming up behind me give a glare that makes it tough to drive.

I don't care for them. As much as I like LEDs, I'd rather they have the color of halogens.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Good for you then.

I dislike all the white headlights on the road. Even if they are properly aimed. I find them blinding as an oncoming driver, which hinders my ability to see. Even SUVs coming up behind me give a glare that makes it tough to drive.

I don't care for them. As much as I like LEDs, I'd rather they have the color of halogens.
    My first LED H4's was the cool white type .. I hated it when it rains. I looked for a better one.. I'm using the warm white model which has about the same color as halogens. It's about 3 years old now.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Does MPH charge fees for access?

Out of curiosity, I tried to browse that forum but was unable to see much.
    No charges .. but you need to register to access the web content. You have to be classified as Official Member to see full content. If your status is "LURKER", however, your access to some contents is limited.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    My first LED H4's was the cool white type .. I hated it when it rains. I looked for a better one.. I'm using the warm white model which has about the same color as halogens. It's about 3 years old now.
    Are you using 5000k or 4300k?
    Couls you post a pic of the beam pattern if its not too much to ask amd what brand of led bulbs are you using?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Good for you then.

It's so easy to determine which cars have LEDs these days. You can't miss the brilliant white. I remember when halogens first appeared and were so superior to the sealed beam incandescent they were replacing. I also remember so many people complaining of being blinded by halogen equipped cars and complaining about the color! Lol! i recall more than a few jurisdictions outlawed anything but sealed beams.

It's the same thing all over again. A new technology has emerged and it is going to make obsolete the existing halogen lighting systems and they will disappear. And there's nothing that can stop it. Today I noticed my LEDs actually light up road signs in the daylight!!! That truly surprised me.

You can't beat the dim yellow glow of a low powered incandescent filament shining through glass 1/2" thick!!! Lol. J/k.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Today I noticed my LEDs actually light up road signs in the daylight!!! That truly surprised me.
    That's not surprising considering many road signs are made with some impressive retroreflective material.

Why not get HIDs? I hear they are even brighter than LED.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's not surprising considering many road signs are made with some impressive retroreflective material.

Why not get HIDs? I hear they are even brighter than LED.
    The short answer? LEDs simply dropped in as direct replacements for halogens. It couldn't be easier or any more cost effective for the performance I gained.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bosbik View Post
    Are you using 5000k or 4300k?
    Couls you post a pic of the beam pattern if its not too much to ask amd what brand of led bulbs are you using?
    This is the P6 LED that I'm using.. I purchased the 4300K though I personally think our eyes cannot discern the difference vs. 5000K

LED chip: Luxeon MZ

URL:
    P6 New Upgrade H4 LED Headlight Bulbs

Backread here
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post51403

sample video from dash cam - under light rain condition (video converted to .gif so quality is somewhat degraded). I'm on VKOOL VK70 tint
    https://i.imgur.com/yLpOtSW.gif

4300K H4 LEDs are somewhat difficult to find. I read somewhere that the cool white LEDs are cheap to produce, so, that explains why the warm white (4300K) version is priced 2-3x higher than the cool whites. So, the market trend will be towards the cool whites - they are more profitable to sell.

If my P6 becomes busted, I will replace it w/ the warm white version even if it is pricier. I'll never go w/ the 6000K.

A P6 that uses the ZES chip
    P6 45W H4