Thread: Help, towing capacity for 2015 Mirage ES CVT

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Help, towing capacity for 2015 Mirage ES CVT

I just installed a hitch, I checked owners manual it says cant tow anything. I'm looking for a small pop up camper for road trip (Miami to LA aprox. 2 grand mile). So how many pounds can a mirage safe tow?

UPDATE: thanks for your answer, but how come there is some hitch manufacturer still built for this car. I saw a several website hitch with ball mount.

Last edited by Sickodo; 05-22-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickodo View Post
    I just installed a hitch, I checked owners manual it says cant tow anything. I'm looking for a small pop up camper for road trip (Miami to LA aprox. 2 grand mile). So how many pounds can a mirage safe tow?
    if you use the "Google Custom Search" in the upper right hand corner there has been a lot, and I mean a lot of discussion about this issue. This thread is close to 300 posts alone.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-with-a-mirage

The official answer is "zero".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-21-2016),poorman1 (05-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Your Mirage is specifically not rated for towing. Use the money for bedbug-free hotels instead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickodo View Post
    I just installed a hitch, I checked owners manual it says cant tow anything.
    No offense, but you probably should have done these two things in reverse order. There was quite a contentious debate about towing here. The poster in that thread was going to use a 5-speed car to tow, which was bad enough given the car's tiny brakes, tiny tires, tiny clutch, tiny engine, tiny shocks, flimsy rear suspension, poor handling, etc. I wouldn't even tow cans on strings to go with a "Just Married" announcement on the back of a CVT-equipped Mirage.

There is a reason vehicles meant for towing and hauling...such as pickup trucks...aren't offered with CVTs. CVTs just aren't strong enough.

Bring your Mirage in to the dealer for a warranty claim because the CVT is shot and you can kiss that 10/100 warranty goodbye as soon as the dealer sees your trailer hitch.

I do think that they make fairly large cargo boxes that can be attached to trailer hitches, but actual campers and trailers are a no-no behind these cars.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 05-22-2016 at 09:01 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I wouldn't even tow cans on strings to go with a "Just Married" announcement on the back of a CVT-equipped Mirage.
    lolz

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)