View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    http://dnr.louisiana.gov/assets/TAD/...P/auto/e/e.htm

For those who may need more understanding of alignment and it's effect on fuel economy, to say nothing of directional stability.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (08-21-2015),El Kapitan (08-18-2015),R01k (08-17-2015)

Thanks
    Got to the dealership for my 9AM appointment for state inspection, oil and filter and alignment. Service writer was very nice and within a minute and 30 seconds I knew we were on the same track. The alignment check confirmed it was bad enough to justify a replacement axle. Total time at dealership 1 hour 40 minutes and I got a copy of the alignment specs.

This dealership has replaced axles and the car still failed to align in specs. In Va after the second attempt you get into lemon law, 3 strikes and they get the car back. Since there is the potential for no benefit from a replacement, mine will be replaced when Mitsubishi can guarantee the rear alignment will be in specs ON THE FIRST REPLACEMENT.

There was no debate or argument whatsoever. I complimented the dealerships owner on her employee's professionalism and when Mitsubishi has the new design, I will get a replacement. Maybe not the answer some here may want to read about but I'm satisfied with this phase of the process. My bill $0.

Got there just over 60 MPG indicated, round trip a little under 59 MPG overall. Filled up in Fredericksburg for $2.059.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

Basic (08-21-2015),Daox (08-21-2015),fifteenwindow (08-20-2015),MetroMPG (08-20-2015),R01k (08-20-2015)

That sounds good all around, old mechanic. Thanks for the update.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    ...mine will be replaced when Mitsubishi can guarantee the rear alignment will be in specs ON THE FIRST REPLACEMENT.
    Did you hear something related to whether Mitsubishi is in fact redesigning the axle?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    Yes. They had replaced axles that still would not align properly. The Va lemon law is 3 tries to fix then they get the car back. A friend had a CRV that kept getting a check engine light for evaporative emissions system leak. He made them take it back and got a new one. They spent $6k in warranty repairs fixing it after he gave it back. The service writer told me Mitsubishi (not the dealership) would contact me when they had the new design axle. I'd bet there is an adjustment capability like the majority of similar designs.

regards
    mech

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

R01k (08-20-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If one of the symptoms of the axle being out of alignment is excessive tire wear, I wonder if they would also replace the tires, depending on how long it took them to get an axle installed that is within alignment? I wonder if they would also reimburse for the cost of the alignment itself?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    I think they have replaced tires on some cars. As far as the $40 I paid for the alignment locally, my wife asked the same question, being the frugal person she is. I'll swallow that bill as long as they get my car straight within a reasonable amount of time. Hopefully they can install the replacement and check the alignment again to confirm it is right.

They could argue that I SHOULD have taken advantage of the 12 month adjustment period. I was more concerned about the alignment contributing to an "incident" and the left front toe was adjusted locally.

Call me a pushover for not pursuing reimbursement, but in my opinion it indicates a focus on problem solving versus punitive retribution. Most of the people I know in the industry will tell you you might be shocked by how many new cars are not aligned properly when they are sold. My experience has been about 40% and most buyers don't realize it until they see tire wear issues.

regards
    mech

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    If one of the symptoms of the axle being out of alignment is excessive tire wear, I wonder if they would also replace the tires, depending on how long it took them to get an axle installed that is within alignment? I wonder if they would also reimburse for the cost of the alignment itself?

at 23 000 kms I got them to replace both of my rear tires. they obviously know about the axle issue because they didn't argue it. i'll go back there again if I need to but hopefully the new axle is out by the time I hit 40k.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    OM

your stat about 40% being out of alignment is a real eye opener. i'll be buying a new truck soon and i'm going to have the alignment checked right away. I've never bothered doing that in the past.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Thanks
    Here is a scenario. Your Mirage is involved in a minor accident involving the rear axle with one axle-wheel definitely damaged and requiring replacement.

How can any repair shop fix the car and have it aligned within the published specifications, if the same thing can not be accomplished with a car that has never been damaged. I pity that poor shop owner who is just trying to make a decent living and provide their customer with a properly repaired vehicle.

Under those conditions, I know what I would do. Use my abilities to get the car aligned. I need a floor jack and a tie down in the floor of my shop.

regards
    mech