Thread: auxiliary gears in CVT - downshift at stop, or approaching stop?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

auxiliary gears in CVT - downshift at stop, or approaching stop?

Noticed my trans sometimes (usually) drops into low range with a slight jerking motion when I slow down to a crawl. However, it sometimes doesn't drop into low until I've completely stopped. Wondering which is right, or does it vary with how the car has been driven recently?
    After having to accelerate rapidly yesterday (due to some oncoming fool trying to make a yellow light), the transmission seems smoother. Doesn't jerk and it doesn't seem to downshift to low until I stop. I'm thinking it has something to do with the logic or memory, guess it remembers that change in driving habit and compensated for it somehow?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Usually these days engine management / transmission logic adjustments to your driving style happen over the course of 20-50 miles or so. More sophisticated systems match the adjustments to the particular remote key-less entry transmitter. So a vehicle could have 2 (or more) different profiles based upon the user. I have no idea how Mitsubishi's system works.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ok, thanks. Must be logic, as it's electronically controlled. Will see how it does over the next few hundred miles.