Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone having A/C issues? (not cold, compressor cycling every few seconds)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    So it was low with no leaks found? Sounds like something you might be able to fix/refill yourself in the future using an AC recharge can.

My compressor also seems to cycle way more than any other car I have had. Wonder if mine is a little low as well.
    That was the official diagnosis. I said, "So it is just gone by magic?" and was assured that this is not uncommon at all! Maybe with Mitsubishis; I have never had to mess with the A/C on a car before 10 years or so. I think I remember reading some posts on here about others' cars that came underfilled from the factory so it would be worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by man114 View Post
    A can of refrigerant and a hose should cost no more than $20 and I've you've done it before this is super easy. I looked at it and it's no different than any other car.
    Eh, I should not be expected to top up the A/C refrigerant periodically, just like the vehicle should not consume coolant or oil which would point to a mechanical problem like a head gasket or bad rings. It isn't really possible to get the refrigerant level correct with those combo can/gauge things from Walmart, plus it is best if they pull a vacuum on it and get the air out instead of just cramming more refrigerant in there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    Good news: fixed!
    Bad news: no leaks found, charged $120 despite multiple requests to goodwill it
    Not sure how old your Mirage is or how long you have owned it but Mitsubishi has a warranty for the first year of ownership that should cover these expenses.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's two years old and has ~28k miles so they wouldn't cover it.

They said they checked the lines, fittings, condenser, schrader valves and evaporator and couldn't find any leaks. But if the refrigerant is low on a two-year-old car there's a leak somewhere -- it doesn't just disappear by magic.

Having purchased several new cars in the past, I guess I was incorrect in assuming that any issues on a nearly new vehicle would just be handled. With my Ford and Honda, minor issues that were obviously not my fault were taken care of even though the car was technically just outside of the 1-year/12k adjustment warranty.

I feel like I took the car to Pep Boys and the mechanic came out, slapped me on the back and told me that the blinker fluid was low and that it needed some new muffler bearings.
    Last edited by adrew; 06-21-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Well, here's hoping that takes care of the problem once and for all. If the problem comes back, then you know there must be a leak somewhere (and don't go back to that dealer.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is the kind of thing that needs to be reported to Mitsubishi Corporate. I know that the three dealerships that I have used wouldn't treat me like this... sounds like one of the problem dealers to me.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (06-27-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    You check the cabin air filter? Make sure it's not restricted which would reduce the effectiveness of the air conditioner.
    also check the blower might have a lot of dust mine was only about a yr and a month and when i checked yhe blower fins it was dirty

Name:  13096289_10154158250687250_3407726962319075876_n.jpeg
Views: 813
Size:  20.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    This is the kind of thing that needs to be reported to Mitsubishi Corporate. I know that the three dealerships that I have used wouldn't treat me like this... sounds like one of the problem dealers to me.
    Just dropped a letter in the mail - will see what they say.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Adrew, no I understand, I live in the northeast and it is fairly common given the nature of auto AC systems to be low after non use, I know you mentioned you did not have that issue. Better gauges than top of can Wal-Mart stuff aren't that expensive. I have a vacuum pump but typically there isn't a lot of air to worry about unless it is totally empty. I looked at the Mirage and it is a fairly tight system, you might have O ring issues.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just got a call from Mitsubishi Corporate. The rep was pleasant enough but my reimbursement request was denied based on the 1-year/12k mile warranty on the refrigerant.

I said that I didn't understand how the refrigerant could be low on such a new car if there were no leaks or damage and got a wishy-washy response that blamed the fact that I lived in Dallas where the system is worked harder than in other areas (which makes absolutely no sense). I asked what I should do if it is low again in six months and was told that another recharge would be covered since there is a 1-year/12k mile warranty on repairs. So that means I will have to pay again if it runs low next July, but every other recharge will be free, whoopee!

The car is just over two years old, has about 28k miles on it and has been maintained on schedule at the dealer.

She closed the call by asking if I had any more questions; I said I didn't but wanted to let them know that I was not at all satisfied with the customer service I have received from Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc., (which is located at 6400 Katella Avenue in Cypress, California) and that I have lost confidence in and am not satisfied with the reliability of my 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES. /SEO

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    I have a brand new one a month old, and yesterday i notice the the ac compressor is on and off every 1or 2 minutes. I suspected something strange since new.. Every time a do highway travel at constant speed with air con on... I felt the engine power not constant.. Like as i was turning the ac on and off... Monday im going to mitsubishi.