Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poor performance with A/C

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup, I also turn the A/C off when needing to get going quicker, say entering a freeway or going up a steep hill. I understand 74hp is going to take a hit from the A/C running.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    my girlfriend simply hits the AC button (shutting the AC off) in her Mirage when she is taking off from a light if she needs to move quickly. When she's up to speed, she turns it back on.
    Ha! I used to do exactly this in an old (80's) Honda Accord.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Ha! I used to do exactly this in an old (80's) Honda Accord.
    I called turning off the AC "hitting the Turbo button" on my Saturn.

My Mirage is the first car I've had with power windows. Unless my wife is with me, I'm pretty much fine with windows down, which is nice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My AC is arctic. Very cold.

As far as power goes, I know my girlfriend simply hits the AC button (shutting the AC off) in her Mirage when she is taking off from a light if she needs to move quickly. When she's up to speed, she turns it back on.

I just don't mind the lack of power too much. I guess coming from a Geo Metro helps in that regard!
    Bingo, and in most cases your are moving again before the evaporator warms up that much. You could install a vacuum interruptor if it bothers you that much.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With the AC on mine makes me feel like I have never driven manual before. I am thinking about using a clasic car style electric compressor system to put the strain on the battery/ alternator instead of the engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BecauseRaceCar View Post
    With the AC on mine makes me feel like I have never driven manual before. I am thinking about using a clasic car style electric compressor system to put the strain on the battery/ alternator instead of the engine.
    You know that's actually a pretty good idea. I wonder if you could use the electric compressor from the iMiev and adapt it to the Mirage. Hmmm

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I wouldn't bother doing all that work. The energy to drive the AC has to eventually come from the engine regardless. In addition, the engine also has to make enough power to compensate for the added losses in your new electric load. In the long run you will burn more gas and probably get a shortened alternator life as a bonus. Every time you convert energy from one form to another you'll get losses, so the simpler you can keep stuff the better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I wouldn't bother doing all that work. The energy to drive the AC has to eventually come from the engine regardless. In addition, the engine also has to make enough power to compensate for the added losses in your new electric load. In the long run you will burn more gas and probably get a shortened alternator life as a bonus. Every time you convert energy from one form to another you'll get losses, so the simpler you can keep stuff the better.
    I forgot...the reason they have electric motor steering assist and AC drive is to save fuel when they are not in use. Not having to drive a clutch assembly or pump when not needed is a good thing. I had meant to point out that you probably won't notice any extra power to push the car when using an electric driven AC and perhaps have even a bit less.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My AC is arctic. Very cold.
    Same here. No complaints about that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MemphiS For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-15-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    With the AC on mine makes me feel like I have never driven manual before.
    I know, right? It's freaking embarrassing. Again, I'm stop and go on short city blocks all night long, and my town is quite hilly.