Thread: 6A10 Swap?

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks

6A10 Swap?

I've been thinking about it.
    I've been trying to find pics of the things to see comparisons and whatnot. But the only major difference I see is it's 180 degrees opposed...

The 6A10 is a tiny tiny 1.6 V6, it looks like it could fit this car without much problems/upsetting the balance of it...
    But there's no engine weight things to look at, no nothing that could give me a clear lead if this was a good idea. I mean with money you can swap in anything, but I'd like it if the car handled well whilst roaring with that little V6.

I've got an option here, I'm about to pick one of these Mirage up, either the 2015 or a 2002 Mirage. I know the '02 can swap in a V6 easy, for the '15 though, what's your opinion on this? It's like, the only thing keeping me from buying it.

I mean I saw another swap in here for a 2.0L, wouldn't that technically be much heavier?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the little 6 would be heavier from the bigger block, but I'd have to do some research to make sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

YiffyAki (04-03-2015)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    I think the little 6 would be heavier from the bigger block, but I'd have to do some research to make sure.
    I'm trying to figure that out... The block doesn't look bigger at all though... It looks dramatically smaller... Like it looks barely a couple inches bigger than the engine already in the Mirage...

Any help would be greatly appreciated though. ><

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The engine block for the 6A10 isn't much longer than the 3A92 used in the current model mirage, BUT it is wider - and since the engine is in sideways, this will be a problem. Close inspection of my 2015 Mirage shows that the hood, and the space under it, is big enough for a 1.2 3 banger - the width of a 60 degree V6, even a small one, makes installation in a 2014/2015 mirage a bit of a project. You'd have to move the firewall (And everything behind it - heater core, evaporator, wiring) and the radiator.

I'd use the earlier model mirage for this swap for a couple reasons - first of all, they're a little bigger. Second, do you really want to drop the money on a new car, just to put the torch and sawzall to it?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

YiffyAki (04-02-2015)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Weight wise, the size of the block is a factor but perhaps more significant is the fact that the 3A92 uses an alloy block and head, whereas the 6A1x series of engines have alloy heads but iron blocks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Teasmade For This Useful Post:

YiffyAki (04-02-2015)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    The engine block for the 6A10 isn't much longer than the 3A92 used in the current model mirage, BUT it is wider - and since the engine is in sideways, this will be a problem. Close inspection of my 2015 Mirage shows that the hood, and the space under it, is big enough for a 1.2 3 banger - the width of a 60 degree V6, even a small one, makes installation in a 2014/2015 mirage a bit of a project. You'd have to move the firewall (And everything behind it - heater core, evaporator, wiring) and the radiator.

I'd use the earlier model mirage for this swap for a couple reasons - first of all, they're a little bigger. Second, do you really want to drop the money on a new car, just to put the torch and sawzall to it?
    The buying a new car to take a torch to it isn't much of a problem, yes I would. I'd probably pick up the 2013 I guess if I can get it for a couple grand cheaper.

Now as for moving everything back... Well, that does sound like a bit of a droning project. But seeing that massive 2.0 fit in thing in there made me think I could possibly plug in a 1.6 V6. But I do see your point.

How about a 4G? The 4G92 more specifically. Hmm?

Edit: This is what made me think it could fit. It looks so so tiny. Name:  V6Engine.jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  48.8 KB

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YiffyAki View Post
    The buying a new car to take a torch to it isn't much of a problem, yes I would. I'd probably pick up the 2013 I guess if I can get it for a couple grand cheaper.

Now as for moving everything back... Well, that does sound like a bit of a droning project. But seeing that massive 2.0 fit in thing in there made me think I could possibly plug in a 1.6 V6. But I do see your point.

How about a 4G? The 4G92 more specifically. Hmm?

Edit: This is what made me think it could fit. It looks so so tiny. Name:  V6Engine.jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  48.8 KB
    The 4G92 will still be about the same deal as doing a 4G63 swap, in all actuality. It's still too wide. A bike motor would be perfect or just build the 3-banger. Any other motor will increase the front end weight ratio, but that can be compensated to a degree in suspension and chassis settings, as well as aero tuning. Keep that in mind.

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RalliArt_Mirage View Post
    The 4G92 will still be about the same deal as doing a 4G63 swap, in all actuality. It's still too wide. A bike motor would be perfect or just build the 3-banger. Any other motor will increase the front end weight ratio, but that can be compensated to a degree in suspension and chassis settings, as well as aero tuning. Keep that in mind.
    Bike motor is another good idea actually. I didn't think of that. But it'd require a loooot of custom fabbing...

Also the other reason why I didn't think the 3 banger was a good idea is because it's too small, tbh, I'd be surprised if it could move 15PSI without having insane turbo lag. I'm not looking to make a drag queen, I was sorta hoping I could make it a track car.