Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Burning Oil At 10,000 Miles! (Update 10-03-2015: no more oil burned)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Call it urban legend, but his has been discussed oh so many times:
    http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-t...te-piston.html
    this is some tech from a abrasive manufacturer

Crosshatch
    Crosshatch is also important because the amount, depth and angle of the crosshatch in the cylinder bores determines how much lubrication the rings receive and the rate of ring rotation.

Excessive shallow crosshatch angles can hinder or slow down the necessary ring rotation that allows the rings to dissipate heat. It can also leave too much oil on the cylinder wall allowing the rings to skate over the surface and the engine to use oil. Too steep of a crosshatch angle may not provide enough oil retention and can result in dry starts and premature ring wear. A steep crosshatch angle can also create excessive ring rotation that accelerates ring and piston groove wear.

Ring manufacturers typically recommend a crosshatch angle of 22° to 32° as measured from horizontal and uniform in both directions.
    ...if you do some SAE research, you'll find that they can rotate up to around 10 rpms depending on several variables. Sometimes they can rotate at 1 rpm or slower.
    For the oil rings, they sometimes are pinned so no rotation on those.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    Pretty sure ring gap offset is 180 degrees, 90 degrees away from the wrist pin ends.

regards
    mech
    If you go 180 degrees between gaps then rings 1 and 3 will have their gaps lined up. With a 120 degree seperation it doesn't happen. If posssible it's best to keep the upper ring gap away from the power thrust* side of the piston, which is always 90 degrees from the wrist ping. The OTHER 90 degree direction is probably fine. In all honesty I don't know what's worse, inline with the pins or 90 off. Where would the piston rocking make the least difference to the gap?

The proximity of gap to plug is probably the least of the concerns as the piston land above the top ring probably cools down the combustion charge enough.

* The power thrust side being the one forced into the cylinder wall more because the connecting rod is on the other side during the power stroke. Because of the rod angle, the pressure on the top of the piston also forces it sideways a bit. Old steam engines were immune to this because the reciprocating action conversion to rotating movement did not happen directly beneath the cylinder.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow thanks for all the expert advice about breaking in my engine, checking my oil on a level surface, and the comparisons to Chevy Sparks and small blocks from the 70s. If I'd wanted a piece of junk to throw away my money on from Government Motors, I would have bought an Aveo (Daewoo).

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    Wow thanks for all the expert advice about breaking in my engine, checking my oil on a level surface, and the comparisons to Chevy Sparks and small blocks from the 70s. If I'd wanted a piece of junk to throw away my money on from Government Motors, I would have bought an Aveo (Daewoo).
    Don't take it personally. Other Mirage owners have concern too. Since this is 1st occurrence, and noone else had witness this they're somewhat skeptical. There could be other explanations on why your oil is getting low besides burning.

For example you may have a leak, oil can be not draining to the pan at the time of checking, wrong oil viscosity, etc. Pls bear with us.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's Not Wright!!!!! Mine has 9,200 and doesn't use NO Oil!!! That Mirage needs to go back to the Dealer ASAP!!
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Call it urban legend, but his has been discussed oh so many times:
    http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-t...te-piston.html
    Ring rotation is an absolute fantasy, especially when you say a cross hatch does it. Let's pretend a single spiral is cut in the cylinder. There may, possibly, be a tendency for the rings to follow it. Now, cut another spiral exactly the same as the first, but going in the opposite direction. The two grooves now form a cross hatch...AND they completely cancel each other out as far as giving rings any turning force whatsoever.

As far as cross hatching goes there is less and less need for it as cylinder finishes and roundness get better from the factories and piston rkngs keep getting thinner.

A 1/4 inch wide Harley ring along with a back yard bored cylinder may well require a 60 grit cross hatch to get seated. A 2mm thick modern ring sliding in a super fine honed or plated cylinder does not.

Please don't give me that stuff about oil retention, either. Look at a really high mileage cylinder. The rings have worn it mirror smooth and yet they STILL have no problem retaining oil. Then look at all those exotic chrome or nickasil bores. Do you honestly think they'd be so crude as to butcher them with some hand hand drill cross hatch?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have 9100 miles and mine doesn't consume oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Duh, yeah maybe the viscosity is wrong. I should stop using 20W50 maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Don't take it personally. Other Mirage owners have concern too. Since this is 1st occurrence, and noone else had witness this they're somewhat skeptical. There could be other explanations on why your oil is getting low besides burning.

For example you may have a leak, oil can be not draining to the pan at the time of checking, wrong oil viscosity, etc. Pls bear with us.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,582 Times in 1,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    Duh, yeah maybe the viscosity is wrong. I should stop using 20W50 maybe?
    I'm confused, on your first post you stated you were using 0-20W?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I'm confused, on your first post you stated you were using 0-20W?
    I assume this was a joke.