Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Considering a Mirage: how is highway acceleration?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Loved your Post!!! You and I sound a lot alike!! But you worded it like it is the Mirage. If more people read your post they would become mirage owners. I'm the same with you on the CVT that's what I have. I test drove the stick and the engine sounded funny and was loader . And it felt like you had No clutch . So I went with the CVT . And the engine runs real smooth. You just got to learn how to drive a mirage. And once you learn what it can do and what it can't ,You love the car!

hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to debburyl For This Useful Post:

KrautBurner (09-24-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    If you're looking for sports car passing power the Mirage is not your car. But surprising enough when you are rolling along it has a surprising amount of passing capability. Here on the Oregon Coast there are no freeways, just two lane highways. I've had to pass a few locals that insist on drivinh about 40mph in the 55mph zone. No issues passing. I turn off the a/c also, spool the CVT up to about 4000 rpm and go right around them. Have ended up at 75mph before I knew it. Winds will push you around, but no worse than my old metros. There is body lean but in the corners but once it does, it kinda gets firm and doesn't lean anymore. I've been very happy with the CVT and I wanted the stick but once I saw the overdrive ratios on the CVT vs the stick, CVT it was.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

KrautBurner (09-24-2015)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hossanj View Post
    Hello everybody,
    I am a first time poster here and have been looking at buying a mirage as my first new car. I absolutely love the quoted MPG. The one thing that has been worrying me about the negative reviews from blogs and magazines is how the mirage drives on the highway. I live in New Jersey and the highways can be pretty high speed and competitive here. Is it really hard to accelerate and pass cars (in the mirage with a CVT) on the highway like reviews suggest? This has been the one big concern of mine with potentially buying a mirage.
    Accelerating on a highway with CVT means 6000rpm resulting in a decent acceleration.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicki Mirage View Post
    I had a Echo before, I have a CVT in my Miragr and it drives and accelerates just as good as the echo if not better. If this gives you an idea I drove home today at 90MPH for 50 miles or so, no issues at all.
    what kind of Fuel Economy are you getting (at those highway speeds)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If you're looking for sports car passing power the Mirage is not your car. But surprising enough when you are rolling along it has a surprising amount of passing capability. Here on the Oregon Coast there are no freeways, just two lane highways. I've had to pass a few locals that insist on drivinh about 40mph in the 55mph zone. No issues passing. I turn off the a/c also, spool the CVT up to about 4000 rpm and go right around them.

... but once I saw the overdrive ratios on the CVT vs the stick, CVT it was.
    my parents live in Lakeside (just north of Coos Bay/North Bend

the drive from Coos Bay to Reedsport is very similar to my 55 mile (each way) commute (with the big hill south of reedsport)
    what kind of milage do you get

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KrautBurner View Post
    my parents live in Lakeside (just north of Coos Bay/North Bend

the drive from Coos Bay to Reedsport is very similar to my 55 mile (each way) commute (with the big hill south of reedsport)
    what kind of milage do you get
    My regular commute is about the worst case scenario. Only 1 mile each way with a couple of stoplights. If you look at my fuel log I think my average is right around 40 mpg. We drive from Coos Bay to Bandon quite a bit for my wife's medical issues so that is mixed in with my regular commute. At 55-60mph with the hills on the coast I seem to average around 45mpg traveling 25 miles each way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    My regular commute is about the worst case scenario. Only 1 mile each way with a couple of stoplights. If you look at my fuel log I think my average is right around 40 mpg. We drive from Coos Bay to Bandon quite a bit for my wife's medical issues so that is mixed in with my regular commute. At 55-60mph with the hills on the coast I seem to average around 45mpg traveling 25 miles each way.
    Since you're familiar with the local roads here, I can pull that hill south of Reedsport at 60mph no problem. Usually it will rev up to about 4500rpm for a few moments, drop to 4000 and then eventually drop down to the 3000-3300 range until I get to the top then down to 2000 as soon as I crest the top of hill.