Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering buying - various questions

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Smile Considering buying - various questions

Hello!

First let me say this seems like a great forum. I have been reading tons of threads here over the last few days. I have a few specific questions that I could not answer just by searching however.

I am considering two different NEW blue manual 2014 Mirage ESs at two different dealerships. Both are a long drive for me. I am a little skeptical of why these 2014 models are still on the lot, but if I can get it for ~$1500-2000 cheaper than a 2015, it seems worth it. I have noticed that it appears Mitsu no longer offers cash-back on the new 2014s. Seems odd since they would really want to get those off the lots, but I guess it is their way of punishing the dealer for not selling them faster?

I have negotiated $14,000 out-the-door with a Chevy dealership for a new manual 1.4t Sonic LT (about 25% off MSRP). As much as I love the Mirage, unless I can get an equally good deal on one, it is hard to turn down how much extra car I could get with the Sonic for such a great price.

For context, I am moving soon to a new job, and I would be commuting back and forth from Philadelphia to the middle of New Jersey about 45-60 minutes a day, on mostly highways. I am actually not sure what the speed limit is out there, but I am guessing about 70mph.

1. Differences between the 2014 and 2015 models. I am aware of the moved antenna, turn signals on the mirrors, and the apparently changed motor mounts. Am I missing anything else? Do the motor mounts make a significant difference in reducing noise/vibration? Can the 2015 part be installed on the 2014 car, has anyone done this? My main concern with model car is the cabin noise, so are there any other improvements to that in the 2015 such as more insulation?

2. Rear suspension issues. I am basically illiterate when it comes to toe, camber, etc, but I have read concerning reports on this forum about all that. It sounds like I could get stuck with a brand new Mirage with those numbers out of spec and the dealer cannot do anything about it. Chewing through tires does not sound appealing. Also I imagine it makes the road noise worse, decreases gas mileage, and cannot be good for safety. Occassionally someone mentions a possible recall, but I am sure that would be a financial disaster for Mitsu and it does not look like there are any indications it would actually happen.

3. Rear sway bar. I have seen this mentioned as a great $200 part that really improves the suspension. How difficult is it to install for someone with very few tools and limited car knowledge? Or how much time/cost would it take a mechanic to install it?

4. Paint. I have also read concerning reports about the paint being very fragile and susceptible to chipping, and once again the warranty does nothing for the owner (unless it rusts through while under warranty I guess). If I have to factor in repainting the car several years down the road, that is not great for its cheapness.

5. Cabin noise. Finally, this is my lingering reservation for the car. I test drove a used 2014 CVT yesterday, and it did not seem awful but I think I need to spend some more time in the car at highway speed to evaluate it. I also want to try the manual, as I have heard that is quieter? What about at highway, 75mph, speeed, is either one quieter?

If you read the whole thing, THANK YOU! Any responses at all are appreciated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    N
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bruise View Post
    Hello!

First let me say this seems like a great forum. I have been reading tons of threads here over the last few days. I have a few specific questions that I could not answer just by searching however.

I am considering two different NEW blue manual 2014 Mirage ESs at two different dealerships. Both are a long drive for me. I am a little skeptical of why these 2014 models are still on the lot, but if I can get it for ~$1500-2000 cheaper than a 2015, it seems worth it. I have noticed that it appears Mitsu no longer offers cash-back on the new 2014s. Seems odd since they would really want to get those off the lots, but I guess it is their way of punishing the dealer for not selling them faster?

I have negotiated $14,000 out-the-door with a Chevy dealership for a new manual 1.4t Sonic LT (about 25% off MSRP). As much as I love the Mirage, unless I can get an equally good deal on one, it is hard to turn down how much extra car I could get with the Sonic for such a great price.

For context, I am moving soon to a new job, and I would be commuting back and forth from Philadelphia to the middle of New Jersey about 45-60 minutes a day, on mostly highways. I am actually not sure what the speed limit is out there, but I am guessing about 70mph.

1. Differences between the 2014 and 2015 models. I am aware of the moved antenna, turn signals on the mirrors, and the apparently changed motor mounts. Am I missing anything else? Do the motor mounts make a significant difference in reducing noise/vibration? Can the 2015 part be installed on the 2014 car, has anyone done this? My main concern with model car is the cabin noise, so are there any other improvements to that in the 2015 such as more insulation?

2. Rear suspension issues. I am basically illiterate when it comes to toe, camber, etc, but I have read concerning reports on this forum about all that. It sounds like I could get stuck with a brand new Mirage with those numbers out of spec and the dealer cannot do anything about it. Chewing through tires does not sound appealing. Also I imagine it makes the road noise worse, decreases gas mileage, and cannot be good for safety. Occassionally someone mentions a possible recall, but I am sure that would be a financial disaster for Mitsu and it does not look like there are any indications it would actually happen.

3. Rear sway bar. I have seen this mentioned as a great $200 part that really improves the suspension. How difficult is it to install for someone with very few tools and limited car knowledge? Or how much time/cost would it take a mechanic to install it?

4. Paint. I have also read concerning reports about the paint being very fragile and susceptible to chipping, and once again the warranty does nothing for the owner (unless it rusts through while under warranty I guess). If I have to factor in repainting the car several years down the road, that is not great for its cheapness.

5. Cabin noise. Finally, this is my lingering reservation for the car. I test drove a used 2014 CVT yesterday, and it did not seem awful but I think I need to spend some more time in the car at highway speed to evaluate it. I also want to try the manual, as I have heard that is quieter? What about at highway, 75mph, speeed, is either one quieter?

If you read the whole thing, THANK YOU! Any responses at all are appreciated.
    No offense but a lot of the things you worry about are complain about are issues of cheap cars period. Is the paint cheap? Absolutely same as most low end cars. Painting a car down the road? Almost every car could use a paint job around 5+ years down the road.

Difference between the 2014/15 are nearly the same.

If you're worried about the rear end tell the dealer you want a alignment calibration sheet before you buy to make sure the car is in camber and toe. You'll know its right because the squares it shows with the picture of the car will be green and not red.
    Sway bars are effortless to install don't feel intimidated at all.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

Darth Bruise (10-14-2015),debburyl (10-15-2015),GrnBn (10-15-2015)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Yup Clessy got it in one... You'll love the mirage if you buy it... We all do...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Which trim are you looking at? If it is just DE with 5MT check autotrader, there are several listed under 10k. Maybe not in your area.

With respect of cheapness and noise, this is a cheap car and door skins are very thin. We had applied soundproofing (Peel and seal from Lowe's, 2 rolls $16.49/ea) and it made huge difference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    People who buy these cars typically do so for price, warranty, and mpg. If 'comfort is king' with you, I'd go with the Sonic. The Sonic is really in another class, to be fair. Like comparing a Chevy Cavalier with a Geo Metro. It won't get the mpg and won't have the warranty, but will likely be more comfortable, faster, and handle better. I am not personally a fan of rebadged Daewoos...

If this dealer still has NEW '14s on the lot in October of 2015, I'd turn the screws on them. IMHO, there is no reason a new '14 ES should be much over $12k OTD, and a new DE should be around $10k OTD. It's not your job to take the depreciation on last year's cars they couldn't sell.

If they are '14s AND manual cars, I am sure the dealership wants them G-O-N-E.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    People who buy these cars typically do so for price, warranty, and mpg. If 'comfort is king' with you, I'd go with the Sonic. The Sonic is really in another class, to be fair. Like comparing a Chevy Cavalier with a Geo Metro. It won't get the mpg and won't have the warranty, but will likely be more comfortable, faster, and handle better. I am not personally a fan of rebadged Daewoos...

If this dealer still has NEW '14s on the lot in October of 2015, I'd turn the screws on them. IMHO, there is no reason a new '14 ES should be much over $12k OTD, and a new DE should be around $10k OTD. It's not your job to take the depreciation on last year's cars they couldn't sell.

If they are '14s AND manual cars, I am sure the dealership wants them G-O-N-E.
    The sonic is american built, the spark is a daewoo.

14K for a sonic is a excellent deal! I really think the sonic looks sharp on the outside, I'm not a fan of the motorcycle gauge cluster, but the rest of the car is nice! If you can't find a Mitsubishi dealer that will negotiate a good price for a mirage for you let them know your going to go buy a new sonic for 14K.

If mpg is very important to you, then a mirage is the king.

The rear sway bar is easy, just a few basic tools, jack and two jack stands (you can borrow these or find a car buddy to help).

The paint is thin on a lot of cars, adding clear plasti dip will prolong your paint from stones and rocks on the highway. Waxing as needed will help as well. I've had to wax my Mirage 3 times so far in 10 months, but I was my car frequently.

Let the dealership know you are concerned about the alignment and you want it checked and printed out before signing any paper work.

The cvt is quieter at 75 mph, the manual is at 3K rpm at about 60 mph, I normally don't exceed 60, I am so happy when I get into a 55 mph construction zone, not that the mirage is not capable of higher speeds, I just prefer mpg.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Darth Bruise (10-14-2015),MetroMPG (10-17-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    The sonic is american built, the spark is a daewoo.
    They are both GM Korea (Daewoo) designs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah, didn't think about the designing process, was thinking about build quality. I'll note the sonic as 50% korean lol.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the great responses.

I really like what Mitsubishi is doing with this car, and think the reception it has gotten from professional reviewers is very unfair and biased. I am really going back and forth between the two. It would be the ES model that I would buy.

Most of my driving will be highway (I think only 65mph speed limit though). I love that the Sonic's rpm at 60mph is below 2000 (I don't remember exactly, it was probably about 1700). When you're cruising along at 3500+ RPM in a car, it just feels like you're doing something the car wasn't meant to do. Short of a 6th gear, I wish the Mirage was geared taller.

On the plus side for the Mirage, it is a few thousand dollars cheaper, and the warranty is awesome (Chevy's is pretty good too compared to most brands). And the MPG I think would be at least 5-10mpg better with my driving. I also like the possibility that this car will generate a rather cult-like following.

Down the line, how much do you think it would cost for materials and labor to have both a new sound system and extensive sound deadening professionally installed in the Mirage?

Thanks for the advice on asking for an alignment calibration sheet. I asked the dealer for it, and hopefully they deliver.
    Last edited by Darth Bruise; 10-14-2015 at 08:30 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will be honest. I LOVE the Mirage... But it desperately needs 6th gear. If you are going to be doing all highway, it wont be much fun unless you lock the cruise on 65 religiously. I have put 45000 miles on mine with an even mix of city, rural 2 lane, and Interstate, and it is much more a 2 lane cruiser. It really shines there. If I were going to pick an Interstate cruiser it would probably be the Sonic. Thats a great little car that I really liked but couldnt afford.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)