Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Fullsize spare for Mirage? 14 inch

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Is that rim steel or aluminum?
    Steel rim, I will take a photo when the trunk is cleaner.

Plan on rotating in the spare tire and purchasing 4 new tires when they expire (hoping for 90,000km+ but who knows).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
    Steel rim, I will take a photo when the trunk is cleaner.

Plan on rotating in the spare tire and purchasing 4 new tires when they expire (hoping for 90,000km+ but who knows).
    Just a suggestion - I would buy a pair or set of new tires for your new full size spare.

When it comes time to replace your current tires, use the new pair or set of tires & make one of the old tires become your full size spare.

Working a 5th tire into a tire rotation is a bit of a pain in my opinion. I would rather have the tires on an axle match perfectly, and working a 5th tire into the rotation will mess that up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Just a suggestion - I would buy a pair or set of new tires for your new full size spare.

When it comes time to replace your current tires, use the new pair or set of tires & make one of the old tires become your full size spare.

Working a 5th tire into a tire rotation is a bit of a pain in my opinion. I would rather have the tires on an axle match perfectly, and working a 5th tire into the rotation will mess that up.
    What if the tires are rotated every 100 miles? Maybe then it'd work.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Have a full size spare (new never used, hopefully).

Rotate through the 4 tires on the car until they wear out.

When the original 4 tires wear out, buy 4 new tires the same as the spare, use the spare and 3 new tires, make 1 new tire the spare.

That way, you never get a super old tire age wise and they still match on wear pattern.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Someone is going to rotate their tires a couple times every gas tank?

That sounds absolutely nuts to me.
    Last edited by Mark; 01-21-2024 at 09:16 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have a full size spare (new never used, hopefully).

Rotate through the 4 tires on the car until they wear out.

When the original 4 tires wear out, buy 4 new tires the same as the spare, use the spare and 3 new tires, make 1 new tire the spare.

That way, you never get a super old tire age wise and they still match on wear pattern.
    How often are you going to change a tire when using 5? Just curious?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    How often are you going to change a tire when using 5? Just curious?
    Well ideally never need to use the full size spare but an emergency blowout or unrepairable flat (ie. tire sidewall blowout, tire shredded etc). Has not happened yet but if / when this happens you do not want to be stuck someplace to wait days for a new tire.

The potholes are so bad here if you miss seeing one it can easily pop your tire, also have bent steel rims before on a pothole so the rims may hit something and be compromised as well which could mean you want a full size spare.

I still carry tire patches and sealant for non-catastrophic flats, and an air pump as well.

Think I saw somewhere it weighs about 7lbs more for the full size spare compared to the donut so to me this is worth the extra weight.
    Last edited by sunbeam; 01-22-2024 at 01:51 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunbeam For This Useful Post:

inuvik (01-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well ideally never need to use the full size spare but an emergency blowout or unrepairable flat (ie. tire sidewall blowout, tire shredded etc). Has not happened yet but if / when this happens you do not want to be stuck someplace to wait days for a new tire.

The potholes are so bad here if you miss seeing one it can easily pop your tire, also have bent steel rims before on a pothole so the rims may hit something and be compromised as well which could mean you want a full size spare.

I still carry tire patches and sealant for non-catastrophic flats, and an air pump as well.

Think I saw somewhere it weighs about 7lbs more for the full size spare compared to the donut so to me this is worth the extra weight.
    I'm not questioning a full size spare tire. I carry a full size spare tire in my Mirage 24/7.

I am curious what 5 tire rotation pattern you are planning to use, & how often you are planning to implement it?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm not questioning a full size spare tire. I carry a full size spare tire in my Mirage 24/7.

I am curious what 5 tire rotation pattern you are planning to use, & how often you are planning to implement it?
    No 5 tire rotation pattern. You rotate the 4 tires as usual and keep a pristine spare.