Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mirage EPA numbers (changed from 2014/2015?)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This is from the Natural Resources Canada website, but I think the testing is exactly the same for the EPA testing.

"The city test simulates urban driving in stop-and-go traffic with an average speed of 34 km/h and a top speed of 90 km/h. The test runs for approximately 31 minutes and includes 23 stops. The test begins from a cold engine start, which is similar to starting a vehicle after it has been parked overnight during the summer. The final phase of the test repeats the first eight minutes of the cycle but with a hot engine start. This simulates restarting a vehicle after it has been warmed up, driven and then stopped for a short time. Over five minutes of test time are spent idling, to represent waiting at traffic lights."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I would really appreciate a 6th gear. My 250cc Honda dirtbike had one, and it was useful when cruising on the highway . . . not used for passing, of course.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I would really appreciate a 6th gear. My 250cc Honda dirtbike had one, and it was useful when cruising on the highway . . . not used for passing, of course.
    This is my biggest beef with all car mfg in US who still sell manual. They find it totally unacceptable to have gearing tall enough to require downshift at highway speeds on 5% hill. This is not an issue with auto transmissions, as they can always downshift.

The reality is that any car with 6 speed has about the same final drive as 5-speed, so getting a 6-speed would not change this.

I could see how Mitsu saved money with just using 5-speed AISIN standard, especially since MIVEC gives them very wide and flexible torque curve.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    This is my biggest beef with all car mfg in US who still sell manual. They find it totally unacceptable to have gearing tall enough to require downshift at highway speeds on 5% hill. This is not an issue with auto transmissions, as they can always downshift.

The reality is that any car with 6 speed has about the same final drive as 5-speed, so getting a 6-speed would not change this.

I could see how Mitsu saved money with just using 5-speed AISIN standard, especially since MIVEC gives them very wide and flexible torque curve.
    I should have been more precise in my wish - I wish there was a taller ratio top gear - either adding a 6th or spacing out 1-5 a bit more. This was one of the reasons I chose the Mirage over the new Honda Fit. I was glad to learn the Fit now came with a 6 speed, but the new 6 was the old 5, and they just added a gear between 2 and 3 I think!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I should have been more precise in my wish - I wish there was a taller ratio top gear - either adding a 6th or spacing out 1-5 a bit more. This was one of the reasons I chose the Mirage over the new Honda Fit. I was glad to learn the Fit now came with a 6 speed, but the new 6 was the old 5, and they just added a gear between 2 and 3 I think!
    I am with you but unless you get a final drive out of other markets, this is not happening.

I suppose you could get bigger wheels and deal with speedo discrepancy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I am with you but unless you get a final drive out of other markets, this is not happening.

I suppose you could get bigger wheels and deal with speedo discrepancy.
    It might be possible to change the speedo settings within the ECU. It would require a reflash, and someone would need access to a MUT-III more than likely.

A dealership might be able to do it for you if you asked.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Fuel economy rating has improved for Thai spec

Name:  Mitsubishi_Mirage_facelift_Thailand-31-850x567.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  78.6 KB

The revised Mirage has just been introduced in Bangkok at the 2015 Thai Motor Expo.

The NEDC fuel economy rating has improved:

• Previous rating: 21 km/L combined for the original 1.2L CVT (looked up on Mitsu's Malaysian site's - PDF brochure, and Thai spec paultan.org)
    • Updated rating: 23.8 km/L combined for the revised 1.2L CVT (per Mitsu's Thai site and paultan.org)

23.8 km/L = 4.2 L/100 km = 56 mpg (US)

These numbers are of course based on the very optimistic New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) ratings and do not translate to EPA / NRCAN numbers.

That's a 13% improvement

If the EPA combined rating for the CVT went up by 13%, it'd go from 40 to 45 mpg US. That also makes the improved 1.2L CVT combined rating equal to the 1.0L 5MT rating (UK spec).

13% is a HUGE difference. The changes announced in L.A. don't add up in my books (unless there's more stuff they didn't tell us about, like ECU/transmission programming).

More about the Bangkok launch:
    http://paultan.org/2015/12/03/mitsubishi-mirage-facelift-goes-high-tech-in-thailand/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (01-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I too wish there was a taller 5th gear in these cars... 1,900 miles driving my mirage and I am still not used to seeing 3,000 rpm at 60mph.

There is plenty of power to go wider in my opinion. I'd much rather downshift on hills than cruise at that high rpm. Give me atleast 2,000 at 60 mph in 5th and I'd be happy.

For people anticipating the new ratings, it might be worth keeping an eye on http://fueleconomy.gov . New vehicle ratings sometimes appear before the manufacturer makes any announcements.

I don't think EPA submits to "information embargo" schedules that the manufacturers impose on the car-reviewing media.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Name:  Mitsubishi_Mirage_facelift_Thailand-31-850x567.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  78.6 KB

The revised Mirage has just been introduced in Bangkok at the 2015 Thai Motor Expo.

The NEDC fuel economy rating has improved:

• Previous rating: 21 km/L combined for the original 1.2L CVT (looked up on Mitsu's Malaysian site's - PDF brochure, and Thai spec paultan.org)
    • Updated rating: 23.8 km/L combined for the revised 1.2L CVT (per Mitsu's Thai site and paultan.org)

23.8 km/L = 4.2 L/100 km = 56 mpg (US)

These numbers are of course based on the very optimistic New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) ratings and do not translate to EPA / NRCAN numbers.

That's a 13% improvement

If the EPA combined rating for the CVT went up by 13%, it'd go from 40 to 45 mpg US. That also makes the improved 1.2L CVT combined rating equal to the 1.0L 5MT rating (UK spec).

13% is a HUGE difference. The changes announced in L.A. don't add up in my books (unless there's more stuff they didn't tell us about, like ECU/transmission programming).

More about the Bangkok launch:
    http://paultan.org/2015/12/03/mitsubishi-mirage-facelift-goes-high-tech-in-thailand/
    Do we know if Thai model listed with or without stop and go?

I wouldn't read too much into NEDC numbers. 2016 Prius is 30% better on NEDC to only be 4% on EPA. Mirage has conventional powertrain so perhaps difference will be not as drastic.