Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Chevrolet Spark (first test drive review)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I think the new revised Spark has made some improvements and at the base level is a pretty good value. What only time will tell though is powertrain reliability. The Spark historically has had a few issues with munching the timing belt with unfortunate results since the Spark is a interference engine. GM also downgraded the powertrain warranty for the 2016's to 60k. Be interesting to see how mileage is overall.
    Spark has a timing chain, not belt.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I see what you mean. Here is a link to fueleconomy.gov comparing the Mirage v. Spark with manual transmissions.

Vehicles 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage
    Attachment 6718
    1.2 L, 3 cyl, Manual 5-spd
    MSRP: $12,995 - $15,395
    2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
    Attachment 6719
    1.2 L, 3 cyl, Manual 5-spd
    MSRP: $12,995 - $16,495
    2015 Chevrolet Spark
    Attachment 6720
    1.2 L, 4 cyl, Manual 5-spd
    MSRP: $12,270 - $16,535
    2016 Chevrolet Spark
    Attachment 6721
    1.4 L, 4 cyl, Manual 5-spd
    MSRP: $12,660 - $17,285
    EPA Fuel Economy Regular Gasoline
    37 mpg combined
    34 mpg city
    42 mph highway
    Regular Gasoline
    36 mpg combined
    33 mpg city
    41 mph highway
    Regular Gasoline
    34 mpg combined
    31 mpg city
    39 mph highway
    Regular Gasoline
    34 mpg combined
    30 mpg city
    41 mph highway
    The fact that the Spark even gets close to the mpg of the Mirage is a minor miracle, why? The Spark has 4 cyl the Mirage 3cyl. Spark has 25% more horsepower than the Mirage and weighs a couple hundred pounds more. Yet the mpg numbers are close. I am a Mitsubishi fan having owned: Galant, Lancer GT, and an EVO but this new Spark is a HUGE improvement and a game changer..... It also got the highest safety ratings in its class and starts at just $13,535 for a base 5 speed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IwantaMirage For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-24-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    The fact that the Spark even gets close to the mpg of the Mirage is a minor miracle, why? The Spark has 4 cyl the Mirage 3cyl. Spark has 25% more horsepower than the Mirage and weighs a couple hundred pounds more. Yet the mpg numbers are close. I am a Mitsubishi fan having owned: Galant, Lancer GT, and an EVO but this new Spark is a HUGE improvement and a game changer..... It also got the highest safety ratings in its class and starts at just $13,535 for a base 5 speed.
    As I mentioned above I am not sure 2016 Spark was tested under the same guidelines as 2017 Mirage, and if it didn't it is comparable to 2015, not 2017.

Agree with you, 4cyl are less thermally efficient and have more friction losses. With respect to Spark MPGs weight is the biggest handicap in city MPG. I am curious how they got the HWY to 41, since Mirage has Cd=0.27 and Spark Cd=0.29, and 300lbs handicap. They must have geared it too high, so in top gear it will likely loose to Mirage in acceleration.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    As I mentioned above I am not sure 2016 Spark was tested under the same guidelines as 2017 Mirage, and if it didn't it is comparable to 2015, not 2017.

Agree with you, 4cyl are less thermally efficient and have more friction losses. With respect to Spark MPGs weight is the biggest handicap in city MPG. I am curious how they got the HWY to 41, since Mirage has Cd=0.27 and Spark Cd=0.29, and 300lbs handicap. They must have geared it too high, so in top gear it will likely loose to Mirage in acceleration.
    A base Spark 5 speed weighs 2246 lbs....how much does a base Mirage 5 speed weigh?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    A base Spark 5 speed weighs 2246 lbs....how much does a base Mirage 5 speed weigh?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weight

no idea the accuracy but heres a fairly large applicable list. I've read 19xx elsewhere, too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (07-31-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The new spark looks interesting. If they're selling them for that price, the Mitsubishi dealer locally needs to do some price adjustments. The base 2017 mirage is selling for $15,995 here. For another $1,000 I could get a base Lancer!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    New Spark looks pretty sharp. MUCH better face. Not sure I dig the tail light shape. Interior looks great. Last gen had a nice looking interior, but everything felt very fragile. Not as robust and sturdy feeling as Mirage interior. Comparably optioned out, they both cost about the same. Negligible difference in price. Curious how the CVT in the Spark feels to the Mirage's. I drove a Spark when they first came out with a 4-speed auto. Holy cow it felt much slower than Mirage, even though it has 4cyl and more HP. I assume the switch to a CVT helped. Interested in driving one someday.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drove the manual Spark, it was peppy and had good shifter feel. The handling was secure and bordering on sporty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    @IwantaMirage - After driving the Spark and comparing it to the Mirage, do you still want a Mirage? I've heard (tho not confirmed) that Chevy also offers a lot of incentive money to move the Sparks. Not sure if they offer enough to make it competitive with a discounted Mirage. I sat in a 2016 Spark at a car show and must say, it felt a lot more substantial than our little Mirage. For the same or similar money, if I had my buying decision to do over again, I might have gone with the Spark. A bit more power, solidity and better steering feel might be worth giving up a few MPG. I wonder if Spark significantly quieter than Mirage. I drive in Portland, OR and the aggregate used on the roads makes for some pretty noisy driving at highway speeds.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    @IwantaMirage - After driving the Spark and comparing it to the Mirage, do you still want a Mirage? I've heard (tho not confirmed) that Chevy also offers a lot of incentive money to move the Sparks. Not sure if they offer enough to make it competitive with a discounted Mirage. I sat in a 2016 Spark at a car show and must say, it felt a lot more substantial than our little Mirage. For the same or similar money, if I had my buying decision to do over again, I might have gone with the Spark. A bit more power, solidity and better steering feel might be worth giving up a few MPG. I wonder if Spark significantly quieter than Mirage. I drive in Portland, OR and the aggregate used on the roads makes for some pretty noisy driving at highway speeds.
    Good questions. Yes I still am interested in the Mirage. Yes the Spark is more powerful and handles a little better. It was not all that noisy to me when I drove it, it is definitely quieter than the Mirage. The Chevy engine is new/unproven though as someone else brought up. Chevy dealer network is much stronger, you dont have to drive an hour or more to find a dealer for service. The Mirage seemed roomier to me. Tough call. They had big discounts on some Sparks making them around $9,999 or so for the LS base manual trim....but it has rollup windows and manual door locks...yet it has apple car play android auto and a backup camera standard! Priorities...guess they are trying to attract young people. I want to soon trade my Mini cooper in on one of these: Scion iA, Mirage, Spark, Yaris, Fit manual (nearly impossible to find a Fit manual) I prefer manual transmission over a cvt.