Thread: Dealer wanted SSN# for Cash sale?!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Dealer wanted SSN# for Cash sale?!?

I was talking to a salesman at Shirlie Slack Mitsubishi in Fredericksburg, VA. I told him I would be paying Cash for the Mirage. He said he needed my Social Security Number. WHY? Its a cash sale. No credit checks. Anyone have any idea? I gave it to him. Feeling a little worried now. Is this a thing in V.A.?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I've had it happen to me, no problem, they are good people. Same dealership I got mine from.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    My dealer wanted mine, but it was for title & registration with Ohio.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    In Denmark, you can't really buy something without your Social security number.. Lets say you wanna buy something that cost more than 1500 dollar and you wanna pay with a creditcard or cash in a shop, if you don't give up your SSN, they shop are not alowed to sell it to you because it's against Danish law.. Sometimes it's frustrating, because it feels like your only a number (when you think about it) otherwise Danish people are happy and freindly

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    If they turn in that cash to the bank and the bank finds out all of the bills' serial numbers are from the 1971 DB Cooper Heist, they want to be able to find you!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They are probably required to ask for your SSN due to changes in the Patriot Act. Large cash transactions (especially over $10k) raise red flags, especially if they are received by dealers who also provide their own financing.

If I attempt to deposit $10k or more in cash at my bank, I have to complete some forms proving the source of the cash. Same thing with mutual funds, investments, brokerage accounts, etc.
    Last edited by GeoStalker; 03-10-2016 at 09:20 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 41.2 mpg (US) ... 17.5 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.4 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GeoStalker For This Useful Post:

chris_top_her (03-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    SSN is for Registration purposes 1st. Also if your a criminal they can sell you the car. But expect a knock on your door from some not so polite Gestapo breaking down your door. Also what Geo said too. Perfectly fine. Us dealers are not here to hurt people we are just trying to make a living supplying cars to our friends, family and neighbors.

There is no I in team. But there is a PU in group and you guys stink.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 35.1 mpg (US) ... 14.9 km/L ... 6.7 L/100 km ... 42.1 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dontee For This Useful Post:

flotownj (03-10-2016)