Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car Audio Subs

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticMirage View Post
    !. Quite obviously. Orange isn't a stock item...
    What did you use? In one photo I thought it was wood, but maybe not...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am dying to build a 8" t-line sub box for the trunk.

I saw a video once of a dude running a 6" subwoofer at only 100 watts. Everyone who got into his car claimed 2 10's or 2 12's at around 400-600 watts. That video blew me away. I couldn't even imagine such a design being so useful (if built correctly). I've had enclosed subwoofer boxes, like back in my del sol with a 12" kicker. My s2000 had a ported box with the same kicker sub 12".

Being a huge fan of t-line, I had built one for a 12 pioneer 600 watt rms sub. The box ended up being a bit bigger than what could fit easily. (45x15x18 height, width, depth). Sadly it barely fit in the car (back seat, had to wiggle it in with the front seats moved furthest forward.) I tell you what though, it thumps like mad. The only downside is that I built the box really generically, so the peaks and valleys of the frequency response are a little off, it doesn't really go deep like it should, but right about the FS of the sub, about 20hz or so, its loud, so around 60-90hz was a huge peak in db, which isn't all bad. I ended up putting it in my bedroom for my mini home theater, and movies love 60-90hz range, so it works perfect for my room. And since the bedroom is bigger than a car's interior, the sound waves can expand more, fixing the drop out on the low end i was having, so it plays the deep deep notes no issue.

I want to make an 8" t-line, but I don't know what brand or sub I want to use. Obviously it wont need much power to sound amazing, which is a plus. And I don't need trunk space, so I could potentially go to a 10"..... decisions.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    I am dying to build a 8" t-line sub box for the trunk.

I saw a video once of a dude running a 6" subwoofer at only 100 watts. Everyone who got into his car claimed 2 10's or 2 12's at around 400-600 watts. That video blew me away. I couldn't even imagine such a design being so useful (if built correctly). I've had enclosed subwoofer boxes, like back in my del sol with a 12" kicker. My s2000 had a ported box with the same kicker sub 12".

Being a huge fan of t-line, I had built one for a 12 pioneer 600 watt rms sub. The box ended up being a bit bigger than what could fit easily. (45x15x18 height, width, depth). Sadly it barely fit in the car (back seat, had to wiggle it in with the front seats moved furthest forward.) I tell you what though, it thumps like mad. The only downside is that I built the box really generically, so the peaks and valleys of the frequency response are a little off, it doesn't really go deep like it should, but right about the FS of the sub, about 20hz or so, its loud, so around 60-90hz was a huge peak in db, which isn't all bad. I ended up putting it in my bedroom for my mini home theater, and movies love 60-90hz range, so it works perfect for my room. And since the bedroom is bigger than a car's interior, the sound waves can expand more, fixing the drop out on the low end i was having, so it plays the deep deep notes no issue.

I want to make an 8" t-line, but I don't know what brand or sub I want to use. Obviously it wont need much power to sound amazing, which is a plus. And I don't need trunk space, so I could potentially go to a 10"..... decisions.

That reminds me of a box that I made years ago (YEARS ago) for a new Fosgate Series 1 10" sub. It was a bandpass box, back before bandpass boxes were popular. I purposely built it as a one note wonder. It peaked in the 30-50 hz range and was LOUD! There was a Hyfonics Vulcan (series VII) bridged on the sub pushing 180 watts to it. It would blur your vision and when people heard it they swore it was a pair of 12" subs, or a 15" sub. The box was TINY though. About 1.1 cubic foot total. That poor series one only lasted about 3 months before it tore the surround, popped the dust cap out (it was an inverted dust cap), and it seized the voice coil.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    That poor series one only lasted about 3 months before it tore the surround, popped the dust cap out (it was an inverted dust cap), and it seized the voice coil.
    But could you tell the difference in sound when it let loose??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    But could you tell the difference in sound when it let loose??
    Yeah, it suddenly stopped working and stunk really bad!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-28-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Yeah, it suddenly stopped working and stunk really bad!
    Skunkworks Audio!

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterdeity View Post
    Attachment 5262
    35Hz peak love it <3
    di you repaint the inner part of your rear door panel into black?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    i was wondering...

is it possible to make something similar with the video below with our mirage? under the driver and passenger seat. when the jack is removed from the driver side? since the back seat is impossible for this type of setup.

https://youtu.be/62JWMSPfrj4

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    If I understand this correct and watch the video, you have to use some very small subs, as there will be no place for the feet for the rear passengers..
    Why not make a box for the trunk?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    @uheym

good thinking! haha i didnt thought of that. hmmm i didnt want to use the rear for speakers because i usually use the space at the back. i also saw someone removed the spare tire and used it for his woofer space.