View Poll Results: What's the status of your Mirage's rear axle?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; new axle within specs

8 19.05%
  • Rear axle replaced under warranty; alignment is still off

4 9.52%
  • Waiting for warranty replacement axle

9 21.43%
  • Axle temporarily or permanently aligned with DIY fix

4 9.52%
  • Rear alignment inspected & deemed within specs by dealer

19 45.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 71 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Misaligned? (UPDATE: some rear axles out of spec; warranty replacement)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I hope this was fixed on the 2017. I don't expect them to announce that it was corrected, because then they would have to admit that there was a problem to start with.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 53.4 mpg (US) ... 22.7 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRagland View Post
    For those wondering what's the easiest way to do this yourself:

Get 2 3.0 US FOOT sections of 1/4inch diameter galvanized steel cable with a Working Load Limit of 1600 pounds or more.
    Get 12 1/4inch clamps
    Get one heavy duty 1/4 inch turnbuckle with both closed eye holes rated for 1800 lbs (varies, some will be rated lower)

Total cost at Lowes: $20
    Total cost at Home Depot: $16

Then string each of your 3 foot sections through the hole that runs top-to-bottom in the rear axle just behind where the rear axle stub is welded; behind and forward slightly of the lower spring perches. This is a much stronger area, and will place the load in a downward - inward position, reducing camber and toe-in. This also gives the steel cable a much larger and stronger area of surface to contact, to prevent bending, and bending the steel cable beyond it's recommended angles.

Then clamp. Remember, proper steel cable clamping is 3 clamps per dead-end. Always put the live-end (the part of the cable holding tension) in the bottom of the clamps, then loop the dead ends over-top of that position. Then clamp shut with about 35-lb.ft of torque. Too much may actually damage the cable.

You will need to start with your turnbuckle completely out, as the cable will take up slack until you start reaching about 150 Lbs of tension.

For a toe-in of 0.40 it took ~380 lbs of tension to correct to 0.17 and ~470 lbs of tension to bring it to 0.05

You need a robust system as during typical driving, you will place loads upwards of 700 lbs on your steel cable around sharp turns, and large bumps, as the twist-beam axle will attempt to "twist" or deform, and your cables will attempt to prevent that from happening.

Ironically, handling is actually greatly improved with this cable system, as it stiffens up the rear axle quite a bit.

Cables can be deadly, always practice proper rigging techniques.
    Properly inspect your cables before every drive.
    I am not responsible for anything that occurs directly and/or indirectly as a result of this technique described above. You assume all risks. Be safe.

I have a picture showing what I did, I'll add more as I get time to.
    Attachment 4717

-B

I'm considering doing this mod myself. My rear is only out about 0.21 on each side almost even for total toe of 0.42. The only thing I'm concerned about is the lack of "give" when one wheel ends up higher than the other. That puts alot of tension on the whole setup. I was thinking about finding an extension spring using your tension findings and incorporating it into the rig. I have looking into what springs might work and have found drawbar springs in the link below and snow plow trip springs although I can't find the tension rating on any of them. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

I was thinking something like this...
    https://www.centuryspring.com/Store/...kNumber=DB7015
    Last edited by obrother; 03-09-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    Have not tried 4 adults but when I pull down on the rear of the car,both toe and camber gets worse.
    Then why not lift the rear? I'm thinking spring spacers here.

Amazon.com: Superior 18-1901 Donut Style Coil Spring Spacer

I wonder if this would help alleviate two problems:
    1. Excessive toe-in
    2. Handling

Shouldn't be too expensive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Then why not lift the rear? I'm thinking spring spacers here.

Amazon.com: Superior 18-1901 Donut Style Coil Spring Spacer

I wonder if this would help alleviate two problems:
    1. Excessive toe-in
    2. Handling

Shouldn't be too expensive.
    I have those in the rear springs of my mirage. All it does for me is make the rear suspension bottoming out be less painful. I normally carry a lot of things in the hatch of my mirage so it tends to bottom out quit easily.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I have those in the rear springs of my mirage. All it does for me is make the rear suspension bottoming out be less painful. I normally carry a lot of things in the hatch of my mirage so it tends to bottom out quit easily.
    Cool - the voice of experience. I was hoping to get this kind of feedback.

I'm going to guess that every now and then you are driving unloaded. In your view, how have your spacers affected handling and maybe even the alignment?

It's gotta be good for either +10 horsepower or +10 mpg.

Last edited by Eggman; 03-10-2016 at 08:24 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    Another tire rated well by C.R. is the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring . That has a B.T.A. rating for rolling resistance along with good traction , ride , and low noise .
    I bought a set of these (for our 2009 Ford Fusion) and they are a fine tire. Made in Tupelo, MS.

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/arti...-touring-tires

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So this is a common problem? My steering seems to be fine. I don't even have to hold the wheel and it goes straight smh.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    So this is a common problem? My steering seems to be fine. I don't even have to hold the wheel and it goes straight smh.
    Mine's the same way. Tracks straight and the wheel is centered and I can let go and it doesn't wander.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Name:  f849aa25-f60b-4647-a711-5ae6320e3c70.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  28.3 KB

Just got checked today. I'm a little out of spec, but my steering is straight.

Anyone know how a warranty claim would be made since I bought from CarMax? I still have some of Mitsubishi's transferable warranty as I'm only at ~32,000 miles. Would I just talk to Mitsubishi directly or would I still try to get help from a dealer? Not sure how it works.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ajal87 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-20-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Call Mitsubishi, I'd be curious to see how they handle this. I think the powertrain warranty is the only warranty that might be available on a used purchase, and I don't think the rear axle is included in that. But, call to find out.