Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2015 Mitsubishi mirage es cvt I need help please :(

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    In Europe the instruction manual says oil change every 20.000km (14000 miles something?). So it depends on where you live, what your quality of fuel and oils are. Mitsubishi found that all out for you. The only thing you need to do is follow what is said in the instruction manual. Personally I find every 7500 miles overdone. Just follow Mitsubishi's recommendations and you will be fine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    There are some info pages on the website Bob Is The Oil Guy that says oil needs to be changed on a more frequent basis. It is not necessarily dependent upon mileage, though that is a factor, but also on time as additives are lost and will need to be replenished.

Here is a link to the site's Motor Oil University, the info pages I am referring to. Read through them when you get some time. I read through it a couple years ago and it helped me better understand motor oil. Their forums are also a good resource.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

debburyl (11-18-2015)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    There are some info pages on the website Bob Is The Oil Guy that says oil needs to be changed on a more frequent basis. It is not necessarily dependent upon mileage, though that is a factor, but also on time as additives are lost and will need to be replenished.

Here is a link to the site's Motor Oil University, the info pages I am referring to. Read through them when you get some time. I read through it a couple years ago and it helped me better understand motor oil. Their forums are also a good resource.
    He is really someone who makes oil his hobby! But, he is talking Ferrari, Prosche, Maybach, Formula 1. This is really overdone as far as a Mitsubishi Mirage is concerned. I think Mitsubishi engineers know all what is in the Motor Oil University very well too. So, my recommendation remains: Follow the instruction manual and enjoy your car. Do no think too much about the oil except checking the level once a month. I have driven many cars to above 170.000 miles or more. I never had any engine wear problem. I just followed the instruction manual.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman, I'm with you on the Oil!! Oil is your life line to your car. Even the MITSUBISHI Dealer, mech, didn't like the idea of waiting that long to change your oil. So changing it more often only adds years &Life to your motor. I think a lot of people Neglect thier oil and car, then when it brakes down they wonder!! O my why is my car braking down???? I've had a lot of cars last me a lot longer by taking better care of the car. And I also follow the owners manual as well. To keep in good standing with the warraunty .
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRoNL View Post
    He is really someone who makes oil his hobby! But, he is talking Ferrari, Prosche, Maybach, Formula 1. This is really overdone as far as a Mitsubishi Mirage is concerned. I think Mitsubishi engineers know all what is in the Motor Oil University very well too. So, my recommendation remains: Follow the instruction manual and enjoy your car. Do no think too much about the oil except checking the level once a month. I have driven many cars to above 170.000 miles or more. I never had any engine wear problem. I just followed the instruction manual.
    Your reply makes me think you might have not read the articles, or just skimmed over them. The introductory page explains that oil made for racing motors & racing conditions does not apply to normal vehicles. The operating temperatures, not to mention all the other aspects of racing, are very different.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    From BITOG Motor Oil University 102
    The downside of a mineral based multi-grade oil is that this VII additive wears out over time and you end up with the original straight 10 grade oil. It will go back to being too thin when hot.
    VII = viscosity index improvers

This is just theory however. With normal oil change intervals the VI improver will not wear out and so the problem does not really exist. In fact, oils do thin a little with use. This is partly from dilution with blow by gasoline and partly from VI improvers being used up. What is more interesting is that with further use motor oils actually thicken and this is much worse than the minimal thinning that may have occurred earlier.
    Synthetic oils are a whole different story. There is no VI improver added so there is nothing to wear out. The actual oil molecules never wear out. You could almost use the same oil forever. The problem is that there are other additives and they do get used up. I suppose if there was a good way to keep oil clean you could just add a can of additives every 6 months and just change the filter, never changing the oil.
    Also, keep in mind this food for thought. While I cannot quote my source right now (I might have gotten it from BITOG) manufacturers know that car buyers consider upkeep in total cost of ownership. By stretching oil change intervals, they can make their products look more affordable. However, doing so does not mean that oil formulations are keeping up with manufacturer's promises.