Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Mirage G4 sedan debut: reactions from the blogosphere (TTAC, C&D, AB, Jalopnik etc.)

2016 New York Auto Show: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage and Outlander

a low price and warranty coverage will likely remain these cars’ only real advantages

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    2016 New York Auto Show: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage and Outlander
    a low price and warranty coverage will likely remain these cars’ only real advantages
    No MPG? must be nice to be paying for gas wth corporate credit card.

I drove 4900mi last month oh well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ed-below-15000
    2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 sedan priced below $15,000

After much discussion, Mitsubishi is adding a sedan version of its Mirage subcompact for the 2017 model year.

The 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4, as it is known, debuted in February at the 2016 Toronto Auto Show, and also appeared at last month's 2016 New York Auto Show.

It shouldn't be long before the new sedan arrives in showrooms, following the revised 2017 Mirage hatchback.

DON'T MISS: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage Sedan Unveiled At Toronto Auto Show

The G4 will be priced slightly higher than the hatchback, and take a small hit in fuel economy, according to CarsDirect, which cites Mitsubishi documents.

A base Mirage G4 ES with the 5-speed manual transmission will start at $14,830, including destination. That's $1,000 more than a base hatchback.

Opting for the CVT automatic adds $1,200 to the base price, bumping it to $16,030.

The higher-level SE model will start at $17,830 and is only available with the CVT.

That's again a $1,000 premium over a CVT-equipped SE hatchback, but the hatchback is also available with the cheaper manual transmission in this trim level.

So there's effectively a $2,200 gap between the sedan and hatchback SE models.
    The sedan body translates to 3.2 inches more rear legroom, and a 3.5-cubic-foot increase in overall passenger volume, to 89.5 cubic feet.

Cargo volume, meanwhile, shrinks by 4.9 cubic feet to 12.3.
    2015 hatchback has 34" of rear leg room, +3.2 = 37.2" or 0.2" more than Nissan Versa sedan
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 04-01-2016 at 01:41 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $17,830 is absolutely crazy. The car is not worth that at all. They better have that rebate of $1250 on the hood from the jump. The Versa is more powerful and has a nicer interior. There is no way that a brand like Mitsubishi can compete at that price. You can get a Hyundai Accent or a Kia Rio at that price as well with the same options and warranty. A fully loaded Mirage sedan or hatch should not go over 16 grand. Compared to other larger cars with more power and better interiors, they will be way overpriced.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Some dad will want to send his child off to college and not have to worry about fixing their car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Some dad will want to send his child off to college and not have to worry about fixing their car.
    Ditto

Member BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles2 View Post
    $17,830 is absolutely crazy. The car is not worth that at all. They better have that rebate of $1250 on the hood from the jump. The Versa is more powerful and has a nicer interior. There is no way that a brand like Mitsubishi can compete at that price. You can get a Hyundai Accent or a Kia Rio at that price as well with the same options and warranty. A fully loaded Mirage sedan or hatch should not go over 16 grand. Compared to other larger cars with more power and better interiors, they will be way overpriced.

Respectfully disagree. By the manufacturer web site, a 2017 SE with CVT is $16,830. My 2015 ES with CVT was $16,205. For $625 more you get improved grill, freshened interior, and a 6.5 inch audio display with back up camera. If sedan at + $1,000 is too much, go for hatchback.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Mitsubishi obviously has a lot of 'wiggle room' on the pricing of the US Mirage (the 'March Mirage-A-Palooza' taught us that)...why not just go ahead and demonstrably undercut the competition?

Even if the Mirage is only cheapest by a dollar...the press has to say it's the cheapest. And that gets people's attention.

Mitsubishi is tending to the market that Hyundai and Kia have abandoned (Kia now offers a model here in the US that costs $62,000). Why not do it right? I understand that car makers charge whatever they feel a particular market will bear, but why not go all out and be THE MOST affordable instead of just being affordable and really put some cars on the US roads?

Last month's sales numbers have shown that Mitsu can put A LOT of Mirages on the road if the price is right.

I wonder what the difference in bottom-line profit would be for Mitsubishi selling 15,000 Mirages at $13,000 a pop versus selling 50,000 Mirages at $10,000 a pop?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Mitsubishi obviously has a lot of 'wiggle room' on the pricing of the US Mirage (the 'March Mirage-A-Palooza' taught us that)...why not just go ahead and demonstrably undercut the competition?

Even if the Mirage is only cheapest by a dollar...the press has to say it's the cheapest. And that gets people's attention.

Mitsubishi is tending to the market that Hyundai and Kia have abandoned (Kia now offers a model here in the US that costs $62,000). Why not do it right? I understand that car makers charge whatever they feel a particular market will bear, but why not go all out and be THE MOST affordable instead of just being affordable and really put some cars on the US roads?

Last month's sales numbers have shown that Mitsu can put A LOT of Mirages on the road if the price is right.

I wonder what the difference in bottom-line profit would be for Mitsubishi selling 15,000 Mirages at $13,000 a pop versus selling 50,000 Mirages at $10,000 a pop?
    I agree wholeheartedly. Why not go all out and dominate the market for a full year to increase market share. Now that the PHEV Outlander is coming to the USA (which has been well received worldwide) it's a great opportunity to really pump up the traffic through their dealer network. IMHO there is a huge untapped market in the USA for affordabile new cars. The Mirage-A-Palooza clearly demonstrated that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Agreed. This is the strategy Nissan took with the Micra in Canada, and it has been hugely successful.

Boatloads of free media coverage about the Micra's "shocking" $9998 starting MSRP, and now it dominates the segment. The Mirage suffered badly by comparison starting at $12,498 with worse NVH and mushy suspension (not to mention Nissan's 109 hp 4-cyl is inherently more enthusiast-reviewer-friendly). Mitsu had to immediately respond by slapping a perpetual $2500 rebate on it. Nissan has even forced GM's hand: the base Spark is now $9995 MSRP.

"Cheapest new car" is the same strategy Nissan has for the Versa sedan in the US, and it dominates the segment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)