Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Control

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question Clutch Control

Q: is it ok to do clutch control on a traffic? or lets say if im on a convoy for a funeral, since it goes slow is ok to use the clutch to move slow?

i ask this because i was in a convoy for my uncles funeral here in PHL, and when i was driving i remember i posted here something regarding in reverse while on clutch. so i did try today the clutch control and i dont have to step on gas since we needed to be riding slow.

how long should i do it? and is it bad for the clutch and engine? when should i use clutch control?

Last edited by mitsumi; 06-06-2015 at 01:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whenever you're on the clutch, you're burning it - lifespan is leeching away. Because it's at low RPMs, it wont be as bad as say 5-7k rpm.

In theory, if I'm understanding you right, you should be fine. Some people use gas when moving from a stop - which leeches more from the clutch. So you'd be in a better position than they are.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (06-07-2015)

If by clutch control you mean 'slipping' the clutch so the car will move at a slower speed than it would with the car in 1st gear clutch released, I would not do this for very long. (Similarly bad as holding the car in place on a hill using the clutch instead of brakes).

If I were in the same situation, I would play the accordion: instead of following right on the bumper of the car in front (if it's a speed that requires you to slip theclutch constantly), I would let some space open up so you can get the car moving with amore normal clutch engagement, then declutch and roll along. The gap begins to close, yor speed drops, the gap begins to widen, rinse and repeat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (06-07-2015)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Thanks for the inputs.

What i mean is that i was on first gear, then istead of stepping on the gas i tend to use the clutch to move in a very slow pace since the convoy is also slow, the rpm doesn't even pass the no.1 rpm, we're not on an up hill but just on a straight/flat road. So is it good or bad?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Think of the clutch like brake pads. When your slipping the clutch, it is wearing much like as if your riding your brakes. Both will wear prematurely if you do so constantly. Once in a great while and your ok.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimInMichigan For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (06-07-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Some people use gas when moving from a stop - which leeches more from the clutch. So you'd be in a better position than they are.
    Not sure what you mean by that, could you clarify? If I didn't give it gas from a stop, it would stall. Only had that happen once, but I've not given it enough gas several times to have the RPMs drop pretty low.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Learn to get the car moving without touching the gas pedal. That is quality clutch operation. Then add just enough throttle to make the operation smooth as glass and you have the abilities of a professional driver.

It's like swimming, learn to breathe so you stay on the surface of the water, then all you have to do to swim is move your arms and legs. I learned at 3 years age.

I learned to use a clutch properly the first time I drove a Datsun 240 Z. I keep my heel on the floor and use it as a hinge to pivot my foot for very precise engagement control. The throttle response was so good on the early Z, if you did NOT keep your heel on the floor you got that neck snappping oscillation in acceleration, pivot on the heel and it disappeared.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    The Space Star 1.2 with european specification and long first gear is not very easy to get moving compared to all other cars I´ve driven yet. The start-stopp automatic holds the engine speed at 1200 rpm after starting again for several seconds to make the start up easier, so I think giving it gas to start up with about 1200 rpm ist the best way to get the car moving.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    just want to ask another question. When doing clutch control, does it consume alot of fuel rather than using the gas pedal? i noticed that when it's traffic but still moving on a slow pace my ECO light turns on even on 1st gear and still on clutch control. i just feel that im a clutch driver which they say is bad.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    just want to ask another question. When doing clutch control, does it consume alot of fuel rather than using the gas pedal? i noticed that when it's traffic but still moving on a slow pace my ECO light turns on even on 1st gear and still on clutch control. i just feel that im a clutch driver which they say is bad.
    Theory is that the less 'gas' pedal you use, the less gasoline you use.

With that said, if you're able to get the car rolling without touching the accelerator, then you would probably be using less gasoline.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-24-2015)