Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poor performance with A/C

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Takes the car 5-10 mins to get cold. I do have the windows tinted.

As far as AC and power goes, the smaller the engine, the more power drain from the AC. You can literally 'feel' it when you have the cruise control on.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    They're saying 110 tomorrow with the heat index. Going to be the hottest day of the year so far (over here). Going to see how the car does.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Heat index is almost 100 here today. I managed to get just about every red light possible on my ~10 mile round trip to the grocery store. Dash said 33mpg, which is pretty atrocious. AC definitely eats into the acceleration and MPG for city driving. Still, better than no AC!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So i had my ac professionaly evac and charged and since has blown much colder and with alot less compressor drag. Cant explain why unless the factory filled it with low quality stuff.hope this helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The A/C in our '14 ES has gradually degraded to the point where the car doesn't cool down well when it's over 100*F. I remember being impressed with its capacity when the car was new, but now it is not acceptable. Anyone taken their car to the dealer for this issue, maybe a pinhole leak/low refrigerant?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I normally lose about 3mpg with my air conditioner on. I've been running the 4-65 variety as much as possible...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 81.Chevette View Post
    Is there anything I'm missing? Have you guys with 5-speeds noticed this?
    ANy car in conditions like this would suffer, Prius is no exception even with all-electric A/C.

If you wanna lower losses run A/C in auto set to 80-82deg and recirculation. What color is yours? white and window tint make big difference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by btavish View Post
    So i had my ac professionaly evac and charged and since has blown much colder and with alot less compressor drag. Cant explain why unless the factory filled it with low quality stuff.hope this helps.
    If you actually feel a difference in drag after an evac/recharge, I may just go ahead and do this as well even
    with only 1500km on the ODO... already did a front end alignment, may as well give the wee engine the easiest
    time I possibly can while making it more drivable for me in stop and go traffic.

It's pretty terrible for me at low speeds as well. It makes weird noises that I don't think are normal for a new
    compressor upon startup too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After the evac/recharge, does it cycle less frequently? The compressor in ours cycles on/off a lot more than I think it should.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    After the evac/recharge, does it cycle less frequently? The compressor in ours cycles on/off a lot more than I think it should.
    If it cools better it should take less time to cool, so it will cycle more?

Did they tell you were the leak were? Dye tested?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)