Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redline 75w80 GL 4 for notchy/rough shifting 2015 Mirage GLX (Manual 5 Speed)

Country
    Indonesia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Redline 75w80 GL 4 for notchy/rough shifting 2015 Mirage GLX (Manual 5 Speed)

What's up everyone, just got me brand new 2015 Mirage GLX (5 speed MT) and already clocked in 500 kms at current.

Just realised that the gear shift from Park to 1 and 2 are notchy not buttery smooth. Also it has this timid grinding sound whenever I shift up (yet surprisingly smooth on down shifting).

I read from this forum that plenty of their mirage having similar problems as mine. Is this even normal? Or perhaps still need "break in" period?

Also read that Redline MTL 75W80 will greatly reduce tor eliminate the notchy-ness. Got mine today and replaced factory ones. It does reduced it but not necessarily eliminate it. How long do you think the oil work properly?

Thanks for your advices

Thanks
    I'll assume park means neutral.

Engine running shifting from neutral into 1st or 2nd gear. If that is "notchy" then I would check the clutch adjustment and tighten the clutch cable slightly. My manual has no such symptoms.

Hope that is the recommended fluid for the transmission.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

noobsta (09-07-2015)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Hi Mech

Indeed the Park that I meant is neutral/steady still.

The Red Line MTL has the same sae 75W80 with the factory fluid.

Could you instruct me how to adjust the clutch cable as you've mentioned before? And should I just go to the dealer and let them adjust it instead

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    I'll assume park means neutral.

Engine running shifting from neutral into 1st or 2nd gear. If that is "notchy" then I would check the clutch adjustment and tighten the clutch cable slightly. My manual has no such symptoms.

Hope that is the recommended fluid for the transmission.

regards
    mech

Thanks
    I checked mine by pulling forward on the cable. Mine would move about 13-15MM (the cable itself) before it started to press on the clutch pressure plate inside the transmission (made a noise).

Where the clutch cable goes to the release lever on the transmission a bracket holds it in place.
    A long threaded tube passes through that bracket. On the tube there is nut like a bottle cap but hollow (under the left edge of my battery). Turn the nut by hand to tighten the nut, tightening it means the top of the nut moves towards the back of the car while the bottom of the nut moves towards the front (rh threads).

That makes the play in the cable become less and less. You don't want to make it to little or the throw out bearing will be constantly engaged and wear out prematurely. It will, if you adjust all the play out of the cable so check that frequently, and road test after some adjustment to see if the problem is solved.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

fatcat (09-08-2015),laceygirl (09-07-2015),Littlestan (09-07-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    there is also a thread on here about adjusting the clutch with pics....I did have to adjust mine quite a bit so it was easier for my wife to learn how to drive a stick...really easy to do!

Thanks
    Easiest clutch adjustment ever. I grow more and more impressed with this car and some of the details, like the side latches on the glove box, the recessed seat belt latches in the rear seat. The amount of leg room in the rear when I have the drivers seat all the way back.

Mine handles great with the rear wheels aligned.

regards
    mech

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    The shifters on these cars need a bit of use to get 'broken in'. Before messing with it too much, give it about 1000 miles or so.

Mine was notchy when I bought it, but now at 20k miles is as smooth as buttah.

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your kind advices. Indeed, I'll let it with its breakin period for another 500 kilos and hope it's settle in to the desired butter smooth shifting

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The best, IMO, shift feel was from the 90's civics/integras. Just the right amount of firmness, but buttery smooth. Toyota corolla's are especially bad IMO. We're somewhere in between, closer to bad.

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Hi all, is it safe to use redline d4 atf for mirage manual transmission,

in the redline website it says can use for both automatic and manual transmission,
    the SAE is 70w80 GL4, which is match for mirage

thank you

13. The Following User Says Thank You to aceagung For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-19-2017)